ROG Phone series is a collection of top gaming phones from Asus. And each year, Asus releases a new phone lineup under the ROG Phone Series. Earlier this year Asus released ROG Phone 5, ROG Phone 5 Pro, and ROG Phone 5 Ultimate. The series is well known for its good gaming performance. And the OEM also allows unlocking bootloader of the phone, which means you can root ROG Phone 5 series. Here you will know how to root ROG Phone 5 Pro and how to unlock bootloader of ROG Phone 5 (Pro).
ROG Phone 5 series has some amazing specifications. All the phones in the series have almost the same specifications but vary in some features. Pro and Non-Pro variants have a 6.78-inch FHD+ display with 144Hz refresh rate support. As it is a powerful phone series, it comes with the latest Snapdragon 888 SoC in all three models. The phones in the series are coupled with 8/12/16GB RAM and 128/256/512GB storage.
You will find everything that a gamer can wish for. The ROG Phone 5 can handle all the games easily. Luckily there are some developers who like to port custom ROMs, develop gaming modules for the ROG Phone 5. So if you want to improve the performance or want to experience features that are not available by default you can do that. Here in this guide, you will know both to root ROG Phone 5 Pro and how to unlock bootloader of ROG Phone 5 Pro. Both are useful in many ways.
How to Root ROG Phone 5 Pro
If you want to customize your phone without installing any custom ROMs, then rooting the phone is the best option available unless you just want to customize the home screen. Rooting brings many features to any Android phone including the support for boot animation, third party themes, custom fonts, and more. Rooting ROG Phones are easy if you are aware of bootloader, Magisk, and boot image. Unlocking bootloader is a necessity if you want to root your phone, so let’s first start with how to unlock bootloader of ROG Phone 5.
Unlock Bootloader of ROG Phone 5 Pro
By default, Asus phones come with locked bootloader for security reasons. Google started it long ago with one of the Android versions. Although it is good to have a bootloader locked on phones, it restricts users from modifying their phone such as installing custom ROMs. So if you are ok to lose this security feature you can proceed with unlocking the bootloader. Below you can find the steps to unlock bootloader of ROG Phone 5 and 5 Pro.
- Head over to the Asus ROG Phone 5 official support page. (If you have 5 Pro or 5 Ultimate then select those models).
- In the webpage switch to Drivers and Tools section.
- Now from the drop-down option, select Android.
- It will list all the important utility files including the Unlock APK.
- Download the ‘Unlock Device App’ for Rog Phone 5/Pro/Ultimate.
- After downloading the APK, copy it to your phone and install it.
- Now on your Phone, go to Settings > About Phone and tap Build Number 7 times to turn on developer options.
- Go back to Settings > Developer Options and enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Open the ROG Phone 5 unlock app and accept its rules.
- Then you will have the button to unlock bootloader in the App itself. Remember that it will erase all data from your phone, so consider taking a full backup.
- After unlocking the bootloader of Rog Phone 5, reboot your phone and set up your device.
After unlocking the bootloader, you can verify with the command
fastboot oem device-info (you need to boot your phone in bootloader/fastboot mode to enter this command). The status will show unlocked. And once you verify that you can root your ROG Phone 5, 5 Pro, and 5 Ultimate with the method given below. But first, check out the requirement section.
- Take a full backup of phone’s data (To restore just in case)
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download & Install Magisk app on your Phone
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your PC
- Download Asus ROG Phone 5/Pro/Ultimate firmware (Same version as your build number. Use this link)
Steps to Root ROG Phone 5 (Pro) with Magisk
- First, you need to extract the boot image file (boot.img) from the Asus ROG Phone 5 firmware using payload dumper.
- Copy the extracted boot.img to your phone.
- Now open the Magisk app on your phone.
- In the app, click on Install next to Magisk. Make sure Ramdisk shows status ‘Yes’.
- Next choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ and select the boot.img file from the phone storage.
- Now it will start patching the file and you will get the output in the Download folder as magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot file to your computer (in C:\adb location). And rename the file to boot.img.
- Open the Command window from the same location. In case if you have macOS or Linux then download Platform tools and copy boot.img here and open the command window here.
- Boot your phone into Download/Bootloader Mode and connect the phone to PC using a USB cable. To boot into bootloader you can either use shortcut buttons or command:
adb reboot bootloader
- Enter the below command to flash patched boot image and root ROG Phone 5.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After installing the Magisk on your phone, reboot it to the system.
- Now you have an Asus ROG Phone 5 with Root privilege.
Open the Magisk app again and if it asks for additional steps, complete those steps. Now you can check for root access using any root checker app from PlayStore. After verifying, you can enjoy all the apps and features that require root privilege. Also, you can get various Xposed Modules for customization and improving the game experience. But you need to first install Xposed Framework to use modules.
You May Also Like | Google Camera for ROG Phone 5
So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root ROG Phone 5 Pro and how to unlock bootloader of Asus ROG Phone 5 Pro. And if you have any questions regarding the device and guide then let us know in the comment section.