Samsung’s latest clamshell Galaxy Z Flip 4 comes with various improvements as compared to the previous generation clamshell. There are also new features that take multitasking to another level such as split view. If you own a Galaxy Z Flip 4, then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to root Galaxy Z Flip 4 and how to unlock bootloader of Galaxy Z Flip 4.
The new Galaxy Z Flip 4 has a better and improved design and also the crease is less visible. It features a 6.7-inch FHD+ AMOLED display with 120Hz refresh rate. And the cover display includes a 1.9-inch screen. Galaxy Z Flip 4 comes with Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 processor. And it is coupled with 8GB RAM and 128GB/256GB/512GB storage.
The camera setup is also improved on the latest Galaxy Z Flip 4. The new foldable is packed with flagship specs and as expected it performs great. But there are some limitations that can be removed by rooting the device. Along with the root guide, here you will also know how to unlock bootloader of Galaxy Z Flip 4.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4
As per the recent poll from XDA, more than forty percent of users voted for the need for root. And it shows rooting in the present day still plays an important role. Also the Galaxy Z Flip 4 kernel source is now live so custom projects will be coming soon. But you can already root your phone. As it requires unlocked bootloader first let’s see the bootloader guide.
Unlock bootloader of Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 comes with locked bootloader like other Android devices. It restricts any advanced modifications like rooting. So it is mandatory to unlock bootloader in order to root the device. Luckily Samsung allows unlocking bootloader of Galaxy Z Flip 4 in many regions. This means if you are allowed to unlock bootloader you can root your phone. Here are the steps to unlock bootloader of Galaxy Z Flip 4.
- Start with taking a backup of your Galaxy Z Flip 4. It’s because unlocking bootloader will delete all data from your device.
- Once you have the backup, open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone > Software Information. Look for Build Number and Tap build number 7 times and it will show ‘You are now a developer’.
- Go back to the main Settings and then go to Additional Settings > Developer Options. Now enable OEM unlocking in Developer Options. Also, enable USB Debugging just in case.
- Now turn off your phone and connect your phone to your PC using a USB. Press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down until you see the Download mode.
- Now long press the Volume Up button and Galaxy Z Flip 4 will boot into the bootloader mode.
- Now using the Volume buttons navigate to unlock bootloader and press the Power button to select it. It will start unlocking and erase all data.
- Restart your phone and set it up. Don’t log in with your Google account yet.
Once you have unlocked the bootloader of your phone, you can proceed with the rooting steps. Here are some requirements that you will need in the rooting steps.
- Take a full backup of your phone before rooting to ensure no data loss
- Download Magisk APK
- Download Odin Flash Tool
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked on your phone
- Download the Galaxy Z Flip 4 firmware (use Samsung Downloader or Frija) – the same version as your Phone
Steps to Root Galaxy Z Flip 4 with Magisk
- Extract the downloaded Galaxy Z Flip4 on your computer and check for the AP file (file starting with AP). Copy the boot tar file to your phone.
- Now Install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open the app on your phone and click on Install.
- On the next page choose ‘Select and Patch a File’. Then browse and select the boot tar file and wait for the patching process.
- After some time the output will be saved in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.tar.
- Copy the patched tar file to your PC and boot your phone into download mode using the steps mentioned above. And connect your phone to your PC.
- Now open the Odin Flash Tool on your PC. On the right side of the tool, load the magisk patched file in the AP tab. Also load BL, CP, and CSC files from extracted firmware to respective tabs.
- Click on the Start button (considering your phone is connected to PC). It will start flashing the patched Magisk file to your phone.
- You will receive a Pass message on completion and your device will reboot. Do a factory reset, if the device is stuck in bootloop.
- After reboot, you will have root access on your Galaxy Z Flip 4.
You can confirm the root access through any third party root checker app. And once you have root privilege on the Galaxy Z Flip 4, you can use apps and feature that ask for root access. It includes various Xposed Modules. But for modules, you need to install Xposed Framework on Android 12.
So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 Series along with a guide to unlock bootloader of Galaxy Z Flip 4. And if you have any queries let us know in the comment section below.