OnePlus has always been the best flagship killer, but with the OnePlus 8 series, the company is now in a big league with Samsung and other Smartphone companies. Features like wireless charging and IP68 rating were missing on OnePlus devices, but they acknowledge the need for these features and included in the OnePlus 8 Pro. The camera has also improved, and its performance is in par with other flagship phones. Recently we shared a guide to root OnePlus 8. And here, you will get to know How to root OnePlus 8 Pro.
OnePlus 8 Pro is the real competitor to other premium flagship like Galaxy S20 Ultra, iPhone 11 Pro and other. The OnePlus 8 Pro features a big 6.7-inch AMOLED display with a 120Hz refresh rate. It comes with the latest Snapdragon 865 processor, which has X55 Modem for 5G support. The device is available in 8GB/12GB RAM and 128GB/256GB internal storage. On the camera department, the OnePlus has upgraded to the quad camera setup. The setup includes 48MP primary sensor, 48MP ultra wide sensor, 8MP telephoto sensor, and a 5MP color filter lens.
The OnePlus 8 Pro runs on OxygenOS, which works smoothly as compared to other custom UI. It has many customization options, which gives an extra edge to the performance. We can even root OnePlus 8 Pro to get additional features that can not be used by default. Rooting offers features like custom fonts support, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. You must have heard of Xposed, which is one of the best tools for customizing any Android phone. After rooting, you can also install various Xposed Modules to custom and add more features on OxygenOS. So let’s get into OnePlus 8 Pro root guide and guide to unlock bootloader on OnePlus 8 Pro.
How to Root OnePlus 8 Pro
OnePlus has many users, and its phones are popular among custom developers. So its phones also receive custom ROMs, custom recoveries, and more. Rooting OnePlus devices are easy, and you can also root your OnePlus 8 Pro using this guide. There are some methods to root OnePlus 8 Pro like flashing Magisk through a custom recovery or flashing a patched file on the phone. Here we are going to use the patched file to root OnePlus 8 Pro. But rooting requires unlocking bootloader, so first, we will share the guide to unlock bootloader on OnePlus 8 Pro.
OnePlus 8 Pro Unlock Bootloader (Guide)
All the Android smartphones come with locked bootloader for security reasons. But we can not root the phone as it requires unlocking the bootloader. And luckily, OnePlus allows its users to unlock the bootloader, unlike some brands Nokia, Oppo, Vivo, which doesn’t allow unlocking bootloader. If you are unaware of the process, then go through the steps to unlock bootloader on OnePlus 8 Pro.
- First, take a full backup of your phone as unlocking bootloader on OnePlus 8 Pro will delete all data.
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on your computer.
- Now open Settings on your OnePlus 8 Pro and go to About Phone option.
- In About Phone, you will see Build Number, so tap about 7-8 times on it. It will display ‘You are now a developer.’
- Go back to main Settings then go to System > Developer Options.
- In developer option, enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging. Also, enable the Advance reboot option from developer options.
- Now long press power button, and it will give a few extra options, select the Bootloader option. You can also boot into fastboot by using shortcut buttons.
- The OnePlus 8 Pro will now boot into Fastboot Mode/Bootloader mode.
- When the phone is in Fastboot mode, connect it to the computer.
- Now open command/CMD window on your PC. To check if the device is connected, enter the below command. It will give some device id.
- Once it is connected, enter the below command.
fastboot oem unlock
- The above command will prompt options on your phone. Now use the Volume buttons to toggle options. Select ‘Unlock the Bootloader’ and press the Power button.
- The unlock process will remove all data and USB Debugging. The device will now auto-reboot into the system after finishing the unlocking.
- Set up your device and enjoy OnePlus 8 Pro with unlocked bootloader.
After unlocking the bootloader you are all set to root OnePlus 8 Pro. As you know, we are going to use the magisk patched file, so first go through the prerequisites given below and then steps for root.
- Take a full backup of your phone
- Download Magisk Manager APK on your phone
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked on your phone
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver installed on your PC
- Download firmware for your phone (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Guide to Root OnePlus 8 Pro
- First extract the boot.img from the downloaded firmware and copy the boot image to your OnePlus 8 Pro. You can use different methods to extract the firmware.
- Install the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk Manager on your phone and click in Install > Install.
- Now choose the option ‘Select and Patch a File’ and locate the boot.img file that you copied earlier.
- When you select the boot.img file, it will start patching the file. After patching, the output file will save in the Download folder with name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Copy the patched file to your computer C:\adb location. Rename the file from magisk_patched.img to boot.img.
- Boot your OnePlus 8 Pro to Fastboot Mode using steps given in unlock the bootloader.
- When the device is in Fastboot Mode connect your phone to the compute using a USB cable.
- Go to C:\adb location and replace the location tab with CMD and press enter. It will open the command window on your computer.
- In the command window, enter the below command, and it should return some ID, which means the device is connected.
- Now enter the below command to flash patched boot image and root OnePlus 8 Pro.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After complete flashing, reboot your phone into the system and enjoy the root privilege on your phone.
That’s all you have to follow for rooting OnePlus 8 Pro or other OnePlus phones. After rooting you can access advanced features like blocking ads from phones, removing system apps that you don’t use but available on the phone by default.
You May Also Like – Download Google Camera for OnePlus 8 Pro
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root OnePlus 8 Pro along with a guide to unlock bootloader on OnePlus 8 Pro. If you have any queries, then let us know in the comment section below. Enjoy rooting.