In 2020, Xiaomi released a bunch of Poco series phones. Poco C3 is one of the latest devices of the Poco series. It is an entry-level device but packs with some good specifications. And if you don’t know, we can easily root Xiaomi phones for advanced features. Here we are going to share how to root Poco C3 and how to unlock bootloader of Poco C3.
Poco series has been quite popular since the release of Poco F1 which is the first phone of the series. At first, everyone was thinking that the Poco series will only be for flagship devices. But Xiaomi had different plans and they introduced some budget phones and entry-level phones. Poco C3 is an entry level device that comes with MediaTek Helio G35 processor.
The device runs on Android 10 based MIUI 12 out of the box. MIUI is known for customization, but it lacks many advanced features. And here comes the role of rooting an Android phone. Rooting brings support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. Poco C3 has an advantage as it is a Xiaomi phone. Xiaomi phones are easy to root. We are also going to share how to unlock bootloader of Poco C3.
How to Root Poco C3
Xiaomi is everyone’s favorite as it allows its users to easily root its devices. And even Xiaomi devices are flexible if you end up bricking your phone. There are many guides and tools for Xiaomi devices. You don’t have to wait for more than a week to unlock bootloader of Poco C3. It means you can root immediately after unlocking the bootloader. So let’s start the guide with unlocking method.
Poco C3 Unlock Bootloader
All the Android phones come with the locked bootloader. It restricts users from flashing files or customizing system files. But fortunately, Xiaomi allows its users to easily unlock bootloader of their phones. Poco is Xiaomi’s sub-brand and it follows all the methods the same as other Xiaomi devices. And so you can follow the same method as other Xiaomi devices. Or you can go through the below guide.
- First, take a full backup of your phone as unlocking bootloader on Poco C3 will delete all the data of your phone.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool on your PC. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
- Now open Settings on your phone and login to Mi Account and wait for at least 7 days. And if already logged in for more than 7 days, then skip this step.
- Then go to Settings > Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device’. Also, Sync all App data at least once.
- Now you have to enable developer options, so go to About Phone and tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version, and it will display ‘You are now a developer.’
- Then open Developer Options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Connect your device to the active internet connection with the same number that you used in the Mi account. And then, go to Mi Unlock Status (in developer options) and link your Mi Account.
- Now boot your Poco C3 into Fastboot mode. Turn off your phone and then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together and release buttons when the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone.
- Make sure your PC is connected to an active Internet network connection. Then open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Poco C3.
- When it detects your phone, click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will now unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Poco C3, and this will erase all the data.
Note: If the tool stops at 99%, then wait for a few days and try again with the same method.
After unlocking the bootloader, you will have permission to change system settings and flash files. Also, you can easily root your device with a simple method. But before heading to the rooting steps, make sure to collect required files and applications.
- Make sure to unlock Bootloader of Poco C3
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on PC
- Download Poco C3 firmware (the same version which is installed)
Steps to Root Poco C3 with Magisk
Unfortunately, the Poco C3 does not have any official development group as of now. It means you may not get custom recovery or custom ROMs anytime soon. But you can still enjoy advanced features by rooting your phone. You can root Poco C3 with the popular Magisk tool. Here in this guide, we are going to use a Patched boot image to root Poco C3.
- First, copy the downloaded Magisk Manager apk on your phone and install it.
- Extract the downloaded Firmware on your PC. Open the extracted folder and copy the boot.img to your phone storage.
- Open the Magisk Manager app and click on the first Install, and in the next pop up screen, click on Install.
- In the next screen, choose ‘Select and Patch a File.’
- It will take you to file storage, select the boot.img file. It will start patching the file, wait for the patching process.
- After patching, the patched file will be saved in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Then copy the patched file to your computer at location C:\adb. And rename the file to boot.img.
- After that, turn off your Xiaomi Poco C3 and boot into Fastboot mode (use the guide given in unlock bootloader). Connect your phone to the computer when it is in Fastboot mode.
- Go to the C:\adb folder, press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Open Command window here.’
- Enter the below commands on your Command/PowerShell window to check if it is connected, it should return id.
- Once it is connected, enter the below command to flash patched boot image to root Poco C3.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot file, Reboot your phone into the system using the below command.
- When the device boot into the system, open the Magisk Manager app, and follow the in-app instructions.
- That’s all, now your Poco C3 is successfully rooted.
You can check for the root status on the Magisk app. It will show two green ticks on the app if you have rooted your phone. After rooting you can use restricted features such as uninstalling system apps, block ads from the system.
If you like to try different custom ROMs then you can try the Xposed framework instead of a custom ROM. And then you can flash and Xposed Modules of your choice for a lot of new features.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Poco C3 along with a guide to unlock bootloader on Poco C3. If you have any questions on your mind let us know in the comment section.