Samsung is focusing more on Mid range phones especially this year and has revealed many smartphones. We have seen many Phones in the Galaxy M and Galaxy A series. And recently Samsung has added Galaxy M31 and Galaxy M21 to the list. Both devices are identical but the Galaxy M31 is superior in some specs. It is a successor of last year’s Galaxy M30. When it comes to performance then Galaxy M31 is capable of leaving other phones behind which are available in its price range. Here in this guide, you will know How to Root Samsung M31 and how to unlock bootloader on Galaxy M31.
We can’t expect much from Galaxy M31 as its a mid range budget phone. But it works better than expectations because of its Quad camera setup and a good processor. The phone runs on the latest OneUI 2.0 based on Android 10. Samsung Galaxy M31 comes with an average performing processor which is Exynos 9611 integrated with Mali-G72 MP3. The phone features a big 6.4-inch super AMOLED fhd+ with Infinity-U design.
Now here are two main feature of the device which attracts users. First is its quad rear camera setup which comes with a 64-MP main sensor, 8-MP Ultra wide sensor, 5-MP Macro sensor, and a 5-MP depth sensor. And what makes it Mega Monster is its battery which is 6000mAh. Rooting the phone will give access to custom boot animation, custom fonts, third party themes and more. It also allows us to install various Xposed Modules to customize phones. To root first we have to unlock bootloader on Galaxy M31. Lets now get directly jump into the guide without any waiting.
How to Root Samsung M31
Samsung devices are no joke when it comes to rooting, it is the toughest brand to root its phone. It is after the release of OneUI which replaces the Samsung old UI called Experience UI. But it is not impossible to root Samsung devices. We can root Galaxy M31 using a few methods. As of now, the TWRP Recovery is not available for Galaxy M31 and so we are going to use patched boot image to root Galaxy M31. As you know that to root any phone we have to unlock bootloader so first let’s check the guide to unlock the bootloader.
Samsung Galaxy M31 Unlock Bootloader
Most of the brand doesn’t let us unlock bootloader some of these are Nokia, Vivo, Oppo. But luckily Samsung allows us to unlock bootloader of our Samsung phones. The method is long but if you follow it carefully then it will be easy.
- First, take a full backup of your phone as unlocking bootloader will delete all data from your phone. Also unlocking bootloader will trip Knox on the device.
- Open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone > Software Information.
- Look for Build Number and tap 7-8 times to enable developer options.
- Now open the developer options from Settings > Additional Settings.
- In the Developer Option enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging.
- After that turn off your phone. Then long press Volume Up + Volume Down and connect your phone to your PC.
- Release both buttons when the device shows a Warning screen. Now press Volume Up button once and Galaxy M31 will boot into Download mode.
- When the phone is in download mode, long press Volume Up button and now the unlock bootloader on Galaxy M31 will start and it will delete all data.
- The device will reboot into the system. Now make sure that OEM unlocking is greyed out in Developer options.
If it is greyed out then it means bootloader is unlocked. If not then you have to wait for a few days and try again the same method. And once the bootloader is unlocked your phone is all set for root. Below you will find the Galaxy M31 root guide but before that go theory some necessary points.
- Take a full backup of data before rooting
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Download Odin Flash Tool
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked of your phone
- Download the firmware (the same version on which your phone is running)
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
Must Check | Download Google Camera 6.1 for Samsung Galaxy M31
Root Samsung Galaxy M31 using Magisk
- At first extract the downloaded Firmware on your computer and check for AP file which will be in tar format.
- Copy the AP tar file to your phone storage. Also, extract the Odin tool zip file on your PC.
- Now install the Magisk Manager on your phone, if already done then skip it.
- Open the Magisk Manager app and click on Install > Install.
- A pop up will appear with a few options, so choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Then locate and select the AP tar file and wait for the patching process. It can take few seconds.
- And once the patching is complete, the output file will be saved in the Download folder with name magisk_patched.tar.
- Copy the magisk_patched.tar file on your PC and remember the location as we will need it in upcoming steps.
- Now run the Odin Flash tool on your PC.
- Switch to Options tab in the Odin tool and untick Auto-Reboot.
- On the right side of the tool click on the AP and locate the magisk_patched file. Click on the BL and load the BL file from extracted firmware and similarly load the CP and CSC file in its respective section.
- Then Boot your Galaxy M31 in the Download Mode. To boot into download mode go through steps 6 & 7 in the unlock bootloader section.
- If your phone is not connected to the computer then connect, when it is in download mode. The Odin tool will detect your phone and you can see the blue color near ID: COM.
- When previous steps are completed click on the Start button. Now it will start flashing the Firmware including Magisk patched file.
- After completion, it will show the Pass message. Now disconnect your phone and follow the below steps carefully.
- Now you need to carefully boot into the rooted system using the below button combination.
- Press & hold the Volume Up + Power button and release all the buttons when you see the warning screen.
- That’s all, now you have successfully rooted your Samsung M31 with Magisk.
It doesn’t end here, you have to make sure of a few other things. Like booting in a particular system should be done carefully. If you are not familiar with the shortcuts to boot Samsung phones into a specific system, then below we have added the shortcut button combos. Check out and make sure to use the same process when you want to boot into the system.
- System without Root: Normal power-up
- System with Root: Press & hold the Volume Up + Power button and release all the buttons when you see the warning screen.
- Recovery Mode: Press & hold Volume Up + Power button together and when you see Warning screen release only the Power button and keep pressing Volume Up button until you see Recovery.
In case if you have bricked your phone while performing root, then you can follow this guide to fix the bricked Samsung phone. As you know rooting gives a lot of additional features such as it let you uninstall system apps, Adblocker for the whole system and much more.
You May Also Like | 10 Best Samsung Themes for your Galaxy Smartphone
So there you have it the complete guide on How to Root Samsung Galaxy M31 with Magisk and how to unlock bootloader on Samsung M31. If you have any questions on your mind then share it in the comment section.