OnePlus 8T is the latest flagship phone from OnePlus which comes with higher specs for top level performance. The device was released a few weeks ago and recently the company has also shared the kernel source for the device. It means it’s just a matter of time when the device starts getting custom developments. And you can already root your phone with just a simple method. Here you will know how to root OnePlus 8T and how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 8T.
OnePlus is a top brand that is popular among custom developers as it allows its users to easily Unlock Bootloader and customize the device as users want. This allows them to create or enjoy various custom ROMs with the latest updates. Let’s now check some of the device specifications. The OnePlus 8T comes with a big 6.55-inch FHD+ display that supports a 120Hz refresh rate.
OnePlus 8T is a flagship device and comes with the latest Snapdragon 865 processor which is integrated with Adreno 650 GPU. There are two different RAM variants of the OnePlus 8T (8GB & 12GB). The device runs on Android 11 based OxygenOS 11 out of the box. Along with all these amazing specifications if we add some tweaks and customization then it can outperform many big-budget phones. And this can be done by rooting OnePlus 8T that gives you full control over your device. In this guide, you will also know how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 8T.
How to Root OnePlus 8T
Rooting an Android phone is not an easy task in 2020. But some companies including OnePlus allows their users to easily unlock bootloader and modify their phones. There are many advantages of rooting an Android phone. Some of the basic features are that it gives a platform to support custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more.
If you know about the Xposed Framework that provides a platform for the biggest customization ever with the help of Xposed Modules. Xposed modules also require root access. You can easily root OnePlus 8T but first, you need to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 8T, and then we will head to the rooting section.
OnePlus 8T Unlock Bootloader
By default, all the OnePlus devices come with locked bootloader which is a part of security. It restricts users from any type of advanced modifications that includes writing on the system. So to root OnePlus 8T first we need to unlock its bootloader. And luckily, OnePlus allows users to easily unlock bootloader without any complicated methods. Each brand has a different procedure for unlocking bootloader and the OnePlus method counts in some easy ones. Let’s now get into the method.
- First, take a full backup of your phone as unlocking bootloader on the OnePlus 8T will delete all data.
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on your computer.
- Now open Settings on your OnePlus 8T and go to the ‘About Phone’ option.
- In About Phone, you will see Build Number, so tap about 7-8 times on it. It will display ‘You are now a developer.’
- Go back to main Settings then go to System > Developer Options.
- In the developer option, enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging. Also, enable the Advance reboot option from developer options.
- Now long press the Power button, and it will give a few extra options, select the Bootloader option. You can also boot into fastboot by using shortcut buttons.
- The OnePlus 8T will now boot into Fastboot Mode/Bootloader mode.
- When the phone is in Fastboot mode, connect it to the computer.
- Now open the command/CMD window on your PC. To check if the device is connected, enter the below command. It will give some device id.
- fastboot devices
- Once it is connected, enter the below command.
- fastboot oem unlock
- The above command will prompt options on your phone. Now use the Volume buttons to toggle options. Select ‘Unlock the Bootloader’ and press the Power button.
- The unlock process will remove all data and USB Debugging. The device will now auto-reboot into the system after finishing the unlocking.
- Set up your device and enjoy OnePlus 8T with unlocked bootloader.
Once you have unlocked the bootloader of OnePlus 8T, you are ready to root your phone. But there is one more thing you have to complete and that is the list of requirements that includes files and tools for rooting OnePlus 8T.
- Take a full backup of your phone
- Download Magisk Manager APK on your phone
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked on your phone
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver installed on your PC
- Download firmware for your phone (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root OnePlus 8T with Magisk
When it comes to root, there are only limited methods to Root OnePlus 8T. And in this guide, we are going to use Magisk which is probably used in all the other methods but in a different way. Also, there is no need for a custom recovery for this guide. So let’s check how you can root OnePlus 8T with Magisk patched files.
- First, extract the boot.img from the downloaded firmware and copy the boot image to your OnePlus 8T. You can use different methods to extract the firmware.
- Install the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk Manager on your phone and click Install > Install.
- Now choose the option ‘Select and Patch a File’ and locate the boot.img file that you copied earlier.
- When you select the boot.img file, it will start patching the file. After patching, the output file will save in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched file to your computer C:\adb location. Rename the file from magisk_patched.img to boot.img.
- Boot your OnePlus 8T to Fastboot Mode using the steps given in unlock the bootloader.
- When the device is in Fastboot Mode connect your phone to the compute using a USB cable.
- Go to C:\adb location and replace the location tab with CMD and press enter. It will open the command window on your computer.
- In the command window, enter the below command, and it should return some ID, which means the device is connected.
- fastboot devices
- Now enter the below command to flash patched boot image and root OnePlus 8T.
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After complete flashing, reboot your phone into the system and enjoy the root privilege on your phone.
You can now access all the features and apps that require root access. Such as you can uninstall any pre-installed apps, block Ads from the system. These are just basic features of root, and if you are well familiar with the root, then you can do a lot more with your OnePlus 8T.
In case if you bricked your OnePlus 8T, then you can unbrick your phone with this guide.
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root OnePlus 8T along with a guide to unlock bootloader on OnePlus 8T. If you have any queries, then let us know in the comment section below. Enjoy rooting.