Poco M3 is an Android device from Xiaomi released in November 2020. It is a device with impressive design and performance. And if you own the Poco M3 then you are a lucky user as you can easily root your phone. Also, the phone already starts getting custom ROMs for users looking for a better experience. In this guide, you will know how to root Poco M3 and how to unlock bootloader of Poco M3.
Poco is also becoming an independent brand as its market share is increasing because of amazing devices like Poco M3. And Poco M3 will surely help the brand claim as it is a great device. Poco M3 comes with a 6.53-inch FHD+ display. The device powered Snapdragon 662 processor integrated with Adreno 610 GPU. Poco M3 coupled with 4GB RAM along with 64GB and 128GB of internal storage.
Like other Xiaomi phones, Poco M3 also packs with MIUI which is a custom OS. It has an interactive UI but most of you already used MIUI. And so you may find it boring. And if you want a refreshing UI. Then you can either use different MIUI themes or you can also root your device. Xiaomi phones are popular when it comes to rooting or custom development. Here we are going to share how to unlock bootloader of Poco M3 along with the root guide.
How to Root Poco M3
Xiaomi brand is popular for its transparent OS that allows users to change their devices as they want. It includes installing a custom ROM, Recovery, Custom Kernel, or even rooting the phone. As Poco is a sub-brand with the same custom UI, it also gets similar attention from custom developers as Mi and Redmi devices. Rooting any Android phone requires unlocking bootloader and so first let’s check how to unlock bootloader on Poco M3.
Poco M3 Unlock Bootloader
Like other OEMs, Poco phones also come with locked bootloader. It means users can not make any system changes that include rooting. And so users who want to root their phones need to first unlock the bootloader. Fortunately, Poco also follows a simple way for unlocking the bootloader. And to unlock bootloader you don’t need to wait for more than a week. Let’s now jump into the guide to unlock the bootloader of Poco M3.
- First, take a full backup of your Poco M3 as unlocking the bootloader will delete all data from your device.
- Download the official Mi Unlock Tool on your computer from their official website. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your computer.
- Log in to your Mi Account in Settings and then wait for at least 7 days. You can also try without waiting for 7 days.
- Now go to Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device.’ Also, Sync all Apps data at least once.
- Open Settings and go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version, and it will display ‘You are now a developer’.
- To access developer options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In the developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Now turn on the internet connection on Poco M3 with the same number that you used in the Mi account. Then again, go to the Developer Options > Mi Unlock Status and link your Mi Account.
- Then power off your device then long press Volume Down + Power button together to boot Poco M3 into Fastboot mode. When the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone release both buttons.
- Make sure that your PC is connected to an active Internet network connection. Then open the Mi Unlock Tool. Sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Poco M3.
- When Mi Unlock Tool detects your phone click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will now unlock the bootloader of Poco M3, and this will erase all the data.
After unlocking the bootloader of Xiaomi Poco M3, you can check in the developer options under Settings. If the OEM unlocking is greyed out then the bootloader is unlocked successfully. Or you can check in the unlocked status in the developer options. It will show unlocked icon then the device is unlocked. And you can proceed with rooting or any modification like installing custom ROMs. Before proceeding with the rooting steps, make sure to go through the requirements.
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver (Skip if already installed)
- Take a full backup before beginning the process
- Download Poco M3 firmware (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Poco M3
Rooting an Android phone brings a lot of new features to the device. Some of these features include support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. These are some basic functions and with root access, you can perform any advanced tasks. Let’s now jump into the rooting steps.
- First, extract the Poco M3 firmware on your computer and find the boot.img in the extracted folder.
- Copy the boot.img and Magisk Manager APK to your Poco M3.
- Now install the Magisk Manager and open the app on your phone.
- In the Magisk Manager click on the Install > Install.
- On the next screen you will find two options, so choose “Select and Patch a File.” And then select the boot.img.
- It will start patching the boot image file, so wait for the patching to finish.
- After patching, the output file will be saved in the download folder with name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Copy the output magisk_patched.img file to your computer (C:\adb location) and rename the file to boot.img.
- Now turn off your phone. And boot Poco M3 into Fastboot mode (press & hold Volume Down + Power button together).
- When your Poco M3 is in Fastboot mode, connect your phone to the computer.
- Go to C:\adb location and replace the location tab with CMD and press enter. It will open the command window on your computer.
- To check the device connectivity, enter the below command in CMD. It should return some ID, which means the device is connected. If it didn’t show, then enter the same command again.
- Then enter the below command to flash the patched boot image and root Poco M3.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing, reboot your phone into the system and enjoy the root access on your device.
After rooting your Poco M3, you can experience new UI and advanced features. If you are also getting Ads on your device then you can block these Ads with advanced Ad blockers. And if you like to customize your phone. Then you can also install Xposed Framework on your phone to use Xposed Modules.
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Poco M3 along with a guide to unlock bootloader on Xiaomi Poco M3. If you have any questions on your mind, then let us know in the comment section.