Sony released three devices in the first quarter of 2020 including the budget Xperia 10 II phones. It comes with some great specs that we generally see on high priced models. Sony may have lost its ranking position but their devices are still worthy. And if you are a Sony Xperia 10 II user then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to root Xperia 10 II with Magisk and how to unlock bootloader on Xperia 10 II.
Sony allows its phone to be unlocked but the phone needs to be listed on their official website which generally takes a long time. And if we talk about the Xperia 10 II then the company has recently added to the list of phones of which we can easily unlock the bootloader. So the method that we are going to share in this guide is official and working. Now let’s have a quick note on Xperia 10 II specifications. The device features a 6.0-inch FHD+ OLED display with Corning Gorilla Glass 6.
Xperia 10 II comes with a Snapdragon 665 processor which integrates with Adreno 610 GPU. It has a triple rear camera setup including a 12MP main sensor. And at the front, it has an 8MP selfie camera. It runs on the latest Android 10 but it lacks customization options. And in this case, you can root your device to get advanced features. But rooting Xperia 10 II requires unlocking the bootloader. So we are going to share both combined guides in a single guide.
How to Root Sony Xperia 10 II
Sony has nailed when it comes to the device specifications, but they had to be clear with device names. As it is very hard to distinguish the standard and the latest models. But we can ignore that part as it is an amazing phone with the capability to perform better if root access is permitted.
Rooting an Android phone is still worth it in 2020 as we can get many advanced features which are disabled by default. And most of the advanced apps like terminal require root access. Rooting Sony Xperia 10 II allows you to install custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more.
If you like tweaking your phone with advanced customization options then Xposed Framework is the key to access all features. But it requires root access and then you will be able to use various Xposed Modules.
Sony phones have not great but a good history of custom development. And if you want to try something new then you can try rooting your phone, installing custom ROMs, and more. But for any modifications, we have to unlock the bootloader of Xperia 10 II. So let’s start with the guide to unlock the bootloader.
Sony Xperia 10 II Unlock Bootloader
All the android phones come with a locked bootloader by default for security reasons. The same case is with the Xperia 10 II. But Sony has recently added the Xperia 10 II in the list of phones that can be unlocked. It means we are now good to unlock the bootloader of Xperia 10 II with an official method. So let’s start with steps to unlock bootloader on Xperia 10 II.
- First, take a full backup of your phone as unlocking the bootloader will delete all data from your phone. It will also remove the DRM keys used for Sony Apps.
- Open Dialer on your phone and enter *#*#7378423#*#* and it will open the Service Menu.
- Go to Service Info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If you are allowed to unlock bootloader you will see ‘Yes.’
- If your bootloader is unlockable, then go ahead with further steps. Install Google USB Driver on your Windows computer, skip if you are using macOS or Linux.
- Go to this link and scroll down at last and Select your device (it can be with the name Xperia X10). Then follow steps given in the site to get the unlock code. If your phone is not on the list, then it can take some time as it is new.
- Download Platform tools for your computer and extract it, remember the location of the extracted folder.
- Open Settings on your phone then head to About Phone. Now tap 7-8 times on the Build Number, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- Go to Settings > Developer option and enable OEM unlocking & USB Debugging.
- Now turn off your phone. Press & hold the Volume Up button and connect it to your computer, the Xperia 10 II will boot into Fastboot Mode.
- Now open the extracted Platform tools folder. In the folder press & hold Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ & ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- In the Command window, enter the below command to check the device connectivity. If it shows some id, then your phone is connected.
- Once your phone is connected, enter the below command to unlock bootloader on Sony Xperia 10 II.
fastboot oem unlock 0x<unlock code>
- Make sure to enter the unlock code in place of <unlock code> in the above command. After entering the command, it will now wipe all data and unlock bootloader on Xperia 10 II.
After unlocking the bootloader you are all set for the next method to root Xperia 10 II. We are going to use the common method which is a patched boot image to root the phone. But if you want you can directly install Magisk zip file from a custom recovery. Before we jump to steps make sure to go through the below requirements.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Sony Xperia 10 II
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Canary Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Sony Xperia 10 II Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone), you can use XperiFerm
Steps to Root Xperia 10 II with Magisk
- First, extract the firmware and find the boot.img file that we will use for patching. And copy the boot.img to your phone storage.
- Install and open the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- Now click on the first Install option and select Install again on the popup.
- In the next screen, choose the ‘Select and Patch a File’ option. And then locate the boot.img file and wait for the patching process.
- After patching, the file will be saved to the Download folder with name magisk_patched.img.
- Now copy the patched_boot.img to your computer in the extracted Platform Tools folder. Rename the file to boot.img (eg. magisk_patched.img to boot.img).
- Power off your phone and then boot your Sony Xperia 10 II into Fastboot mode. And for this, long press the Volume Up button and connect your phone to the computer. Release the button once the Fastboot screen appears.
- Go to the Platform Tools folder and press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- In the command window, enter the below command to check if the device is connected or not, entering the command should return some number id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Sony Xperia 10 II.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After that, reboot your device to the system.
- If the Magisk Manager is not installed on your phone, then install the app. Skip if the app is already present.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
After rooting your Xperia 10 II you can enjoy all the advanced features. Many of us aren’t even aware of the full capabilities of Root. If you are a developer then you can make most out of the root access on your phone. But if you are a normal user like me, still you can get functions like blocking system Ads from your phones. Also, you can uninstall any apps that come in the phone by default. There is so much to explore in a rooted phone, so enjoy all the advanced features.
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Sony Xperia 10 II and how to unlock the bootloader of Xperia 10 II. Let us know your experience with the Xperia 10 II phone. In case if you have any queries then let us know in the comment section below.