Motorola is one of the well-known smartphone brands, especially for budget phones. And continuing their Moto G streak, recently the OEM unveils Moto G40 Fusion. It is among those phones with a great design as well as terrific performance. And if you own Moto G40 then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to root Moto G40 Fusion and how to unlock bootloader of Moto G40 Fusion.
The Moto G series is popular in all the markets as phones in the series come at a reasonable price and also give a near-stock experience. The Moto G40 Fusion released recently, April 2021 to be specific. Currently, the vanilla variant is not available for Moto G40. But if it releases later, you can follow this guide for the normal Moto G40 root.
Moto G40 Fusion comes with a 6.8-inch FHD+ display. The display supports a 120Hz refresh rate which is great for a budget phone. It comes with the Snapdragon 732G processor and Adreno 618 GPU. The phone packs three cameras (64+8+2) at the back and one 16MP selfie camera. You can also root Moto G40 Fusion for better performance. In this guide, we will also share how to unlock bootloader of the Motorola Moto G40 Fusion.
How to Root Moto G40 Fusion
Motorola phones are great. The only setback is the late update delivery. But it doesn’t matter much if you have root access on your device. Also, if custom ROMs are available, then you don’t even need to rely on updates. Rooting is upgrading the privilege to control smartphones. With root privilege, you will have access to each file, folder, and command. But to root Moto G40 Fusion, you need to first unlock the bootloader of Moto G40 Fusion. So, let’s start with the bootloader guide.
Moto G40 Fusion Unlock Bootloader
Motorola phones also come with locked bootloader just like other Android phones. Bootloader is an important part of Android security. The bootloader was not available in the early days of Android, but we came a long way now. If the bootloader is locked, it restricts users from rooting or modifying the device. Luckily Motorola allows its users to root their phones. And if you want to root your phone, first check out the steps to unlock bootloader of Moto G40.
- Unlocking the bootloader of Moto G40 Fusion will format your phone. So first make sure to take a full backup. Remember this process will also void the warranty.
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers and Motorola USB Driver on your Windows PC.
- Now go to Settings > About Phone section on your phone. Tap 7-8 times on Build Number, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- After enabling the developer options, go back to Settings. Then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and enable USB Debugging.
- Turn off your phone. Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Motorola Moto G40 Fusion into Fastboot Mode.
- When the Fastboot screen appears on the phone, release both buttons. And then connect your phone to your PC when the phone is in Fastboot mode.
- Now open the Command window or CMD on your computer and enter the below command
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- It will display a 5-line code. Copy the code and adjust it in one line (use notepad for convenience). Remember not to copy (bootloader) in the case of windows and Info in the case of Mac.
- Now go to Motorola unlock page and click next and log in with your Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Then you will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in the below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader of Moto G40 Fusion. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
After unlocking the bootloader of Motorola G40 Fusion, you are all set for the root method. You can now also install custom ROMs and custom Recoveries on your phone. Before we move to rooting steps, make sure to check the prerequisites section.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Moto G40 Fusion
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Canary Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Moto G40 Fusion Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Motorola Moto G40 Fusion
Although rooting an Android phone these days is not easy, it is still possible with Magisk tool. Magisk is a popular tool for seamless rooting. In fact, this is the only effective tool for Android phones. All thanks to developer John Wu who constantly working on the Magisk project for better Android modifications and privilege management. You can follow the steps below to root Motorola G40 Fusion.
- Extract the Moto G40 Fusion firmware and copy the boot.img file to your phone store.
- Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk app and click on the Install.
- In the next step choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Moto G40 Fusion to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Motorola Moto G40 Fusion.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image. reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk Manager if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
You can check for the root status using any root checker app from Play Store. And once you have the root privilege on your phone, you can customize the entire phone as you want. It allows to remove pre-installed apps, ads from the system. You can also customize phones with Xposed Modules. Also check how to install Xposed Framework.
Also Check | Download Google Camera 8.1 for Moto G40 Fusion
So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Moto G40 Fusion and how to unlock bootloader of Moto G40 Fusion. If you have any queries regarding the root guide, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola: