Samsung launched its latest Galaxy S series of devices earlier this year with a host of improvements. The Galaxy S23 series comprises three phones; Galaxy S23, Galaxy S23+, and Galaxy S23 Ultra. The new phone series comes with Snapdragon processors in every region. This means you can follow the same guide for root. Here you will know how to root Samsung Galaxy S23 and how to unlock bootloader of Galaxy S23.
Samsung Galaxy S23 is the most powerful phone series of the company. It comes with the latest Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 processor which comes with an integrated Adreno 740 GPU. All three phones have different displays, battery capacities, and storage.
Samsung has done a great job optimizing the new series and all three phones perform quite well in the battery test. Talking about the camera, there are upgrades in each phone but Galaxy S23 Ultra is on another level. Yes, there is controversy related to its camera but as long as the outputs are good, people will accept it. Now let’s jump to the guide to unlock bootloader and root Galaxy S23.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S23
The new S series phone comes with One UI 5.1 which offers a lot of customization. And with every upgrade, it will get better. But if you want advanced customization immediately, rooting is still the first solution. But among Android, Samsung is the toughest to root (except for phones with permanently locked bootloaders).
Just like any other phone, Samsung Galaxy phones also come with locked bootloader. And to root your phone, you need to unlock the bootloader first. So let’s first with the bootloader guide.
Note: Bootloader Unlocking is not possible for US and Canada models.
Samsung Galaxy S23 Unlock Bootloader
- First, take a full backup of your Galaxy S23 as unlocking the bootloader will delete all data.
- After taking the backup, open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone > Software Information. Locate the Build Number and Tap it 7 to 8 times to enable developer options. It will show ‘You are now a developer’.
- Go back to the main Settings and then go to Developer Options (it will be available at the last). Now enable OEM unlocking in Developer Options. Also, enable USB Debugging just in case.
- After enabling the OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging power off your device. Press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down and while holding both buttons connect your phone to your PC with USB Cable.
- Release both buttons once you see the Warning screen on your Galaxy S23. From the Warning screen press the Volume Up button to enter Download mode.
- Now long-press the Volume Up button and Galaxy S23 will show the bootloader screen.
- Press the Volume Up button and it will unlock the bootloader of your Samsung Galaxy S23. It will wipe all data. Reboot your phone once the process is done.
- Take a full backup of your phone before rooting to ensure no data loss
- Download Magisk APK [Working Build]
- Download Odin Flash Tool
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked on your phone
- Download the Galaxy S23 firmware (use Samsung Downloader or Frija) – the same version as your Phone
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver
Steps to Root Galaxy S23 with Magisk
- First, extract the Galaxy S23 firmware that you downloaded on your computer and check for the AP file (file starting with AP). Copy the AP file to your phone.
- Next, install the preferred Magisk app on your phone.
- Open Magisk on your phone and click on the Install button.
- Now choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ on the next screen.
- Browse and select the AP file and wait for the patching process. It will take a few seconds to patch the file and the output will be saved in the download folder as magisk_patched.tar.
- Copy the patched tar file to your PC. And then Boot your Galaxy S23 into download mode using the steps given above.
- Open the Odin Flash Tool on your PC. On the right side of the tool, load the magisk patched file in AP.
- After loading AP, also load BL, CP, and CSC from the extracted firmware.
- After all this, click on the Start button (considering your phone is connected to PC). It will start flashing the patched Magisk file to your phone.
- You will get the Pass message on completion and your device will reboot. Do a factory reset, if the device is stuck in bootloop.
- After reboot, turn on the internet connection on your phone. Install the Magisk app and perform the steps that come in a dialog box.
After rooting you will not receive OTA updates. And so to update your phone to the latest version you need to manually flash the latest build. To flash the latest build and want to keep the root, you need to patch the AP file of the latest firmware and flash the AP, BL, CP, and Home_CSC file. Don’t flash the CSC file instead use Home_CSC to keep your data.
Now you can verify the root access in Magisk or any third party root checker app. Remember you don’t need to root your phone to install custom ROMs, you only need to unlock the bootloader. You can enjoy all the apps and features that require root access. Also, if you like to try modules then you can also use various Xposed Modules on your phone. Here you can also check how to install Xposed Framework.
So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Samsung Galaxy S23 along with a guide to unlock bootloader of Galaxy S23. And if you have any queries let us know in the comment section below.