Samsung Galaxy A40 is a mid range phone released back 2019 with good specifications. The device is still receiving official updates from Samsung as well as custom developments. And recently the device received the official TWRP Recovery support. So if you want to root your phone, now is a perfect time. Here you will know how to root Samsung A40 and unlock the bootloader of Galaxy A40.
Samsung is a brand that provides update support to its devices for at least two years since the launch. And this is the main reason that users have trust in Samsung phones as its phones receive the latest update similar to its flagship phones. Samsung Galaxy A40 is already in the market for more than a year and it is still an amazing phone. And it’s the right time to root or try custom ROMs as the device has passed its warranty period at least for users who purchased in the early sales. And also updates will be stopping soon.
The device is capable of running high end games including PUBG and if you don’t want to keep your phone out of date then the best option is to customize the phone. Galaxy A40 comes with some great specs such as 5.9-inch Super AMOLED FHD+ display, Exynos 7904 processor with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage. And to take full advantage of these features we can take full control over our phones by modifying our devices.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy A40
Rooting an Android phone is a trend ever since the Android released and earlier it was very easy. But now due to increased security and privacy on Android, rooting or other modifications also requires skills or at least some practice. It has many advantages especially at the root level which means you can change anything you want on your device. Some of the common and most used and common advantages include support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, etc.
If you are aware of the Xposed Framework which is a simple and biggest customization tool for an Android phone. And after root, you can install Xposed Modules as many as you want. The main objective of rooting is to not be dependent on the default apps and functions. But there is a catch, to root Galaxy A40 first you need to first unlock the bootloader of Galaxy A40. And if you don’t know the process, then you can follow the below method.
Samsung Galaxy A40 Unlock Bootloader (Guide)
Samsung phones are now more secure since the release of OneUI and it also affected the unlock bootloader process. However, most of the process is the same but you need to be extra careful while following the guide. If you don’t know about unlocked bootloader then you are probably using the device with a locked bootloader. And so first you have to unlock bootloader on Samsung A40 and then you will be able to root your Galaxy A40. It is a bit long process but if you follow each step carefully then you will have the unlocked phone after the process.
- Start with a full backup of your Galaxy A40 as this process will remove all data from your device.
- Once you have the backup, open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone > Software Information.
- In the Software Information, you will find Build Number. Tap about 7-8 times on it to enable developer options. It will show ‘You are now a developer’.
- Go back to the main Settings and then go to Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- Now enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging in the Developer Options.
- After enabling the OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging power off your device. Press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down and connect your phone to your PC.
- It will show a Warning screen on your phone, and now you can release both buttons. Now press the Volume Up button once, and Galaxy A40 will boot into Download mode.
- Long press the Volume Up button when the device is in Download Mode and now the unlock bootloader on Samsung A40 will start and wipe all data.
- Reboot your phone and make sure that OEM unlocking is greyed out in Developer options. If not, then wait for a few days and repeat the steps.
After unlocking the bootloader of your Galaxy A40, you are all good to root your device. But you need to make sure of some important points before you begin the root guide. You can refer to the requirement list given below.
- Take a full backup of your phone before rooting to ensure no data loss
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Download Odin Flash Tool
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked of your phone
- Download the Galaxy 40 firmware (use SamFirm or Frija)
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
Steps to Root Samsung A40 with Magisk
We can root Samsung devices in a few different methods such as using Magisk patched file or using a custom recovery. Here in this section, we will use the patched boot file. So if you don’t have a custom recovery then you can follow this guide to root your Galaxy A40.
- Extract the downloaded Galaxy A40 Firmware on your computer and check for the AP file (file starting with AP). It will be in the tar format. Also, extract the Odin tool zip file on your PC.
- Copy the AP file from the extracted folder to your phone storage.
- Install Magisk Manager (canary build recommended) on your Galaxy A40. Skip this step if the app is already installed on your device.
- Open the Magisk Manager app on your phone after installing it, and click on Install > Install.
- A pop up will appear, where you need to choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Browse and select the AP tar file and wait for the patching process. It can take a few seconds to patch the file.
- After patching the output file will be saved in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.tar.
- Copy the magisk_patched.tar file to your PC and extract it.
- Now copy Meta-data folder, boot.img, recovery.img, and vbmeta.img file to a different location and compress these files in one TAR file. Remember extracting it must directly give these four files, not inside any folder.
- Open the Odin Flash Tool on your PC. And Make sure to untick the Auto-Reboot option in the Options tab in the Odin tool. Check the below screenshot for reference.
- On the right side of the tool, click on the AP and load the magisk_patched.tar file (The one that you compressed manually).
- Then Boot your Galaxy A40 into Download Mode. You can follow steps 6 & 7 from the unlock bootloader section to boot into download mode.
- Once your Galaxy A40 boots into Download Mode, connect it to your computer. The Odin tool will detect your phone, and it will show blue color in the first stack above ID: COM.
- After completing all the previous steps, click on the Start button. It will start flashing the patched Magisk file to your phone.
- It will give a Pass message on completion and then you can disconnect your phone.
- Now boot your phone into stock recovery (do not boot the phone into the system).
- From recovery wipe data by selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset option.
- Now reboot your phone into the system and again install Magisk Manager. Open Magisk Manager and it will show installed status which means the Samsung Galaxy A40 is rooted.
Steps to Root Samsung A40 with TWRP Recovery
Using a custom recovery is the easiest way to root an Android phone. It just requires a custom recovery and then simply flash Magisk file. So let’s see how you can root your Galaxy A40.
- Download and copy the Magisk Zip file to your phone.
- Boot your phone into TWRP Recovery or any custom recovery you are using.
- Once booted into the TWRP Recovery, then tap on the Install button.
- Now browse and select the Magisk Zip file.
- Then swipe the slider to flash Magisk. And once done, reboot your phone.
After reboot, you can check the root status in Magisk Manager (Install it if not already). It should show both Magisk and Magisk Manager in green on the App home screen.
You can now use advanced features such as uninstalling default apps, and you can also remove ads using advanced Adblockers. In case if you have any queries then let us know in the comment section below.