Redmi 9 Power is the latest budget phone from Xiaomi. You can guess from its name that it comes with a massive battery for longer battery backup. This is the first Redmi phone to get a Power variant in its 9 iterations. If you are a proud owner of Redmi 9 Power then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to Root Redmi 9 Power. We will also share how to unlock bootloader of Redmi 9 Power in this guide.
Xiaomi phones are all-time favorites if you like to get advanced features on your device. The device comes with a big 6.53-inch FHD+ (1080×2340 pixels) display. There is a Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection on the display. Redmi 9 Power has a 2GHz Snapdragon 662 processor. The device is available in 4GB RAM and 64/128 GB storage. And its selling feature, the 6000mAh massive battery that can power your device for days.
Xiaomi phones are popular among custom developers. It is because Xiaomi allows users and developers to easily make any changes on the device. And Redmi 9 Power will also get many custom ROMs, Recoveries, Modules in the future. You can also root your Redmi 9 Power. Here in this guide, you will also know the method to unlock bootloader of Redmi 9 Power.
How to Root Redmi 9 Power
Root access is a state that you can achieve by making changes in some system files. This is generally used for getting advanced features on Android phones. Since the release of Android rooting is possible and it is still worth it. Root access lets users add custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. But to proceed with rooting you need to first unlock bootloader of Redmi 9 Power. And then you can root your device.
Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power Unlock Bootloader
All the Android phones come with a locked bootloader by default. It means you can not root your phone by default. It is not just the case for Xiaomi but all phones. Each OEM has its own method to unlock bootloader. And fortunately, Xiaomi has one of the easiest processes to unlock bootloader. Now let’s see how to unlock bootloader of Redmi 9 Power.
- Unlocking bootloader will delete all the data, so first start with Taking a full backup of your phone.
- Download the official Mi Unlock Tool on your computer from its official website. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your computer.
- Now open Settings on your Redmi 9 Power and log in to Mi Account. Then wait for at least 7 days. You can also try without waiting for 7 days.
- Then in Settings, go to Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device.’ Also, Sync all Apps data at least once.
- Open Settings again and go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version, and it will display ‘You are now a developer’.
- To access developer options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In the developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Now turn on the internet connection on Redmi 9 Power with the same number that you used in the Mi account. Then again, go to the Developer Options > Mi Unlock Status and link your Mi Account.
- Then power off your device then long press Volume Down + Power button together to boot Redmi 9 Power into Fastboot mode. When the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone release both buttons.
- Make sure that your PC is connected to an active Internet network connection. Then open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Redmi 9 Power.
- The tool will detect your phone and then click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will now unlock the bootloader of Redmi 9 Power, and this will erase all the data.
Once you have unlocked the bootloader, you can modify your phones such as rooting, flashing custom ROMs, Custom Recovery, and more. Now you can jump to rooting steps after collecting files required for rooting.
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver (Skip if already installed)
- Take a full backup before beginning the process
- Download Redmi 9 Power firmware (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power
There are a few methods to root present Android phones including Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power. But the most common and working method is using the Magisk. Magisk can be used for rooting any Android phone systemless. You can follow the below guide for rooting your Redmi 9 Power.
- Extract the downloaded Redmi 9 Power firmware on your computer and find the boot.img in the extracted folder.
- Copy the boot.img and Magisk Manager APK to your Redmi 9 Power.
- Now install the Magisk Manager and open the app on your phone.
- In the Magisk Manager click on the Install > Install.
- And in the next screen, you will find two options, choose the option “Select and Patch a File.” And then select the boot.img.
- It will start patching the boot image file, so wait for the patching to finish.
- After patching, the output file will be saved in the download folder with name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Copy the output magisk_patched.img file to your computer (C:\adb location) and rename the file to boot.img.
- Now turn off your phone. And boot Redmi 9 Power into Fastboot mode (press & hold Volume Down + Power button together).
- When your Redmi 9 Power is in Fastboot mode, connect your phone to the computer.
- Go to C:\adb location and replace the location tab with CMD and press enter. It will open the command window on your computer.
- Now to check if the device is connected, enter the below command in CMD. It should return some ID, which means the device is connected. If it didn’t show, then enter the same command again.
- Then enter the below command to flash the patched boot image and root Redmi 9 Power.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing, reboot your phone into the system and enjoy the root access on your device.
You can check the root status from Magisk Manager app. Open Magisk Manager and observe if it shows installed status in Magisk and Magisk Manager status. If it is showing green tick or ask for update then your device is successfully rooted.
Once you have root access on your device, you can change any root file or configuration to tweak your phone. Root access brings many new features such as the option for uninstalling default apps, block Ads from the system, and more.
If you like to try different Xposed Modules then you can also flash Xposed Framework on your device. It allows users to try modules like Busybox and more.
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Redmi 9 Power. And a guide to unlock bootloader on Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power. If you have any questions on your mind, then let us know in the comment section.