Motorola is one of the leading smartphone brands when it comes to budget Android phones. Moto G Stylus is a popular phone series that comes with a stylus. It is one of the cheapest Android phones with stylus support. Motorola recently released its latest version Moto G Stylus 2022. Here’s how to root the Moto G Stylus 2022 and unlock the bootloader of the Moto G Stylus 2022.
The Moto G Stylus 2022 is an improved version of last year’s G Stylus. The new Moto G Stylus comes with a slightly new design such as the punch hole camera is now at the top center and the camera bump is slightly different. It has a 6.8-inch FHD+ 120Hz display. Latest Moto G Stylus runs on Android 12 OS out of the box.
There are three cameras on the back. The setup includes 50MP main camera, 8MP ultra wide camera, and a 2MP depth camera. At the front, it has a 16MP selfie camera. The new version comes with a 5000mAh battery with 18w Quick Charge support. The device comes with good specifications in its price range and also performs well. But users can also improve its performance by rooting Moto G Stylus 2022. Here you will also know how to unlock bootloader of Moto G Stylus 2022.
How to Root Moto G Stylus 2022
Motorola phones come with great software but it lacks many features and Moto phones usually get updates late. But users can get advanced features and freedom to install any app with root access. Yes, rooting is still worth your time. With root access, you can enjoy a variety of options that are not available by default. But for rooting you need to first unlock the bootloader of Moto G Stylus 2022. So let’s start with that.
Moto G Stylus 2022 Unlock Bootloader
Like other Android phones, Motorola phones also come with locked bootloader. This means you can not root your Moto G Stylus 2022 until you unlock its bootloader. Luckily Motorola allows users to unlock bootloader of their phones. It’s a bit different method than a few other brands but it is easy if you go through all the steps. So let’s find out how to unlock bootloader of Moto G Stylus 2022.
- Take a full backup of your Moto G Stylus 2022 as unlocking bootloader will reset your phone.
- Now install ADB & Fastboot drivers and Motorola USB Driver on your PC. You can also use platform tools if you don’t want to use ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- Open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times on Build Number. It should show ‘You are now a developer’ or you are already a developer.
- Go to Settings > System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Turn off your phone. Then Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Moto G Stylus 2022 into Fastboot Mode.
- Release both buttons once you see the Fastboot screen. Then connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable.
- Open Command window from C:\adb or from Platform Tools if you are using it (Guide to open CMD from a location).
- Now enter the below command to get a code.
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- The output will display a 5-line code. Copy the code and adjust it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy bootloader in case of windows and Info in the case of Mac.
- Next go to the Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on the ‘Can my device be unlocked’ button and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- You will receive a code in your mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in the below command and press Enter.
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader of Moto G Stylus 2022. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
After unlocking the bootloader you can verify it from developer options or from the fastboot screen. Now let’s check out the required files for rooting steps.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Moto G Stylus 2022
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Magisk APK
- Download the Moto G Stylus 2022 Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Moto G Stylus 2022
- Copy the Moto G Stylus 2022 firmware on your PC and extract the boot.img file from firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open the app and click on the Install button next Magisk.
- Now choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Look for the boot.img file and select it. It will start patching the boot image.
- After patching, the output file will be saved in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img or something related to it.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb or platform tools (whatever you are using). Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Now reboot your Moto G Stylus 2022 to Fastboot mode and connect it to your PC.
- Open CMD from C:\adb folder or platform-tools folder where you saved the boot image file (check guide here). You can open it by entering CMD in the file location.
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the next command to flash Magisk and root Motorola Moto G Stylus 2022.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image. Reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk if it’s not already installed. Check if the Magisk version is the latest. If there is an update, then update to the latest version.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
After rooting your Moto G Stylus 2022 with Magisk, you can verify it from Magisk or any third party root checker apps. Once you have root access on your phone, you can apply advanced customization, third party themes, and more. You can also install Xposed Modules. We have a guide on how to install Xposed Framework that you can check.
So this was a complete guide on how to root Moto G Stylus 2022 and how to unlock bootloader of Moto G Stylus 2022. If you have any queries regarding the root guide, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola: