Sony recently releases three smartphones at once which are Xperia 1 II, Xperia 10 II, Xperia Pro. And Xperia 1 II also known as Xperia 1 Mark 2 is a real deal. It comes with a great choice of hardware like Snapdragon 865 processor, Triple rear camera with ToF, Android 10 and more. It is a flagship device and performs like one, so it means you will get the experience that you want. But if you want to add extra advanced features then you have the option to root the device. Here you will know how to root Sony Xperia 1 II and how to unlock bootloader on Sony Xperia 1 II.
The main feature of the device is its display which is a 4K OLED display with 6.5-inch in size. It comes with a cinematic aspect ratio to provide immersive entertainment to its users. Sony Xperia 1 II packed with 8GB RAM and 256GB UFS storage and it is expandable to 1TB via MicroSD card. There is one drawback on the device which is its front camera that has an 8-megapixel sensor. Apart from the specs, one more great thing about Sony phones is that we can easily root and customize our phones. It requires unlocking bootloader on Xperia 1 II.
If we talk about custom development then there are a lot of custom ROMs available for Sony devices. And after seeing the popularity of Xperia 1 Mark II we can say many custom developers will be interested in this phone. Other than that you can root your Xperia 1 Mark II which will allow you to customize your phone and get advance features. Rooting will allow you to install third party themes, custom boot animation, custom fonts and more. Below we have included a step by step detailed guide which will help you to root your device.
How to Root Sony Xperia 1 II
Sony phones are easier to root and unlock bootloader which is one of the best things about it. And unlike Realme, Vivo, Oppo, it has tools to flash Sony firmware which is helpful to upgrade, download and fix bricked phones. There are many methods to root Sony phones like Magisk, TWRP Recovery, Tools and more. But here we will share the guide to root Xperia 1 Mark 2 using Magisk patched image. To root the Xperia 1 II, first you need to unlock bootloader so let’s start with that.
Sony Xperia 1 II Unlock Bootloader
Android phones come with locked bootloader including Sony phones. And in this case, you can unlock your device manually. It allows to add an advanced feature but with the risk of some security that you can neglect if you are aware of it. Since Sony devices are easy to unlock bootloader and the steps are officially shared by Sony itself. It will void the warranty of your Sony device. Below you will find the guide to unlock bootloader on Sony Xperia 1 Mark 2.
Get Unlock Code :
- Go to the Sony official site for an unlocking code.
- On the web page go to last and under Select Your Device choose your Sony phone. If your device is new it can take a few days to appear.
- Check the IMEI number of your phone. You can find it in the About phone page. If your phone supports dual SIM then you need IMEI 1.
- Enter the IMEI number on the site and check the first two options.
- Then click on Submit to get Unlock Code. You will get the Unlock Code so copy the code.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Sony Xperia 1 II :
- The data will delete from your phone if you unlock bootloader so first take a full backup of your phone.
- Now check if your device is compatible to unlock bootloader open dialer and enter *#*#7378423#*#*. It will open the Service Menu on your phone.
- Then go to Service Info > Configuration > Rooting Status. And check the Bootloader Unlock status, it should be ‘Yes’. If your phone is a new release then you should wait for few days and try again.
- Now install a USB driver on your Windows PC. Skip this step if you are using macOS.
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on your PC which will detect your phone in the fastboot mode.
- In your phone go to Settings > About Phone and tap 7-8 times on Build Number to enable developer options on your Xperia 1 II.
- Once it is enabled go to Settings > Developer options and enable USB Debugging & OEM Unlocking.
- Power off your device and connect it to your computer.
- Now long press Volume Up button to boot Sony Xperia 1 II into Fastboot Mode.
- When your Xperia 1 Mark II is connected to the computer in Fastboot mode, go to C:\adb folder on your computer.
- Now enter CMD in the location field and press enter (Remove C:\adb and write cmd and press enter).
- The above step will open the Command window on your phone and now enter the below command to check if the device is connected or not. If connected it will return some ID.
- Now enter the below command to unlock bootloader on Xperia 1 Mar II.
fastboot oem unlock 0x<unlock code>
- In place of <unlock code> enter the real unlock code that you got by registering IMEI.
- It will now delete all data and unlock bootloader on your phone.
That’s it, your phone will reboot and then set up your device. Once the bootloader is unlocked on your device you are all set to root your device. But before you begin steps go through the given requirements below.
- Make sure to unlock Bootloader of Sony Xperia 1 II
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Download Magisk Manager APK (Canary Build)
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on PC, skip if already down
- Download the firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed)
Root Sony Xperia 1 II with Magisk Patched File
- Copy the downloaded Firmware on your PC and extract it.
- Open the Extracted folder and find the boot_XXXXX.sin file.
- Now copy the boot file to your Phone storage. Remember the location as you need it later.
- Install the Magisk Manager app on your phone and open it.
- Click on the Install > Install.
- In the next screen choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ and locate the boot.sin file.
- It will now patch the file and the output will be saved in the Download folder with name patched_boot.img.
- Copy the patched file to your computer (C:\adb). And rename it to boot.img (patched_boot.img to boot.img).
- Turn off your phone and connect the phone to your PC.
- Now boot your Sony Xperia 1 II into Fastboot Mode. Long press Volume Up button to boot into Fastboot Mode.
- Go to C:\adb and enter CMD in the location and press Enter (C:\adb to CMD). It will open the command window.
- Enter the below command to flash the patched file to root Sony Xperia 1 Mark 2.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- It will install the magisk patched file on your phone. Reboot your phone and enjoy the root access.
After rooting you will have access to the root of your system which means you can modify your device as you want. You can add Xposed modules to customize your phone like screen setup, improve performance and much more. Enjoy root feature on your phone.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Sony Xperia 1 II with Magisk along with a guide to unlock bootloader on Xperia 1 Mark II. If you have any questions on your mind then let us know in the comment section.
4 thoughts on “How to Root Sony Xperia 1 II and Unlock Bootloader (Guide)”
I get to the point where i enter the CMD to reboot to device but the device doesn’t reboot, i just get a message.
Also after following all steps i noticed i didn’t have a boot.img in my adb folder, Is this an issue?
Yes that can be the issue, Make sure to keep the boot.img file in the same location that set in the CMD.
Please be confirm if I unlock Bootloader on Xperia 1 ll, do i get lost special function of image quality Creator Mode (not effective when apply), Dolby, DSEE, camera more noise in low-light and more. Thank you for answer.
I think the default function will not be affected by unlocking bootloader.