Motorola (owned by Lenovo) has released four new smartphones this year including Moto G7, G7 Plus, G7 Play, and G7 Power. These are the latest smartphones in the G series and also the successor of G6 series. And if you own G7 and looking for a modification guide then this is the right place. Here you will know How to Unlock Bootloader and How to Root Moto G7 with Magisk & without TWRP.
Till now TWRP for Moto G7 is not available and so we are not going to use TWRP for rooting Moto G7. We will only use Magisk to make patch boot file and flash it to root the device. Here you will also know how to unlock bootloader on Moto G7. This guide will also work if you have Moto G7 Plus, Moto G7 Play, and Moto G7 Power.
How to Root Moto G7
If you are going to root the device then you should know that bootloader should be unlocked to achieve the root access. Rooting the phone gives full control to users over their phone. Users can access root files like system file and change anything. Rooting also makes it easy to make any modifications like flashing anything without a custom recovery. Apps that require Root access like Titanium backup also work after following this guide. First, we will explain how to unlock bootloader of Moto G7 and then how to root Moto G7.
- Take a full backup of your phone (this process will delete all the data on your phone)
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- PC and USB are required
- Internet Access is required
How to Unlock Bootloader on Moto G7
- Unlocking bootloader will void the warranty of your phone
- Rooting the device will block OTA updates
- Any wrong step can brick your device
Steps to Unlock Bootloader
- In Moto G7 open Settings and go to System > About Phone.
- Continuously tap on Build Number until it says “You are now a developer”.
- Go back to System and open Developer Options.
- In Developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging.
- In PC install the minimal adb & fastboot on your pc if you haven’t done already.
- Now go to Motorola Global Portal page.
- Sign in with the same Google account that is linked to your phone (Important).
- Connect your phone to PC with USB.
- Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot location on your PC.
- Press Shift and Right-click together (in an empty area) and select “Open Command window here” or “Open PowerShell window here”.
- Enter the command to connect the phone
- It will ask for permission on your phone, so click on Yes to allow.
- Enter the following command to boot the phone into bootloader mode
adb reboot bootloader
- Once the phone is booted in bootloader mode enter command
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- Copy the 4 line code and make it in one line (do not copy bootloader or any sentence just the code) also remove the gap between the codes.
- Paste the code in Motorola global portal and click on “can my device be unlocked”. And then scroll down below and select “I Agree” and click “Request unlock key”.
- You will receive the unlock code to your email that you used to login on your device and the Motorola global portal. Copy the received code.
- Go to Command window and enter the following command
fastboot oem unlock Unlock_Code
- Unlock_Code is the 20 digit code that you received through the mail
- You have to enter the same command again (from step 17).
- Now you have successfully unlocked the bootloader on your phone. You can disconnect the phone and Reboot.
Note: If you want to root Moto G7 Plus, Moto G7 Power and Moto G7 Play then you have to download the firmware or boot.img file for your device and software channel (For moto G7 follow step 2). Except for this, you have to follow same steps.
Root Motorola Moto G7 with Magisk
- Open Settings on your phone and go to System > About Phone. Check the Software channel and Model number.
- Go to the lolinet and download the firmware for your device (For eg: If your Software channel is RETGB then open the RETGB Folder and download the same version shown in build number). Or You can download boot.img file for your software channel and version to save data but it is tough to find.
- Extract the downloaded firmware and copy the boot.img file to phone storage.
- Download Magisk Manager APK from the download section and Install it on your phone.
- Open Magisk Manager, you will see a cross sign to show Magisk is not Installed. On the side of cross sign, Click on Install.
- It will ask for confirmation so again click on Install. Then select “Patch Boot Image File” and locate the boot.img file that you copied to phone storage.
- It will download the latest Magisk Zip file and then start patching the boot image file.
- After patching close the Magisk Manager. Now go to Download folder and copy the patched_boot.img file and transfer it to PC (Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder in C drive). If the name of patched image file is different then rename it to the patched_boot.img.
- Make sure that OEM unlocking and USB debugging is enabled in Developer options. And then boot the phone into fastboot mode (Press & hold Power + Volume Down button together).
- Connect your phone to PC with USB.
- Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot and press Shift & Right-click together and click on “Open Command window here” or “Open PowerShell window here”.
- Enter the following command to flash Magisk and root Moto G7
fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
- After flashing you can reboot your device.
- Congrats, you have just rooted your phone with Magisk.
So that’s all you have to do to root your Moto G7 (River). Make sure to download boot image or firmware carefully for your device, otherwise, you may end up bricking your phone. If you also want to install TWRP recovery on Moto G7 then keep visiting YTECHB because when the TWRP file will be available we will post the guide.
I hope this guide was helpful to you. And if you are facing any problem on rooting your phone then leave a comment down below and we will reply with the solution. You can also reach to us through Facebook for step by step support.