Moto G series is a popular budget smartphone series by Motorola owned by Lenovo. And Moto G8 Plus is a triple-camera beast that comes with laser autofocus. It features amazing features and performance is undoubtedly better than many phones at the same price level. But by default, many features are locked such as system-level customization and much more. You can unlock all the features by rooting your device. Here you will get to know how to root Moto G8 Plus along with how to unlock bootloader on Moto G8 Plus.
By default, all the phones including Motorola phones come with the locked bootloader. Which restricts users from customizing and writing on their phones. It means you can not install custom ROMs, custom Recovery and even you can not root your Moto G8 Plus without unlocking the bootloader. Motorola phones are also easy to root and so it is not going to be tough to root the phone.
Rooting will give advance features like Adblocker apps, performance boost, creating full system backups, adding Xposed modules for customizations and much more. Once the phone is rooted you can use apps that require root access like Titanium backup, Magisk Manager, flashify and more. Here we will share the effective method to root Moto G8 Plus without installing any custom recovery.
How to Root Moto G8 Plus
You can root your Motorola phones with more than one ways but you need to use Magisk in all the effective methods. Magisk is well known for systemless root. It let users select which app should have root access and which should not have access. But to root your phone first you have to unlock the bootloader so before rooting check out how to unlock bootloader on Moto G8 Plus.
- Take a full backup of data (Unlocking bootloader will delete all the data)
- Install Motorola USB Drivers on PC
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on PC
- Download Platform Tools
Must Read | Download Google Camera 6.2 for Moto G8 Plus
Moto G8 Plus Unlock Bootloader
- After downloading the Platform tool, Extract the Platform Tools zip file on your PC.
- Then open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone section and tap 7 times on Build Number to enable Developer Options.
- Go to Settings > System > Developer Options and enable OEM Unlocking.
- Power off your phone. Then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together.
- Once you see the Fastboot screen release both buttons. And then connect the phone to PC while in Fastboot mode.
- Go to platform tools folder, press Shift + Right-click on an empty area and select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Open Command window here’.
- In the command window, enter the below command to get unlock code
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- It will display 5 line code. Copy the code and make it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in case of Mac.
- Go to Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it in the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- You will receive a code in your Email. Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in below command and press Enter.
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Again enter the above command and it will unlock bootloader on Motorola G8 Plus. The unlocking process will delete all the data from your phone. After unlocking, reboot and set up your device.
Now you have successfully unlocked bootloader on your Moto G8 Plus. It means you are now able to root your phone.
Root Moto G8 Plus with Magisk Patched Boot Image
Here in this method, we are going to flash patched boot image on Moto G8 Plus to root the device. It is a universal method for rooting any Android device.
- First, install ADB & Fastboot driver on your PC. Also, Install Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- Download Firmware for your phone on your PC and extract the boot.img from the firmware.
- Copy the boot.img to your phone storage.
- Open Magisk Manager app and click on Install > Install.
- Now in the select method choose the option ‘Select and Patch a File.’
- Locate and select the boot.img and after patching the patched boot image will be saved in the Download Folder with name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the magisk_patched.img file to your computer (C:\adb) and rename the file to boot.img.
- Power off your phone and then boot your Moto G8 Plus into Fastboot mode, for this long press Volume Down + Power button together until you see the Fastboot screen.
- Once the phone boot to Fastboot mode, connect your device to the computer.
- In the C:\adb folder press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- In the command window enter the below command to check the device is connected or not, entering command should return some number id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Moto G8 Plus
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched file reboot your device to the system.
- Install the Magisk Manager app, skip if the app is already present.
- Complete the in-app instructions and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
That’s all now your device is rooted successfully. You can now use all the features of root, like apply custom font, third party themes, system-level ad-blocker and much more. In case if you want to install a custom recovery but you think that root access is required to install custom recovery then you are wrong. There is no need for root to install TWRP recovery. You just need to unlock bootloader and you are good to install TWRP recovery.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Moto G8 Plus and how to unlock bootloader on Moto G8 Plus. If you come across any error while rooting or unlocking bootloader then let us know in the comment section. We will reply with the best solution.