OnePlus long entered the budget smartphone market with their first OnePlus Nord device. And recently the OEM has released the second device of the lineup as Nord 2. The OnePlus Nord 2 is a worthy upgrade over the first Nord phone. If you have already got the OnePlus Nord 2 for yourself and are looking for root access on your phone, then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to root OnePlus Nord 2 and how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus Nord 2.
The OnePlus Nord 2 packs some good hardware that makes the device special. It features a big 6.43-inch FHD+ 2400 x 1080 resolution. And it keeps the 90Hz display which is also present in the first OnePlus Nord. The phone runs on the latest OxygenOS 11.3, it is still based on Android 11. OnePlus Nord 2 5G comes with MediaTek Dimensity 1200-AI integrated with ARM G77MC9 GPU. The phone is coupled with 6/8/12GB RAM options along with 128GB and 256GB Storage.
OnePlus Nord 2 also has a good camera setup. Having all these features, you can turn your device into a performance house. But you will need to tweak some settings and access to advanced features. To get all these privileges you will have to root your OnePlus Nord 2. Luckily it is possible and we are going to share the guide with you. Also, here you will know how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus Nord 2.
How to Root OnePlus Nord 2
OnePlus devices are popular and get a good amount of custom development work. It includes custom development support as you can find fixes for almost everything on the web. So this is one of the reasons anyone can go with device modification like rooting. If you do not wish to switch from OxygenOS but want a variety of customization, then rooting is the best way to go. Rooting brings a bunch of advanced features to OnePlus Nord 2. But to root your OnePlus Nord 2, you will have to unlock the bootloader of OnePlus Nord 2. So let’s first check the bootloader steps.
Unlock Bootloader of OnePlus Nord 2 5G
If you have rooted an Android phone then you must be familiar with the bootloader. By default, OnePlus Nord 2 comes with locked bootloader which restricts users from rooting the phones. And so to root your OnePlus Nord 2, you have to first unlock it. Luckily OnePlus allows users to unlock bootloader of their phones including OnePlus Nord 2. You can follow the steps given below.
- Take a full backup of OnePlus Nord 2 as unlocking bootloader will format data.
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on your computer.
- Now open Settings on your OnePlus Nord 2 5G and go to the ‘About Phone’ option.
- Check for the Build Number and tap it about 7-8 times. It will display ‘You are now a developer.’
- Go back to main Settings then go to System > Developer Options.
- Now enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging in developer options. Also, enable the Advance reboot option which will allow to boot the phone in different mode.
- Long press the Power button and it will show some options, click on three dots and select bootloader. You can also use shortcut keys to boot into bootloader.
- The OnePlus Nord 2 will now boot into Fastboot Mode/Bootloader mode. Connect your phone to the computer.
- Now open the command/CMD window on your PC. Enter the command to check the device connectivity with the computer. It will give some device id.
- Enter the given command to start unlocking bootloader on OnePlus Nord 2.
fastboot oem unlock
- The above command will prompt options on your phone. Now use the Volume keys to toggle options. Select ‘Unlock the Bootloader’ and press the Power button.
- Remember it will remove all data during the process. The device will now auto-reboot into the system after finishing the bootloader unlock.
- Set up your device and enjoy OnePlus Nord 2 5G with unlocked bootloader.
Once you have unlocked the bootloader, you are all good to proceed with rooting your OnePlus Nord 2. You can verify the bootloader from developer options, the oem unlocking must be enabled after reset. Before you start the root process, make sure to go through the prerequisites section.
- Take a full backup of your phone
- Download Magisk APK on your phone
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked on your phone
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver installed on your PC (Or Download Platform Tools)
- Download firmware of OnePlus Nord 2 5G (The same version that is installed on your phone)
- Some apps may not work including banking apps
Steps to Root OnePlus Nord 2 with Magisk
Rooting brings advanced options on an Android phone. Some of the basic features of root that you can use right away are custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. If you have unlocked the bootloader then follow the steps to root your OnePlus Nord 2.
- First extract the Nord 2 firmware and copy the boot.img to your phone.
- Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk app and click on the Install.
- Next choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from available options.
- Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb (Copy it in the platform tools folder if you have downloaded). Rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Now reboot your OnePlus Nord 2 to Fastboot or bootloader mode and connect it to your computer.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root OnePlus Nord 2.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image, reboot your phone.
- Install Magisk app if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
You can check for root access in any root checker app. The app will ask for root authorization which you will have to allow. Once you have rooted OnePlus Nord 2, you can use all the apps and features that require root access. It includes Magisk Modules, Xposed Modules, Key Mapper, and a lot more. You can also check the guide to install Xposed Framework.
So that’s all on how to root OnePlus Nord 2 5G phones and how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus Nord 2. If you have a OnePlus phone, you can check out more guides on OnePlus.