Samsung has admired smartphones with unique design. And therefore you will find foldable phones from Samsung such as Galaxy Fold, Galaxy Z Flip etc. In 2020, Samsung released two flip devices, Galaxy Z Flip and Galaxy Z Flip 5G. Galaxy Z Flip is a hit series because of durable build and amazing performance. If you have a Galaxy Z Flip phone then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to root Samsung Galaxy Z Flip. We will also share how to unlock bootloader of Galaxy Z Flip phones.
Galaxy Z Flip series looks promising and we could see some more phones coming next year on this series. Both Galaxy Z Flip phones falls under flagship devices. Galaxy Z Flip 5G is the latest out of the two and comes with the latest Snapdragon 865+ processor. Whereas the standard Galaxy Z Flip comes with Snapdragon 855+ processor. Both phones run on Android 10 based One UI 2.5 which is highly customizable.
Both phones perform great and soon both devices will get the Android 11 update. But if you want more features and better performance. Then you can root your Galaxy X Flip phone for many advanced features. Some of the basic features include support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes and more. Here you will also know how to unlock bootloader of Galaxy Z Flip.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy Z Flip (5G)
If you like tweaking your Android phones by modifying system configuration then you are probably aware of the root access. Rooting is still the best option for any Android users who want unlimited features without any custom ROMs. Samsung phones are challenging to root, but it is possible with Magisk. This guide will work for both Galaxy Z Flip and its 5G variant. As you know rooting requires an unlocked bootloader, so first we will share how to unlock bootloader of Samsung Galaxy Z Flip. Let’s now jump to
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Unlock Bootloader
Galaxy phones have enhanced security features since the release of One UI. And it means unlocking bootloader is now tough. But you can still unlock the bootloader. Unlocking bootloader is a necessary requirement for rooting an Android phone. All OEMs have different processes for unlocking bootloader. And Samsung follows an easy process which you can follow to unlock bootloader of Galaxy Z Flip 5G.
- Take a full backup of your Galaxy Z Flip as this process will remove all data from your device.
- Once you have the backup, open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone > Software Information.
- In the Software Information, you will find the Build Number. Tap about 7-8 times on it to enable developer options. It will show ‘You are now a developer’.
- Go back to the main Settings and then go to Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- Now enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging in the Developer Options.
- After enabling the OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging power off your device. Press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down and connect your phone to your PC.
- It will show a Warning screen on your phone, and now you can release both buttons. Now press the Volume Up button once, and Galaxy Z Flip 5G will boot into Download mode.
- Long press the Volume Up button when the device is in Download Mode and now the unlock bootloader on Samsung Z Flip will start and wipe all data.
- Reboot your phone and make sure that OEM unlocking is greyed out in Developer options. If not, then wait for a few days and repeat the steps.
After unlocking the bootloader you can modify your device such as flashing custom recovery, custom ROMs or even rooting. It means the device is all set for rooting. Before proceeding with rooting steps make sure to go through the list of requirements.
- Take a full backup of your phone before rooting to ensure no data loss
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Download Odin Flash Tool
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked of your phone
- Download the Galaxy Z Flip firmware (use SamFirm or Frija)
- Install 7-zip on your PC
Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G
- Extract the downloaded Galaxy Z Flip Firmware on your computer and check for the AP file (file starting with AP).
- Copy the AP tar file to your phone storage.
- Install Magisk Manager (canary build recommended) on your Galaxy Z Flip. Skip this step if the app is already installed on your device.
- Open the Magisk Manager app on your phone after installing it, and click on Install > Install.
- A pop up will appear, where you need to choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Browse and select the AP tar file and wait for the patching process. It can take a few seconds to patch the file.
- After patching the output file will be saved in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.tar.
- Open the Odin Flash Tool on your PC. And Make sure to untick the Auto-Reboot option in the Options tab in the Odin tool. Check the below screenshot for reference.
- On the right side of the tool, load patched file in AP. And load respective BL, CP, and Home CSC file (That are in the firmware).
- Then Boot your Galaxy Z Flip into Download Mode. You can follow steps 6 & 7 from the unlock bootloader section to boot into download mode.
- Once your Galaxy Z Flip boots into Download Mode, connect it to your computer. The Odin tool will detect your phone, and it will show blue color in the first stack above ID: COM.
- After completing all the previous steps, click on the Start button. It will start flashing the patched Magisk file to your phone.
- It will give a Pass message on completion.
- After this, load the Magisk_patched tar file and flash it on your tab.
- Now reboot your phone into the system and again install Magisk Manager. Open Magisk Manager and it will show installed status which means the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G is rooted.
Now you have Galaxy Z Flip with root access which means you can now enjoy advanced features. On Android phones, you can use Xposed Framework for tons of customization options. You can use various Xposed Modules for customizations and new features.
Root access also gives an option to remove apps that come pre-installed. You can also use Ad-blockers to block ads from the system.
You May Also Like | Download Google Camera 7.4 for Samsung Galaxy Z Flip
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Galaxy Z Flip 5G and how to unlock bootloader of Samsung Galaxy Z Flip. If you have any queries then let us know in the comment section.