Motorola is going all strong in the budget smartphone market with their best ever Moto G series. Also, this year Motorola launched some good phones in the Moto G series like Moto G40, Moto G50, Moto G60, and more. Recently we shared a guide to root Moto G40. And here we will share how to root Moto G60 and how to unlock bootloader of Moto G60. So, if you own a Moto G60, you can check out this guide.
Motorola Moto G60 is one of the best value money phones that let you experience 5G without emptying your pocket. The phone features a big 6.8-inch FHD display with 120Hz support. It is powered by the Snapdragon 732G processor CPU and Adreno 618 GPU. It has a triple rear camera setup with the 108MP main sensor and at the front, it has a 32MP front camera. The phone packs a big 6000mAh battery with 20W fast charging.
Moto G60 runs on Android 11 and it is nearly stock which means less customization. And so, if you are looking for advanced customization or even advanced features then you can root Moto G60. In this guide, we will also share how to unlock bootloader of Moto G60.
How to Root Moto G60
Rooting an Android phone is now a much more complex task because of the tough Android security. Also, now Android phones come with different types of boot systems, which also makes it difficult to recognize the live partition and write in that boot partition. But thanks to developers like John Wu who make the rooting easier. Now when it comes to Motorola G60 we can root Moto G60. If you want to root Moto G60 then you must already be aware of its advantages. But first, we have to unlock the bootloader of Moto G60 which is mandatory for root.
Unlock Bootloader of Moto G60
Since the past few Android versions, users need to first unlock the bootloader of their phones for rooting. It is one of the major requirements for rooting. All Android phones come with locked bootloader by default which means rooting is not possible by default. Luckily Motorola allows users to unlock bootloader of their phones. The process of unlocking the bootloader of Moto G60 is easy, you just need to follow the instructions correctly. So let’s check how to unlock bootloader of Motorola Moto G60.
- You will lose all the data on unlocking the bootloader of Moto G60, so first make sure to take a full backup. Heads up that this process will also void the warranty.
- On your PC, Install ADB & Fastboot drivers and Motorola USB Drivers.
- Now on your Moto G60, go to Settings > About Phone section and tap 7-8 times on Build Number. It will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- After enabling the developer options, go back to Settings and then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and enable USB Debugging.
- Turn off your Moto G60. Then Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Motorola Moto G60 into Fastboot Mode.
- Once the Fastboot screen appears on the phone, release both buttons. And then connect it to your PC with a USB cable.
- Now open the Command window or CMD on your computer and enter the below command
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- You will see a 5-line code. Copy the code and adjust it in one line (use notepad for convenience). Remember not to copy (bootloader) in the case of windows and Info in the case of Mac.
- Now on your browser open Motorola unlock page and click next and log in with your Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked‘ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Then you will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in the below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader of Moto G60. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
After unlocking the bootloader of your Moto G60, you can verify it from developer settings. The OEM unlocking should be enabled. Now that you have successfully unlocked the bootloader, you are now just a few steps away from rooting the phone. But let’s first check out the required tools and files.
Also Check | Google Camera for Moto G60
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Moto G60
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Canary Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Moto G60 Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Motorola Moto G60 with Magisk
As you know there are many custom recoveries and custom ROMs available for many phones, one should question what is the need to root a phone. Well, Motorola phones are not popular and so miss out on advanced features. And so to get advanced features, you can root your Motorola phones. For this method, we are going to use Magisk to Root Moto G60.
- Copy the downloaded Moto G60 firmware to your PC and extract the boot.img file from the firmware. And copy boot.img to your phone.
- Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk app and click on the Install.
- Next choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the present options.
- Now browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- You can find the output file in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img. In case if you are using platform tools folder instead of adb fastboot drivers then copy the boot.img to the platform tools folder.
- Reboot your Moto G60 to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- To check if the device is connected or not, enter the below command and it will return some device id if connected.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Motorola Moto G60.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image. reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk Manager if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
After rooting your Moto G60, you can verify the root access using any root checker. You need to give root permission to the root checker. Now you can use all the advanced features and you can perform any task you want. Yes, you need to be aware of the process to take advantage of any customization or features that require root access.
So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Moto G60 and how to unlock bootloader of Moto G60. If you have any queries regarding the root guide, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola: