Motorola had some quiet years since Lenovo became its parent company. This year they tried to make come back with flagship phones but didn’t get the expected response. But their Moto G series is still one of the best and popular series. And in September the company introduced Moto G9 Plus with some good specifications. And here we are here with a new guide for Moto G9 Plus users. Here you get to know how to root Moto G9 Plus and Unlock Bootloader.
The latest Moto G9 Plus packs with some great specifications such as a 6.81-inch FHD+ display. It is a budget phone with a mid-range Snapdragon 730G processor which is integrated with Adreno 618 GPU. And its main feature is the camera setup that has four cameras at the back. And with all this Motorola G9 Plus runs on Android 10 OS out of the box. It performs really well for general tasks but you can increase its performance further by rooting your Moto G9 Plus.
The Moto G9 Plus has the advantage of running stock Android and rooting the phone is one of it. Motorola is one of the brands that allow its users to unlock bootloader. It means we can easily Unlock Bootloader of the Motorola G9 Plus. And this is the only requirement to root any phone. So along with a guide to root Moto G9 Plus, we are also going to share the unlock bootloader guide.
How to Root Moto G9 Plus
We have been covering the root guide for years and Motorola is among some OEMs that allow users to easily unlock bootloader. It means if you own a Motorola phone then you can easily root within a few days after release. There are many advantages of rooting an Android phone. Some of the basic advantages like support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. Before we head to the root method, first we will share how to unlock bootloader of Moto G9 Plus.
Moto G9 Plus Unlock Bootloader Guide
If you like to root your Android phones then you probably know that without unlocking bootloader it is not possible. And by default, all the Moto phones come with locked bootloader, which means first we have to unlock the bootloader for rooting. Each OEM has a different procedure for Unlocking bootloader. Motorola has a simple but long process for Unlocking bootloader of Moto phones. So let’s check how to unlock bootloader of Moto G9 Plus.
- Take a full backup of your phone as unlocking bootloader on Moto G9 Plus will delete all the data.
- Also, install ADB & Fastboot drivers and Motorola USB Driver on your PC.
- Now open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone. Tap about 7-8 times on Build Number, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- After enabling the developer option, go back to Settings and then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Turn off your device. Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Moto G9 Plus into Fastboot Mode.
- And when the Fastboot screen appears on the phone, release both buttons. Connect your phone to your PC after booting into Fastboot.
- Now open the Command window or CMD on your computer. Open Command window from Platform Tools location in case of macOS and Linux.
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window
- fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- It will display 5 line code. Copy the code and make it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in case of Mac.
- Go to Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Then you will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in below command and press Enter
- fastboot oem unlock ‘code’
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader on Moto G9 Plus. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
And this is how you can unlock bootloader of a Motorola phone. After unlocking bootloader your phone is eligible for rooting. Rooting steps are easier than what you already followed for unlocking bootloader of Moto G9 Plus. But before we head over to the rooting steps first make sure to go through the prerequisites section.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Moto G9 Plus
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Canary Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Moto G9 Plus Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Moto G9 Plus
In 2020 rooting an Android phone is not easy but thanks to John the developer of Magisk that makes the rooting possible. You can root Moto G9 Plus in a few different methods but in all methods, Magisk is a must. In this guide, we are going to use a patch file to root Moto G9 Plus.
- First, extract the Moto G9 Plus firmware on your computer.
- Look for the boot.img file in the extracted folder and copy it to your phone storage.
- Install the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- Now open the Magisk Manager app and click on the first Install and again click on Install.
- It will ask for the method, so choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Now browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Moto G9 Plus to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer. Follow the steps given in the unlock bootloader guide above.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window to check the device is connected or not, entering command should return some number id.
- fastboot devices
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Moto G9 Plus.
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After that, reboot your device to the system.
- If the Magisk Manager is not installed on your phone, then install the app. Skip if the app is already present.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
After reboot, you will be able to use your Moto G9 Plus with root access. It means you can now use all the apps that require root access like Greenify. Rooting also gives the option to remove pre-installed apps and remove ads from the system.
You May Also Like | Download Google Camera 6.1 for Motorola Devices [Latest APK]
If you like to customize your phone then you will be happy to know that you can now install the Xposed Framework on your device. It will allow you to install the best Xposed Modules for customization options.
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Moto G9 Plus and how to unlock bootloader of Moto G9 Plus. In case if you have any issues, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola: