We don’t usually write root guides for LG devices because of the Unlocking Bootloader restrictions. But guess what, today I am going to share how to root LG V60 ThinQ. Yes the LG V60 models now officially support unlocking the bootloader, which means we can root LG V60. It is one of the underrated flagship devices but if you have this phone then you can directly compare it with the Galaxy S20 series, and OnePlus 8 Pro. Here in this guide, you will know how to unlock bootloader on LG V60 ThinQ and how to root LG V60 ThinQ.
LG V60 is a dual screen beast that gives a big advantage over other flagship Android phones. LG V60 ThinQ comes with a 6.8-inch FHD+ display and also supports a secondary display. It packs with the latest Snapdragon 865 Processor which puts it in direct competition with other high end devices. The device also has an impressive set of cameras and as you know LG is one of the top class camera smartphone producers.
LG phones come with LG’s own UI which gives similar performance as Stock Android. It also has some additional customization options but still, nothing can match the liberty on Rooted phones. But as you know rooting requires unlocked bootloader so we will also share how to unlock bootloader on LG V60.
How to Root LG V60 ThinQ
If you have the question on your mind, what are the benefits of rooting an Android phone in 2020 or later. Then here’s a common answer which will give you a basic idea regarding root advantages.
Rooting comes with many advanced features such as support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. And if you love the next level customization then how can we forget Xposed Modules? Yes after rooting you can use Xposed Modules on your phone.
LG Phones are easy to root like other Android phones but it requires unlocked bootloader which is common for all devices. There are a few methods to root LG V60 like flashing Magisk with a custom recovery or we can flash a patched boot image with fastboot method. But as for now, the custom recovery is not available so we are going to use Fastboot method to flash patched boot image. Since we need an unlocked LG V60 so let’s first check how to unlock bootloader on LG V60 ThinQ. And then we move to the root guide.
LG V60 ThinQ Unlock Bootloader
All the Android phones come with locked bootloader by default unless we are going for unlocked ones that are available in a few regions and at cheaper prices. LG only allows unlocking the bootloader but only on selected devices.
And recently they added three new phones that can be unlocked and LG V60 is one of the phones. So it’s good news for users with LG V60 ThinQ. And there’s one more thing to note down is that the LG V60 ThinQ (LMV600EA) is only allowed to be unlocked. It means the unlock bootloader option is available only on the European Variant. But guess what, LG can come up with the news any time regarding support for other models.
By default, it restricts users from modifying their phones. It means we can not flash any files or can not install custom Recovery. Most of the smartphone brands allow us to unlock bootloader, but LG only allows unlocking bootloader for only a few selected phones. And recently LG updated the list and LG V60 ThinQ is the new device that supports unlocking bootloader.
We have already written a full guide on how to unlock bootloader on LG Phones. You can follow the same guide to unlock bootloader of LG V60 ThinQ.
Once you have unlocked the bootloader you can root your LG V60 ThinQ. Rooting is an easy process if you have a custom recovery. But as it’s not available, we will use the patched boot image. We need to patch the boot file so we need some tools and files that are given below.
- Unlock the Bootloader of LG V60 ThinQ
- Take a full backup of phone’s data
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download & Install Magisk Manager on your Phone
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your PC
- Download LG V60 ThinQ firmware (Same version that you are using)
Steps to Boot into Download Mode
- Open Settings and go to the General option on your phone.
- Then go to About Phone > Software Information.
- Find Build Number and tap on it 7 times, it will show “You are now a developer”.
- Go back to Settings > General Option.
- Scroll down below and open Developer Options.
- In developer options, enable USB Debugging. Also, make sure Enable OEM Unlock is turned on.
- Connect your phone to PC via USB cable.
- Open Command window or PowerShell window on your PC.
- Enter the following command and then allow USB Debugging on your phone
- Now enter the following command to boot into bootloader mode
adb reboot bootloader
- Once you are in bootloader mode, you are set to root the device.
Steps to Root LG V60 ThinQ with Magisk
- Extract the boot image file from the LG V60 ThinQ firmware and copy it to your phone storage.
- Now open the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- In the app, click on Install > Install.
- Then in the next screen choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ and select the boot image file from the phone storage.
- It will start patching the file and the output will be saved to the Download folder (maybe with name magisk_patched.img).
- Copy the patched boot file to your computer (in C:\adb location). And rename the file to boot.img.
- In the same location press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Open Command window here’.
- Boot your phone into Download/Bootloader Mode and connect the phone to PC using a USB cable.
- Enter the below command to flash patched boot image
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After installing the Magisk on your phone, reboot it to the system.
- Now you have the rooted LG V60 ThinQ.
After rooting your phone you will have more controls then you had earlier. You can now uninstall system Apps, block ads, install any zip file including custom ROMs and Recovery. Also, you can install various Modules on your phone for fixes and modifications.
You May Also Like | Download Google Camera 6.1 APK for LG G6, V20, V30, & V35 ThinQ
If you go through any error while rooting the device, then let us know in the comment section. We will reply with the solution to fix the error. Enjoy your rooted phone.
Related to LG: