Asus ROG phone 3 is the latest gaming smartphone from Asus that features all the flagship hardware for awesome performance. In some cases like price and gaming it is even better than Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, and OnePlus 8 Pro. And this guide will help you to improve the performance further with hidden advanced features. Here you will know how to root Asus ROG Phone 3 and how to unlock the bootloader on Asus ROG Phone 3.
Many smartphone reviewers have named it the king of gaming smartphones which is completely true. It doesn’t come with a curved or bezel-less display so you don’t have to worry about breaking the screen even with a slight impact. Even without the curved or full-screen display, the phone looks cool. It features a big 6.59-inch FHD+ display with a 144Hz refresh rate for a smooth and faster touch response. This is the first phone to pack with the latest Snapdragon 865+ processor.
Usually, gaming phones do not come with a good camera setup but the Asus ROG Phone 3 has an amazing flagship camera setup at back and front as well. The phone comes with Android 10 based ROG UI which gives a lot of gaming based customization options. And rooting ROG Phone 3 will give additional features that are hidden by default or applied externally. But rooting requires unlocking bootloader so we will also share how to unlock bootloader of ROG Phone 3.
How to Root Asus ROG Phone 3
Rooting any Android phone nowadays is still beneficial in many ways. But it does come with some cost like you will lose the warranty. But some companies like Xiaomi do not void the phone warranty even if the phone is rooted. Now if we discuss the advantages of root then you can install custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and a lot more. Rooting also allows us to install various Xposed modules. But as you know that first, we need to unlock bootloader on ROG Phone 3 so let’s start with it.
Asus ROG Phone 3 Unlock Bootloader
All the Android phones come with locked bootloader by default which restricts users from rooting their phones. So here in this section, you will learn how to unlock bootloader of ROG Phone 3. Usually, it takes some time to receive the unlock bootloader method after the device release. But this time the company has officially shared the unlock tool for Asus ROG Phone 3.
I have unlocked bootloader on many phones including Samsung, OnePlus, Xiaomi, Realme, and Asus phones. Asus is the easiest to unlock bootloader which just requires installing an official app. The only deal with Asus is the availability of an unlock app. But as the unlock app is now officially available for ROG Phone 3, you can easily unlock bootloader within a few minutes. Let’s check how the Asus ROG Phone 3 unlock app works.
- Head over to the Asus ROG Phone 3 official support page.
- In the webpage switch to Drivers and Tools section.
- Click on the Select OS drop-down option and select Android.
- It will list all the important utility files including the Unlock APK.
- Now download the ‘Unlock Device App’.
- After downloading the APK transfer to your phone and install it.
- Now go to Settings > About Phone and tap 7-8 times on Build Number to turn on developer options.
- Go back to Settings > Developer Options and enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Open the ROG Phone 3 unlock app and accept its rules.
- Then you will have the button to unlock bootloader in the App itself. Remember that it will erase all data from your phone, so consider taking a full backup.
- After unlocking bootloader, set up your device and enjoy it.
Once you have unlocked the bootloader, you can now root your ROG Phone 3 as there is no restriction. It’s a gaming phone and you could do a lot more after rooting your device like modifying the game refresh rate support and more. So let’s jump into the rooting steps after a quick prerequisite list.
- First Unlock the Bootloader of ROG Phone 3 (use the above method)
- Take a full backup of phone’s data (To restore if you lose data)
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download & Install Magisk Manager on your Phone
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your PC
- Download Asus ROG Phone 3 firmware (Same version that you are using)
Steps to Root ROG Phone 3 with Magisk
- Extract the boot image file from the Asus ROG Phone 3 firmware and copy it to your phone storage.
- Now open the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- In the app, click on Install > Install.
- Then on the next screen choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ and select the boot.img file from the phone storage.
- It will start patching the file and the output will be saved to the Download folder (maybe with name magisk_patched.img).
- Copy the patched boot file to your computer (in C:\adb location). And rename the file to boot.img.
- Open the Command window from the same location. In case if you have macOS or Linux then download Platform tools and copy boot.img here and open command window here.
- Boot your phone into Download/Bootloader Mode and connect the phone to PC using a USB cable.
- Enter the below command to flash patched boot image
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After installing the Magisk on your phone, reboot it to the system.
- Now you have rooted Asus ROG Phone 3 with Magisk.
And now you can use all the root features to improve device performance and get more features. Root access allows us to install Ad-blockers to remove ads from System. Also, you can install the Xposed framework for amazing Xposed modules. Some phones come with a lot of apps that we don’t use and so if this is the case with your phone then you can uninstall those apps.
You May Also Like | Download Google Camera 6.1 for Asus ROG Phone 2
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root ROG Phone 3 and how to unlock bootloader of Asus ROG Phone 3. And if you have any questions regarding the device and guide then let us know in the comment section.