Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, the best device from Samsung this year. It comes with top-notch specifications and amazing performance. And with OneUI it is even better as it offers customization which is useful in many ways. You can even get the root access on your phone. And here in this guide, you will know how to root Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra along with how to unlock bootloader of Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.
Galaxy Note and Galaxy S series are the flagship series that packs with flagship specs. And Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is this year’s flagship phone that comes with a 6.9-inch dynamic AMOLED QHD+ display with the 120Hz refresh rate. There are two models featuring Exynos 990 and Snapdragon 865+ processor. But rooting the Snapdragon variant is not easy and here we will share the guide to root Galaxy Note 20 Ultra Exynos 990 variant.
The Galaxy Note 20 ultra-performance is exceptional and you can even increase the performance and customization with the root access on your device. Rooting brings a lot of advanced features that you can tweak to improve your device performance. There are many advantages of root such as support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. Before rooting you need to unlock bootloader of the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. We will also share the unlocking guide.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Samsung phones are not easy to root since the release of One UI. But thanks to John Wu for the Magisk as with the help of it we can easily root Samsung phones. There is also another way to root Galaxy Note 20 Ultra using TWRP Recovery. But in this guide, we will be sharing the patched boot image method to root Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. It is easy and works with most of the devices. But first, we have to unlock bootloader of the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra which you can see below how to do it.
You May Also Like | Download TWRP Recovery for Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra Unlock Bootloader
For any modifications like rooting we have to first unlock the device bootloader. And each brand has its own process to Unlock Bootloader. Samsung also follows a different procedure for unlocking bootloader of the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. It is easy but the unlocking steps need to be carefully followed as it can brick your device.
- First take a full backup of your phone as unlocking the bootloader of Galaxy Note 20 Ultra will erase all the data.
- Once you have the backup, open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone > Software Information.
- In the Software Information, you will find the Build Number. Tap about 7-8 times on it to enable developer options. It will show ‘You are now a developer’.
- Go back to the main Settings and then go to Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- Now enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging in the Developer Options.
- After enabling the OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging power off your device. Press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down and connect your phone to your PC.
- It will show a Warning screen on your phone, and now you can release both buttons. Now press the Volume Up button once, and Galaxy Note 20 Ultra will boot into Download mode.
- Long press the Volume Up button when the device is in Download Mode and now the unlock bootloader on Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra will start and wipe all data.
- Reboot your phone and make sure that OEM unlocking is greyed out in Developer options. If not, then wait for a few days and repeat the steps.
Unlocking is an easy part. And if you have unlocked the bootloader of the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra then you can proceed with the rooting steps that you will find in the next section. But before you start implementing it on your device first make sure to go through the requirements.
- Take a full backup of your phone before rooting to ensure no data loss
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Download Odin Flash Tool
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked of your phone
- Download the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra firmware (use SamFirm or Frija)
- Install 7-Zip on your computer
Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra with Magisk
In the past few years, Samsung has increased the security on its phones especially after the introduction of the OneUI. This makes it difficult to root the phone but custom developers have also developed amazing apps and software that helps on rooting new phones. Here we are going to share the Magisk patched boot image. Let’s now see how you can root Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.
- Extract the downloaded Galaxy Note 20 Ultra Firmware on your computer and check for the AP file (file starting with AP). It will be in the tar format. Also, extract the Odin tool zip file on your PC.
- Copy the AP file from the extracted folder to your phone storage.
- Install Magisk Manager (canary build recommended) on your Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. Skip this step if the app is already installed on your device.
- Open the Magisk Manager app on your phone after installing it, and click on Install > Install.
- A pop up will appear, where you need to choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Browse and select the AP tar file and wait for the patching process. It can take a few seconds to patch the file.
- After patching the output file will be saved in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.tar.
- Copy the magisk_patched.tar file to your PC and extract it.
- You will find the boot.img file in the extracted folder. Copy it to your phone and patch it the same way as you did the AP file.
- Copy the new patched file (magisk_patched.img) to your PC. Rename it to boot.img. Right click on boot.img and then 7Z > Archive. From the options select the tar format and compress it.
- Open the Odin Flash Tool on your PC. And Make sure to untick the Auto-Reboot option in the Options tab in the Odin tool. Check the below screenshot for reference.
- On the right side of the tool, click on the AP and load the magisk_patched.tar file (The one that you compressed manually). Also in the Userdata tab load the boot.img that you patched later.
- Then Boot your Galaxy Note 20 Ultra into Download Mode. You can follow steps 6 & 7 from the unlock bootloader section to boot into download mode.
- Once your Galaxy Note 20 Ultra boots into Download Mode, connect it to your computer. The Odin tool will detect your phone, and it will show blue color in the first stack above ID: COM.
- After completing all the previous steps, click on the Start button. It will start flashing the patched Magisk file to your phone.
- It will give a Pass message on completion and then you can disconnect your phone.
- Now boot your phone into stock recovery (do not boot the phone into the system).
- From recovery wipe data by selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset option.
- Now reboot your phone into the system and again install Magisk Manager. Open Magisk Manager and it will show installed status which means the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is rooted.
After reboot, you can check the root status in Magisk Manager (Install it if not already). It should show both Magisk and Magisk Manager in green on the App home screen.
You can now use advanced features such as uninstalling default apps, and you can also remove ads using advanced Adblockers. In case if you have any queries then let us know in the comment section below.