Do you want to root Google Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL? If yes then you have to first unlock bootloader on Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL. Google Pixel 3 phones have just launched last month but TWRP recovery is available for both device.
And guess what if you have the TWRP recovery then it’s obvious that we can root the device easily. Actually, we can root Google Pixel 3 and pixel 3 XL without TWRP recovery but I found that more difficult then TWRP method. Well, all the work of the rooting process is done through Magisk. But before even thinking to Root Pixel 3 we have to unlock bootloader first.
Also, you should know that rooting google Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL does not void guarantee. So without any doubts, you can root your Pixel 3 phones. We have posted earlier how to root android phones using Magisk but rooting Pixel 3 with Magisk a bit different so that a new article for it. Let’s begin the process of rooting Pixel 3/Pixel 3 XL.
How to Unlock Bootloader and Root Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL
First thing first which is the requirement. So you need some files to download before beginning the unlocking bootloader and rooting process. You will find the links below.
- Universal ADB Driver
- ADB & Fastboot Driver
- TWRP image file for Pixel 3
- TWRP image file for Pixel 3 XL
- Magisk v17.3 (download latest if available)
- Fastboot zip file (Pixel 3/3XL)
After downloading all these files you are ready to Unlock Bootloader and Root Pixel 3.
Note: Make sure to take a full backup of your phone, because unlocking bootloader will wipe everything on the phone including system and internal storage.
Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL
So to unlock bootloader the procedure is the same for both devices Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL.
- Install Universal ADB driver and ADB & Fastboot driver on your Windows PC. Install only in case of Windows there is no need to install it on Mac, Linux, and Chromebook.
- In Pixel 3 go to settings > System > About phone. Tap multiple times on build number until it says now you are a developer.
- Then go back to System > open Advanced settings > developer option and make sure that OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging are turned on.
- Turn off the phone. Press and hold Volume down+Power button and this will boot into fastboot mode. If the bootloader is locked you will see locked in green color under Device state.
- Extract Fastboot zip file using Winzip or any extractor. Then open the extracted fastboot folder.
- Press shift key and right-click in an empty area inside the folder. Now click on “open PowerShell window here” or “open cmd window here”. For Mac and Linux open command windows and make sure you are in the fastboot file location.
- Type the following command to unlock bootloader on Google Pixel 3 and Google Pixel 3 XL:
fastboot flashing unlock
8. Now it will give a message saying OKAY and finished in the command window. Then in phone use volume keys to swipe between option. Go to unlock the bootloader option using volume keys and then press the power button.
This will again boot back to fastboot mode but this time you will see the device state as unlocked. So it means you have successfully unlocked the bootloader on your Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL. Press the power button and if any warning comes up then again press the power button to boot the device into the system. Set up the device or you can skip it.
How to Root Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL
After unlocking bootloader we can easily root Pixel 3 phones using Magisk. This depends on you that which method you follow to root using Magisk. By the way here I have only mentioned one method which is using the TWRP recovery. There is also another method in which there is no need for TWRP recovery to root Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL. That can be done using Magisk patch file.
- Re-enable USB debugging from developer option.
- Connect your phone with PC and transfer Magisk zip file into internal storage.
- Then boot the phone into Fastboot mode using Vol down+power button.
- Connect the phone with PC if not connected already.
- Again go to fastboot folder in PC and press shift and right-click and open PowerShell or CMD window. Just make sure you are in fastboot file location.
- Then type the following command:
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-0-blueline.img (for Pixel 3)
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-0-crosshatch.img (for Pixel 3 XL)
Note: twrp-3.2.3-0-blueline is the name of the image so if you have the image file with a different name then enter that name. Also, don’t write the part that is in the bracket.
- After the command, the phone will boot into TWRP recovery. It will take time so wait. And also do not disconnect the phone with pc.
- When TWRP recovery home appears, go to install and locate to magisk and select Magisk zip file. Swipe to flash the Magisk.
- This will install the Magisk on Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL. After completion tap on reboot system > Do not install.
- Now you have successfully rooted Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL. After booting to the system you can see magisk installed on your phone.
- If magisk manager is not present then you can download and install magisk manager apk.
- That’s all you have to do to root Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL.
Now you can use the advantages of root on your phone. Also, you can install TWRP recovery on your phone just like Magisk. Just download and copy the TWRP zip file on phone and install using TWRP image.