After a long wait finally G4 and G4 Plus are now receiving Android 8.1 Oreo Update. If you haven’t received the update follow this guide to download and Install Moto G4 & G4 Plus Android 8.1 Oreo Update. Both the phones were launched in 2016 and both were the best phones at their price range. Moto G4 & G4 Plus Android Nougat update was made available in 2017 and now the Android 8.1 Oreo is available for both the phones.
Moto G4 and G4 Plus were in the Motorola testing program named soak test. The soak test for both the phones was successful and now they are getting the Official stable Android 8.1 Oreo update. All the features of Android 8.1 Oreo will be available on both the device after the update.
Moto G4/G4 Plus users who are currently in Android Nougat will receive the update shortly and those who are in soak test will have to use the OTA firmware to get stable Android 8.1 Oreo update. Also, Android Nougat user can use the Official OTA firmware to update the phone instantly. The build number of the firmware featuring Android 8.1 Oreo is OPJ28.111-22.
In Android 8.1 Oreo update you will get to see all of its features like Password Autofill, Picture in Picture mode, Notification dots, Smart text selection, and the list goes on. So if you have Moto G4/G4 Plus you should update to Android 8.1 Oreo as soon as possible to enjoy all of these features. Go to Settings > About Phone > Check for Updates to check if update available. If the update is available, download from their otherwise check the below link and guide.
Download Moto G4/G4 Plus Android 8.1 Oreo Firmware
The new update is available via OTA (over-the-air) update. For the instant update, you can use the given OTA package or firmware. The firmware is available for both Android 7 Nougat users and for Android 8.1 soak test users. Method for installing the OTA is also same for both Android Nougat and soak test Android Oreo.
Download OTA Package for Android 7 Nougat (Moto G4/G4 Plus)
Download OTA Package for Android 8.1 Oreo Soak Test (Moto G4/G4 Plus)
Download the file accordingly and then you are ready to Install Stable Android Pie on Moto G4 & G4 Plus.
You May Also Like: How to Download & Install Moto Z3 Android Pie [Update]
How to Install Android 8.1 Oreo on Moto G4/G4 Plus (OTA)
You can use the Stock recovery to sideload the OTA on your phone. It is a simple process, but follow the steps carefully otherwise you can brick your phone. A backup is always recommended while modifying anything on phone.
- First, download the OTA zip file according to the running Android version (Nougat or Android Oreo soak test).
- Copy the file on your phone.
- Completely turn off the phone.
- Press and hold Power + Volume down at the same time to boot in bootloader mode.
- Use volume up & down key to navigate and when you see Recovery mode click on the power button.
- If it shows no command screen press and hold Power button and immediately press Volume Up button (don’t let go power button while pressing volume up).
- Previous step will take you to the Recovery mode, now use the Volume up & down to navigate. Select “Apply update from sd card”.
- Locate the OTA zip file and press power button to install the update.
- Reboot the Device and enjoy Android 8.1 Oreo on Moto G4 & G4 Plus.
So there you have it the guide to download and Install Android 8.1 Oreo on Moto G4/G4 Plus. If you have any queries drop your questions in the comment section. We will reply as soon as possible.
Related to Moto: