Are you trying to load/import a third-party theme in a phone running on MIUI? but getting an error that third-party themes are not supported. Then this guide is the place where you will get the solution. Here you will know how to Install Third Party MIUI Themes on Xiaomi phones.
Many third-party themes can be easily imported but some display 402 error. There are multiple ways of installing third party themes without error includes custom ROMs based on MIUI like Xiaomi.eu ROM. All of these custom ROM support third-party MIUI themes but what if you don’t have a custom ROM. Then also you have few options to import third-party themes without Custom ROM and Root.
Third party themes are the themes which are not available on MIUI Theme store. And because of the MIUI policy, it doesn’t let install third party themes. There are many workaround methods which work for some themes and some themes are still not supported. So, in this case, you have only a few options like rooting, using a custom ROM. But at least you will be able to apply most of the MIUI themes. Let’s start the guide and make sure to follow the process carefully.
How to Apply Third Party MIUI Themes
Themes are the best option to customize any phone and luckily Xiaomi provides theme support. There are plenty of MIUI themes on Theme store but what if you like the theme that is not on the store. Well, then you need to follow this method to install Third party MIUI themes.
- Download any Third Party theme that you like (It should be in mtz format).
- Transfer the downloaded mtz theme to phone storage.
- Open Themes app on your Xiaomi phone.
- Go to My Account > Themes.
- Click on Import and locate the downloaded mtz theme.
- Select it and it will install on your phone.
- Now you can set the third party theme on your phone.
But if you get error such as ‘Third party theme not supported’ or ‘Third party themes cannot install’ or ‘themes from third party source are not supported, error 402’ then follow the below steps.
- Transfer the third party theme to the phone storage.
- Install Theme Editor for MIUI on your phone.
- Open the MIUI theme editor app.
- Click on browse and select the theme.
- Now click on Start > Next > Finish (you can also change the file name & location).
- It will now build the theme then press install (You can skip installing).
- Now close MIUI theme and open official Theme app.
- Go to My Account and Import the theme if you have not installed.
- Now it will work properly.
So there you have it the process of using third party themes on Xiaomi phones. Now you can easily import any theme.
It comes in use when you find any cool themes from Chinese developer but it doesn’t work on global MIUI so you can follow this procedure to install all the themes. Using MIUI theme editor makes the theme readable and so Themes app allow importing the theme.
This way you can import many themes. But still, some themes may not work properly. Sometimes after applying theme, they revert back to stock theme. This will only fix on rooting the phone or using a custom ROM based on MIUI. That’s all for this guide, you can share with other Xiaomi phone users who want to import third party themes.