LG is one of the underrated brands when it comes to Android Smartphones. The latest LG device, which is LG V60 ThinQ is a powerful beast and a direct competitor of Galaxy S20 & OnePlus 8 Pro. If you have an LG Android phone, then you are lucky as the companies allow unlocking bootloader. LG keeps adding new LG phones to the list of phones on which we can unlock the bootloader. Unlocking bootloader has many advantages that we are going to discuss in this guide. Also, here you get to know How to Unlock Bootloader on LG Phones.
Talking about the main feature of LG phones, which is its camera, then LG Phones stand in the top tier. Its performance is on par with other top-notch flagship phones. But due to less exposure and advertisement, its phones aren’t popular in the market. But if you have one then performance wise it is great. And as we know, LG phones are capable of a lot more that we get by default. So here comes the role of unlocking bootloader, which unleashes the power of LG phones and provides maximum performance.
Why Do We Need To Unlock Bootloader?
All the Android phones come with locked bootloader, which restricts advanced features like switching to a different carrier or rooting the phone. So unlocking bootloader opens the gate to many advanced features like Rooting, installing custom ROMs, Custom Recovery, and much more. This also allows users to run the latest OS on their older Smartphones that don’t even get official updates from the company. It means if you have an LG phone with unlocked bootloader then no one can stop you from customizing your phone.
Some brands like Oppo, Vivo, Nokia don’t even allow unlocking bootloader, so in this case, LG beats all these companies and gives full authority to the owner over their phones. If you unlock bootloader then you don’t have to worry about data leak from the company side as they lose control from your phone when you install Custom ROMs and GSIs. For users who like to root their LG phones, this is the first guide to start from. It is because rooting requires to unlock the bootloader first. Check out the advantages and disadvantages of unlocking bootloader on LG phones.
LG Unlocking Bootloader – Advantages
- Custom ROMs support
- Custom Recovery support
- Install third party themes
- Flash custom boot animation
- Apply Custom fonts
- Root your LG Phones
LG Unlocking Bootloader – Disadvantages
- It can void warranty of LG Phones
- Unlocking bootloader will wipe all data
- It can replace Widevine L1 with Widevine L3
Supported LG Phones to Unlock Bootloader
There are many LG phones in which we can unlock bootloader. And here is the list of all support LG Phones till the date of sharing this article.
- LG V50: LMV500EM for the European market
- LG V40: LMV405EBW for the European market
- LG G7: LMG710EM for the European market
- LG V30: H930 and H930G for the European market
- LG G6: US997.USA for the U.S. open market
- LG G6: H870 for the European market
- LG V20: US996.USA for the U.S. open market
- LG V10: H960A for the European market and Android M (Except France)
- LG G5 SE: H840 for the European market
- LG G5: RS988.USA for the U.S. open market
- LG G5: H850 for the European market
- LG G4: H815 for the European market
If your device is on the list, then you can follow the below guide to Unlock Bootloader of LG phone. And if your phone is not on the list, then first check out your phone compatibility on the LG developer website.
How to Unlock Bootloader on LG Phones
The method to unlock bootloader on LG phones is a bit complicated compared to other brand devices. But with this guide, you can easily Unlock Bootloader. Before moving to the main steps, make sure to go through the requirements given below.
- Take a full backup of your phone
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- It will void warranty of your LG phone
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on your PC
- Install LG Driver on your PC
Step to Check IMEI on LG Phones
- Open Settings on your phone.
- Now scroll down in Settings > General and tap on About Phone.
- In the About Phone section, look for Status and open it.
- You will find the IMEI number for your phone, so write it down in notepad on your PC.
After collecting IMEI numbers for your phone, you are ready to enable developer option and unlock the bootloader of LG Phones.
Steps to Enable Developer Options on LG Phones
- Open Settings on your LG device.
- Now go to Settings > General > About Phone.
- Check for Software Info and open it on your phone.
- Then tap on Build Number around 7-8 times, and it will show ‘You are now a developer’.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on LG Phones
- Open Settings on your phone and go to General > Developer Options.
- In developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB debugging.
- Now connect your LG phone to the computer using a USB cable.
- Open Command window or CMD on your computer.
- Now in the command window, enter the below command.
- Entering the above command will ask for authorization on your phone, so click on Allow debugging.
- Then enter the below command to boot your LG phone to Bootloader Mode or Fastboot Mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your phone is in Fastboot mode, enter the below command to get unlock device id.
fastboot oem device-id
- The above command will show some id of your device, so copy both line codes and paste in notepad. Make the code in one line without spaces and copy the one line code.
- On your browser, go to the LG Official unlock link. Make sure to sign-in on the site. It is compulsory, as it will send an unlock file to your mail.
- After login, go to the same link and scroll down to the end of the page and click on ‘Starting Unlocking the Bootloader.’
- It will open the next page, and there you need to enter the required details including the IMEI number of your phone. And in Device ID enter the one line code that you got in step 12.
- After filling the required details, click on Confirm. Then click on Agree in the Legal Terms page, and it will send the unlock file to your mail.
- Download unlock.bin file that sent to your mail and save the file to C:\adb folder.
- In C:\adb location, replace the address C:\adb with CMD and press enter. It wi open the command window.
- Now in the command window or CMD, enter the below command.
fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
- The above command will unlock bootloader of LG phone, and it will delete all data. Wait until it shows success in CMD.
- Now enter the below command to boot your phone into the system.
- Your phone will now boot into the system with unlocked bootloader.
That’s it, set up your device, and enjoy all the advantages of unlocked bootloader on your LG Phones. You can now root your phone, or even you can install various custom ROMs to enjoy the latest Android OS. For root guide, you can explore the Root category on our website where we post different rooting methods and tips.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to unlock bootloader on LG Phones with official methods. There are also some unofficial methods, but those methods can brick your phone or you may have to pay for it, so I recommend to follow only official methods. If you have any questions, then let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on LG: