Nokia 7.2 comes with an unlockable bootloader option; it may be because of a software loophole or bug, or Nokia is now allowing to unlock the bootloader. Anyhow, the unlocking bootloader is now possible, which means you can root your Nokia 7.2. Here’s the guide on How to Root Nokia 7.2 with Magisk.
Nokia does not allow unlocking bootloader on its phones except the Nokia 8 and Nokia 7.2. But you can unlock the bootloader by different methods like the hardware configuration and paying a trusted developer who can unlock bootloader of your phone. And now that Nokia 7.2 is free to unlock bootloader, you can easily root your phone, and I will help you with it. We will be using the Magisk to root Nokia 7.2.
The custom development must have started for the Nokia 7.2, but right now, while writing the TWRP Recovery or any custom ROM is not available. But looking at the popularity of the device soon, many custom development work will be available. You can root your phone without custom recovery by using the Magisk Patched Boot Image.
Must Read | Download Google Camera 6.2 for Nokia 7.2
How to Root Nokia 7.2
If you want to root your phone, then you only have few options like using a custom recovery or installing a patched image boot image. Rooting your Nokia 7.2 will let you customize your phone as you want. Here i am going to use the Magisk patched boot image to root Nokia 7.2. It is the best method to root an Android phone if you don’t want to install a custom recovery. We have divided the long guide into smaller guides for convenience. First, let’s start with the prerequisites.
- Take a full backup of data (To restore in case of data loss)
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked (Follow this guide)
- Install Magisk Manager on Nokia 7.2
- Download stock firmware for Nokia 7.2 (Same version that installed on the phone)
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on PC
Create Magisk Patched Boot Image
- Download and copy the Magisk Manager APK on your phone storage.
- Install the Magisk Manager app on your Nokia 7.2.
- Also, download the stock firmware and extract it on your computer.
- In the extracted folder, look for the boot.img and copy it to your phone storage.
- Now open the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- Click on the above Install option and then again click Install.
- Then choose ‘Select and Patch a File.’ Now browse and select the boot.img file.
- It will now patch the boot image, so wait for the process.
- The patched boot image file will be saved to the Download folder with name magisk_patched.img.
- Now you have successfully created the Magisk Patched Boot image.
Once you have created the magisk patched boot image, you can root the Nokia 7.2. I will continue the guide, assuming that you have already installed the ADB & Fastboot drivers on your computer.
You May Also Like | How To Root Nokia 7.1 & Install TWRP Recovery
Steps to Root Nokia 7.2
Step 1) Transfer the magisk_patched.img to C:\adb location on your computer.
Step 2) Rename the magisk_patched.img to boot.img.
Step 3) On your Nokia 7.2, go to Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
Step 4) In C:\adb, press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
Step 5) Now connect your phone to the computer and enter the below command to check if the device is connected or not.
Step 6) If the above command triggers a pop up on the phone for authorization, then allow it. Then enter the below command to boot Nokia 7.2 into Fastboot Mode.
adb reboot bootloader
Step 7) After booting into Fastboot Mode, enter the below command to flash the patched boot image and root Nokia 7.2.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
Step 8) After flashing the patched boot image, the device will auto-reboot into the system.
Step 9) Now open the Magisk Manager, if not installed, then first install it. After opening the app, complete on-screen instructions, and then it will reboot once again.
Step 10) Now you Nokia 7.2 is successfully rooted.
Note: If this method doesn’t work then you have to wait for the TWRP Recovery to root the phone. Let us know about the result.
That’s it; now you can use all the features of root, like use apps that require root access. You can also create & restore full backups whenever you want. Rooting also lets you apply custom font, custom boot animation.
There you have it the complete guide on how to root Nokia 7.2 with Magisk. If you have any queries, do let us know in the comment section.
Related to Nokia: