Motorola is one of the oldest smartphone brands which is now owned by Lenovo. And currently, it is one of the best brands with popular mid-range phones. If you remember last year’s Motorola Edge series which is the flagship phone. Then you can also relate to the Motorola Edge S. But it is a mid-range phone with impressive hardware. Here you will know how to root Motorola Edge S and how to unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge S.
The device comes with a great set of hardware that makes the device a strong competitor in the market. Motorola Edge S is the first phone to be powered by the Snapdragon 870 processor which is a 5G chipset. The device features a big 6.7-inch display with 90Hz refresh rate. It is available in 6GB and 8GB RAM options along with 128GB & 256GB storage.
Motorola Edge S comes with a 5000mAh battery with fast charging up to 20W. The device runs on the latest Android 11 out of the box. As you know Motorola phones run on a UI similar to stock, which means you will not get customization options. But you can root Motorola Edge S to get root control of your phone. In this guide, we will also share the Motorola Edge S unlocking bootloader guide.
How to Root Motorola Edge S
If you like to root your Android phone then you must be aware that rooting an Android phone at present is a lot tougher. But it is possible with the help of the Magisk tool. You can also root Motorola Edge S with the help of Magisk. But first, you have to unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge S then you can root your device.
Motorola Edge S Unlock Bootloader
Motorola phones also come with locked bootloader (You can also find unlocked variants in some regions). It means you cannot root your phone or you can edit any root file. Luckily Motorola allows its users to unlock the bootloader with a few easy steps. Unlocking the bootloader also lets you flash custom ROMs on your phone.
- Take a full backup of your phone as unlocking the bootloader on Motorola Edge S will wipe all the data.
- To connect devices you need some drivers, so install ADB & Fastboot drivers and Motorola USB Driver on your PC.
- Open Settings and go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times on Build Number, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- After enabling the developer options, go back to Settings and then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Turn off your device. Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Motorola Edge S into Fastboot Mode.
- And when the Fastboot screen appears on the phone, release both buttons. Connect your phone to your PC after booting into Fastboot.
- Now open the Command window or CMD on your computer. Open Command window from Platform Tools location in case of macOS and Linux.
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- It will display a 5-line code. Copy the code and make it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in the case of Mac.
- Go to Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Then you will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in the below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge S. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
After following the above steps, you can check the bootloader status in developer options. The oem unlocking status must be greyed out. And once the Motorola Edge S bootloader is unlocked, then you can root your Motorola Edge S. Make sure to go through the given pre-requisites that contains drivers and files required in the rooting steps.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Edge S
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Canary Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Motorola Edge S Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Motorola Edge S with Magisk
You can easily root Motorola phones if the bootloader is unlocked. And if you want advanced features then rooting is the only option as it lets you modify root files. Some of the basic features which are possible after the root is support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. Here we will be using Magisk for rooting Motorola Edge S.
- Copy the Motorola Edge S firmware to your computer. And then extract the firmware using 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Open the extracted folder and copy the boot.img file to your phone storage.
- Install the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- After installing, open the Magisk Manager app and click on the first Install and again click on Install.
- It will ask for the method, so choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Now browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Motorola Edge S to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer. Follow the steps given in the unlock bootloader guide above.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window to check the device is connected or not, entering command should return some number id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Motorola Edge S.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After that, reboot your device to the system.
- If the Magisk Manager is not installed on your phone, then install the app. Skip if the app is already present.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
Once you have root access on your phone, you can use all apps and features that need root permission. It also includes tweaks on your phone. It let you flash Xposed Framework which is a gateway for Xposed Modules. These modules will help you to get many new features and customization on the device.
So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Motorola Edge S and how to unlock the bootloader of Motorola Edge S. In case if you have any issues, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola:
2 thoughts on “How to Root Motorola Edge S and Unlock Bootloader”
So I followed your guide, and the part where you get the code from Motorola sates :
Your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking.
So what then?
Wait for few days and try again. It may not be available for your model at the moment.