Asus ROG series phones are well known for gaming, and it outperforms most of the flagship devices when it comes to gaming. After the success of the first ROG phone Asus recently added ROG Phone 2 in the ROG series. As this is a gaming phone which has hardware capabilities to do wonders but initially you don’t get to use much of hardware because of limitations. If you want to increase performance and get additional features, then you need to root your phone. Here you will get to know How to Root Asus ROG Phone 2 & how to unlock bootloader on ROG Phone 2.
There are many reasons to root an Android phone like installing custom fonts, custom boot animation, Xposed modules, increasing device limitations and more. And rooting a gaming phone will have more advantages compared to regular phones because you can control everything including GPU, Screen capabilities for the smoother gaming experience.
Most of the popular Asus phones come with stock UI, but ROG phones have the custom ROG UI, which is similar to stock. And since it is the same as stock rooting the ROG Phone 2 will be easy as other phones with Stock UI. Rooting the phone requires unlocking bootloader, and we found an easy method to unlock bootloader of Asus ROG Phones 2.
How to Root Asus ROG Phone 2
It is easy to root ROG Phone II but still, you have to be careful while rooting your phone. There are many ways to root ROG Phone 2, but only a few methods are effective and working. Here in this guide, we will share the Magisk patched boot image method to root the device. It is a common method and works for devices like ROG phones. But as you know rooting is only possible if the bootloader is unlocked, so first, go through the guide to unlock bootloader on ROG Phone 2.
Asus ROG Phone 2 Unlock Bootloader (EDL)
Be default all the phones comes with locked bootloader, but in some region, you can also get phones with unlocked bootloader. If the bootloader is locked then you are restricted to perform any system modifications. There are many advantages of unlocking bootloader, but it also has a few disadvantages like warranty void and degrading Widevine. We found the EDL method which let you unlock bootloader without letting know the info to Asus. Follow the below steps to unlock bootloader of ROG Phone 2.
- Open Setting on your phone and go to Settings > System > About Phone > Software Information.
- Click on Build Number 7 times to enable developer options. Then go to Settings > System > Developer Options. And enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Download the Asus ROG Phone 2 Unlock bootloader file from this link. Thanks to johnny886 for the unlock file.
- Copy the file to your computer and extract the zip file.
- Now take a full backup of your phone because unlocking bootloader will delete all data of your phone. Then power off your phone.
- Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot ROG Phone 2 into Recovery Mode. Release both keys when you see the Recovery mode.
- In the Recovery press Volume Down button and go to ‘Reboot to Bootloader’ and then press Power button to boot into Bootloader Mode or Fastboot Mode.
- Once the phone is in Fastboot Mode connect your phone to PC. Then open the extracted folder and run the ‘Reboot to EDL Mode.bat’.
- Then run the ‘update_image_EDL.bat’ file. The device will automatically reboot into Fastboot after updating the image.
- Now run the ‘ONEKEY Unlock Bootloader.bat’ to unlock bootloader on Asus ROG Phone 2.
- In case if you want to lock bootloader then run the ‘ONEKEY LOCK Bootloader.bat’.
- Now the device will unlock if you run the unlock file and it will delete all the files of your phone.
Once the ROG Phone 2 bootloader is unlocked ,you can proceed to root your phone. But before that, you need to make sure to go through requirements.
- Make sure to unlock Bootloader of Asus ROG Phone 2
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on PC
- Download the firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed)
Root Asus ROG Phone 2 with Magisk Patched Image
- Copy the downloaded Magisk Manager APK on your phone and install the app.
- Now extract the Firmware on your PC and from the extracted folder copy the boot.img file to your phone (you can use Payload Dumper to extract boot.img).
- Now open the Magisk Manager app and click on first Install > Install.
- In the next screen, you get to Select Method, so choose ‘Select and Patch a File.’
- Then locate the boot.img file and wait for the patching process.
- The output patched file patched_boot.img will be saved in the Download folder.
- Copy the patched_boot.img file to your computer at location C:\adb. Rename the patched_boot.img to boot.img.
- Now power off your device and boot into Fastboot Mode with the same steps given in the unlock bootloader guide. And connect your phone to PC.
- Go to C:\adb and press Shift + Right click together on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- Now enter the below command to check if the device is connected or not. It should show some id on entering the command
- Once the device is successfully connected, enter the below command to flash patched boot image and root Asus ROG Phone 2
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Now reboot your device to the system by entering the below command
- When device boots into system open Magisk Manager and follow the in-app instructions.
That’s all, now you have successfully rooted your ROG Phone II with Magisk. You can use useful apps and modules to boot the performance of your phone, including gaming performance. Like you can add PUBG Gfx tool to enhance PUBG game experience.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Asus ROG Phone 2 along with a guide to unlock bootloader on ROG Phone 2. If you face any error while rooting your device, make sure to let us know in the comment section.