Samsung S20 series is the latest flagship series by Samsung launched in early 2020. All three Galaxy S20 phones packed with next level specs including 120Hz refresh rate. There are three phones in this series including Galaxy S20, Galaxy S20 Plus, and Galaxy S20 Ultra. You can easily guess that the S20 Ultra is the pro variant and comes with impressive cameras. No doubt that all three phones perform well in daily use, but if you want more features like customization. Then you can root your phones. Here you will know How to Root Samsung S20 Plus and guide to unlock bootloader on Galaxy S20 Plus.
All three Samsung S20 phones can be rooted with the same method. So if you have any of the three phones then you can follow this guide. The Galaxy S20 Ultra comes with a quad rear camera setup with the main sensor of 108-megapixel sensor which supports 100x zoom. Whereas the other two phones come with the less powered camera hardware. All three Galaxy S20, Galaxy S20 Plus, and Galaxy S20 Ultra come with Snapdragon 865 processor.
Along with flagship level hardware, the Galaxy S20 series comes with optimized OneUI. It offers features like customization and one handed operation. But if you need advance features like custom boot animation, third party themes, custom fonts and more then you can root your device. Rooting brings advance features to any Android device but it requires the bootloader to be unlocked. And so in this guide, we will also share the guide to unlock bootloader on Samsung S20. Let jump into the root guide.
How to Root Samsung S20 & S20 Plus
Earlier rooting Samsung phones were easier but now it has become difficult to root Samsung devices especially the phones releasing in 2020 or after. It means rooting the Samsung Galaxy S20 series is complex but not impossible. There are few methods to root Galaxy S20 Plus. We can either flash Magisk through a custom recovery or flash patched file using the Odin flash tool. To root any device we have to first unlock the bootloader. So first we will share the guide to unlock bootloader on Samsung Galaxy S20 phones and then below you will find a guide to root the phone.
Samsung Galaxy S20 Unlock Bootloader
All the Android phones come with locked bootloader by default. And to root any phone we have to first unlock bootloader. Samsung has shifted to OneUI from Experience UI and it is more secure and comes with dual layer security. And it makes the process tougher to unlock bootloader on Galaxy S20. The process is still the same but at last, you need to make sure that it is complete. Before you unlock bootloader you should know that it will trip the Knox feature and it will delete all data of your phone.
- As unlocking bootloader will reset the device so make sure to take a full backup.
- Open Settings on your Galaxy S20 and go to About Phone section.
- Look for Build Number and click on it about 7-8 times to enable developer options on your Galaxy S20 phone.
- Now go back to Settings and then go to Additional Options > Developer Settings.
- In developer options, enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
- Then turn off your phone. Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together and parallelly connect it to your computer.
- Release both buttons when the Warning screen appears. After that press Volume Up button once and the Galaxy S20 will boot into Download Mode.
- When device in Download Mode, long press Volume Up button to unlock bootloader of Samsung S20 phones. It will now delete all data from the phone and unlock the bootloader.
- The phone will automatically boot into the system. Then follow step 2 and step 3 to enable developer options again.
- Now make sure that OEM unlocking is greyed out in developer options. If it is greyed out, then you have successfully unlocked bootloader on Galaxy S20 phones and if not then you try again in a few days.
So that’s all you have to do for unlocking bootloader of Samsung S20. The same method you can use to unlock bootloader of other Samsung phones. And once you have unlocked the bootloader, you are all set to root your phone. So if you want to root your phone then follow the below guide.
- Take a full backup of data before rooting
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Download Odin Flash Tool
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked of your phone
- Download the firmware (the same version on which your phone is running)
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
Root Samsung S20 Plus/Ultra with Magisk (Not Tested)
Samsung phones with OneUI are tough to root because of the different file systems and partition. But with some research, we can root Samsung phones. And using a patched file is the common method that is working for most of the phones. But as of now, the method is not tested so if you can try the method to root the Galaxy S20.
- Extract the downloaded Firmware on your computer and there you will find a tar file starting with AP. Also extract the Odin tool zip file.
- Copy the AP file to your phone storage.
- Install the Magisk Manager on your phone and open the App.
- In the Magisk Manager click on Install > Install.
- Now it will pop up a few options so choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Locate and select the AP tar file and wait for the patching.
- And once patching is complete, the output file will be saved in the Download folder with name magisk_patched.tar.
- Now copy the magisk_patched.tar file on your PC and remember the location.
- Run the Odin Flash tool on your PC.
- Switch to Options tab in the Odin tool and untick Auto-Reboot.
- On the right side of the tool click on the AP and locate the magisk_patched file. Click on the BL and load the BL file from extracted firmware and similarly load the CP and CSC file in its respective section.
- Now you need to Boot your Galaxy S20 in the Download Mode so first Power off your phone. And follow Step 6 and Step 7 from unlock bootloader section to boot into Download Mode.
- Connect your phone to computer skip if already connected. The tool will now detect your phone that you can see in blue color near ID: COM.
- When everything mentioned above is done then click on the Start button. Now it will start flashing the Firmware including Magisk patched file.
- Wait for flashing and after completion, it will show Pass message. Now disconnect your phone and follow the below steps carefully.
- You need to carefully boot into the rooted system using the below button combination.
- Press & hold the Volume Up + Power button and release all the buttons when you see the warning screen.
- That’s all, now you have successfully rooted your Samsung S20.
After rooting you still have a lot to take care of, like you need to reboot into particular partition like recovery, root system, non-root system and more. So to boot into a particular system follow the below shortcut buttons.
- System without Root: Normal power-up
- System with Root: Press & hold the Volume Up + Power button and release all the buttons when you see the warning screen.
- Recovery Mode: Press & hold Volume Up + Power button together and when you see Warning screen release only the Power button and keep pressing Volume Up button until you see Recovery.
In case if you have bricked your phone while performing root, then you can follow this guide to fix the bricked Samsung phone.
You May Also Like | 10 Best Samsung Themes for your Galaxy Smartphone
So there you have it the complete guide on How to Root Samsung Galaxy S20 with Magisk and how to unlock bootloader on Samsung S20 Plus. If you have any questions on your mind then share it in the comment section.