Nokia does not let users unlock bootloader on its phones except the Nokia 8. But some developers provide the paid service to unlock bootloader on Nokia phones. But with the recent update of Nokia 7.2, it is possible to unlock the bootloader for free. It may be due to some flaws in the update, or Nokia is now kind enough to allow it. Here you will know how to unlock bootloader on Nokia 7.2 for free.
You can easily unlock the bootloader without paying for it. It might be not possible to unlock the bootloader on upcoming updates so if you want to unlock you should do it right now. This method will work on update with build number 00WW_1_200 and September 2019 security patch. So if your device is on the same update, you can easily unlock the bootloader. Or you can try if the device is running on a different version.
All the Android smartphones come with a locked bootloader which restricts users for any type of system modification. You can not root or install custom ROM on your phone if the bootloader is locked. And so if you want to perform system modification like rooting, then you have to unlock the bootloader.
Must Read | Download Google Camera 6.2 for Nokia 7.2
Nokia 7.2 Unlock Bootloader
If you want to unlock bootloader then you probably know its advantages. But it is important to know its risks or disadvantages before you unlock the bootloader.
*Warning: Unlocking bootloader will delete all the data on your phone, so take a full backup. It will also void the warranty of your Nokia 7.2.
The guide to unlock bootloader of the Nokia 7.2 is long, so we have split the guide into a few sections for your convenience. The first method will include how to enable developer options, OEM unlocking and second method include unlocking bootloader. But first, check out the prerequisite to know which tools or drivers you need to unlock the bootloader.
- Take a full backup of your phone
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on the computer
Enable OEM Unlocking
First, you have to turn on the developer option to start unlocking the bootloader. It contains settings like OEM Unlocking which are necessary to unlock bootloader.
- Open Settings on your Nokia 7.2.
- Go to System > About Phone in the settings.
- In About Phone look for Build Number and tap on it continuously until it returns ‘You are now a developer’.
- Now go back to the main Settings and open System Settings.
- In System expand Additional Settings and open Developer Options.
- In Developer Options, first, enable OEM unlocking and then enable USB Debugging.
After enabling the OEM unlocking, proceed with the next method.
You May Also Like | How To Root Nokia 7.1 & Install TWRP Recovery
Boot Nokia 7.2 to Bootloader Mode
You need to connect your Nokia 7.2 to the computer for unlocking bootloader. Different smartphone brand has different ways to boot into bootloader mode. For Nokia, it is very easy to boot into Bootloader mode. Follow the below steps.
- Power off your Nokia 7.2 smartphone.
- Connect your phone to the computer using a USB cable.
- It will start charging your device, then long-press Volume Down + Power button together to boot into Fastboot Mode/Bootloader Mode.
- When you see the Bootloader or Fastboot screen release both buttons.
Now your Nokia 7.2 is in Fastboot/Bootloader mode. Do not disconnect your device from PC if you still want to unlock bootloader. And if you have changed your mind, then you can disconnect it.
Step to Unlock Bootloader on Nokia 7.2
- First, make sure your Nokia 7.2 is connected to PC in Fastboot/Bootloader Mode.
- Go to C:\adb and press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- To check if the device is connected to the computer, enter the below command. The command should return some ID if connected.
- Now enter the below command to start bootloader unlocking.
fastboot flashing unlock
- The above command will prompt option on your phone. From the options select ‘Unlock the Bootloader’, use the Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select the option.
- It will reset your device and unlock the bootloader.
- If you want to flash Firmware using the OST tool, then you need to unlock bootloader critical. You can skip further steps if you don’t want critical unlock.
- Connect your device in Fastboot Mode to the computer with a USB cable and write the below command.
fastboot flashing unlock_critical
- Repeat step 5, and it will again reset the phone. Reboot your phone and set up the device.
That’s it; you have now successfully unlocked bootloader on Nokia 7.2. Now you can easily root your phone, install Custom ROM and more. If you have any queries, you can ask in the comment section.