It’s been a few months after the successful launch of Redmi Note 5 and Note 5 Pro in February. If you own this device and looking for the method to Unlock Bootloader on Redmi Note 5 Pro, then this post will help you to do so.
Unlocking Bootloader is the first step to complete before Rooting the device or installing a custom ROM or Installing a Recovery. Or we can say you want to take full control over your Redmi Note 5 including development, ROM testing, debugging etc. The methods you will read to unlock bootloader will work with both Redmi Note 5 and Redmi Note 5 Pro. Redmi Note 5 and Note 5 Pro are the best smartphones under a budget price.
These two phones are nearly the same with specification except for a couple of things. Such as Camera, memory, and chipset. In-camera section Redmi Note 5 having a single 12MP Rear camera and 5MP front camera whereas in Redmi Note 5 Pro having dual 12+5 MP rear camera and 20 MP front camera. And about the chipset, Redmi Note 5 comes with Snapdragon 625, whereas the Redmi Note 5 Pro comes with Snapdragon 636 SoC. Talking about memory Redmi Note 5 has 3 and 4GB RAM variant with 32 & 64GB storage respectively, whereas Redmi Note 5 Pro comes as 4Gb & 6GB RAM variant with 64GB Internal storage.
Note: Don’t start the process until you read out the whole information.
Unlock Bootloader on Redmi Note 5 Pro
Unlocking Bootloader is the first and the toughest process to complete before even thinking of Installing Recovery or Custom ROM. There is a different way to unlock the bootloader on Xiaomi phones compared to other company phones. To unlock bootloader the user need to take permission from Xiaomi. Don’t know who and how they approve this but you gotta do what they need. So just follow the simple two methods to Unlock Bootloader on Redmi Note 5 & Note 5 Pro.
Why you need to Unlock Bootloader
If you don’t know what you can do with your phone after unlocking bootloader then check out what you can do.
- You can Install Recovery.
- You can root your phone.
- After Unlocking bootloader you can Install Magisk and its modules.
- Unlocking bootloader will let you Install custom ROMs.
- You can test, debug and develop ROMs.
- You can take full control of your phone.
If you have already used Xiaomi phones then you probably know that developer releases at least one ROM every day for Xiaomi phones. These phones are very popular on receiving numbers of Custom ROM including Redmi Note 4. This is one of the reasons that I have Unlocked Bootloader on my Redmi Note 5 Pro. So let’s start the process of How to unlock Bootloader.
Things to Remember:
- Take a full backup of your phone because this method will erase all the data.
- You are doing it at your own risk.
- Follow the steps very carefully otherwise you will brick your phone.
- You will lose the warranty of the phone after unlocking the bootloader.
Enable Developer option & USB Debugging on Redmi Note 5
- Go to settings in your Redmi Note 5 or Pro.
- And then go to About phones and tap on MIUI version multiple times (~7-8 times).
- The previous step will unlock the developer option.
- Now in settings go to Additional settings and at the bottom, you will find developer option.
- Open developer option and Enable debugging check How to Enable debugging on Android.
The bootloader unlocking process usually takes around 10-15 days for Indian users so if you want to Unlock Bootloader within few days then Read the second method that mentioned below. But I can not guarantee that it will work, but give it a try. If that not works you can always follow the long duration method.
Unlock Bootloader using the email-based account (Long Process)
This is the method in which it can take about 10-15 days to get authorization from Xiaomi to get Bootloader unlocked. So if you can wait then follow the steps given below.
- At first, you need to send the request to Xiaomi, so go to http://en.miui.com/unlock.
- And now click on Unlock Now.
- Login Page will open there you need to click on the text below sign in to sign in through email. You should use the same ID that you have used in MI account on your phone for easy process.
- Fill in the details and login. Next page will open containing a form.
- Now Fill the form including Your name, Number, and the reason why you want to Unlock Bootloader. Remember don’t copy anyone’s reason otherwise they will reject your form. Just write a few words genuinely.
After a few minutes or few hour or few days, you will receive a message from Xiaomi that your application was accepted and you are ready to unlock Bootloader.
- After receiving the message again go to the same link http://en.miui.com/unlock.
- Log in with the same ID.
- And this time a page will open containing Download Link.
- Click on Download MI Unlock and download the file.
Enable OEM unlock on Redmi Note 5 Pro
Once you have successfully received the message that you are ready to unlock. Then you need to check that the OEM unlock is enabled or not. If not you need to enable it, and if yes leave it enabled. To check the OEM status follow the instructions given below:
- Go to settings > Additional Settings > Developer option.
- Scroll down until you find OEM option.
- Now enable the OEM Unlocking on Redmi Note 5 Pro.
Now continuing the bootloader unlocking process extract the MI unlock file that you have downloaded at the last step. After extracting you will see a file named MiusbDriver. Install the driver as an administrator.
- Go to the Mi account in settings and log in with the same email that you have used to send a request to Xiaomi to unlock bootloader for Redmi Note 5 pro. If you are already logged in with the same ID then skip this step.
- Now Shut down your phone and press and hold Volume down+power button to boot into Fastboot mode. And connect your Redmi Note 5 with PC using the USB cable.
- Then open the Miflash_unlock file from the extracted folder.
- A login page will open fill the same ID that you have used earlier to get unlock permission and that you have logged in in your Phone.
- After signing in Tool will show that the phone is connected. Below there click on Unlock and then unlock anyway.
- It will start unlocking the bootloader on your Phone. If it gives a successful message. It means you have successfully unlocked the Bootloader on your Redmi Note 5 Pro.
- If it fails try again few times. And still, if it fails then you need to wait for 10-15 days. After that when you again try to unlock. It will do the job.
So this is the one method to Unlock Bootloader on Note 5 pro and follow the next method if you want to get it done on a short period of time.
Unlock Bootloader using Number based account (Shorter Duration)
For this process also you need to have enabled developer option and USB debugging that we have specified above. Now for this method, you need to use your phone number to sign in on Mi account. Let’s see in steps how to do it?
- Visit http://en.miui.com/unlock and then click on Unlock Now.
- Now sign in with Number based account. If you do not have a number based account then create one.
- And make sure to log in with the same number based email ID on your Phone’s Mi account under settings.
- After logging in fill the details including Name, Number, and reason. The reason should be genuine and don’t copy from anyone.
- Now submit your application.
It will take a few hours or a few days, but you will receive a message faster than the previous method. Once you got the message “you’ve grated the permission to unlock your device”. Then enable the OEM unlocking on your redmi note 5 pro. I am assuming that you have already signed in with number based account on your phone. And also you have enabled the OEM unlocking.
- Now download a VPN which allows connecting to China server (You can use flex vpn).
- Then connect to the china server.
- Now again go to settings > additional settings > developer option.
- There you need to go to Mi unlock status which you can find below OEM unlocking.
- And there tap on Add account and device.
- Now go to http://en.miui.com/unlock and download the Mi unlock (explained briefly on the previous method).
- Then Extract the file and Install MiusbDriver. And then press and hold power button+volume down to boot in Fastboot mode. Once done then connect your phone with PC using USB.
- Then open Miflash_unlock file from the extracted folder. Then it will show that your device is connected.
- Click on Unlock and then click on Unlock anyway. It will now start unlocking bootloader.
- And finally, it will give you the successful message, unlike the previous method.
That’s it, this way you can unlock bootloader on Redmi Note 5 pro on the same day when you receive permission granted message.
So this was a guide on how to unlock bootloader on Redmi Note 5 Pro using two methods. You can follow any of the methods to unlock Bootloader without any problem. If you face any issue during the process you can send us a message on facebook, we will reply as soon as possible. But If you follow the steps carefully you will not face any issues. If you want us to write on any specific topic you can comment down below.