The only true competitor for iPads is the Galaxy Tab. There are many Samsung Galaxy Tabs in the Tab S series but the latest one is Galaxy Tab S6. The device was launched in 2019 and so it features the latest specs like Snapdragon 855, Android 9 and more. Samsung Tab S6 performance is amazing without any extra tweaks. But if you want to increase performance and add more features then you can root your Galaxy Tab S6. Here you get to know how to root Samsung Tab S6 along with the guide to install TWRP on Samsung Tab S6.
Tab S6 is capable of doing wonders but by default, you will get limited features and performance. So to unleash the full potential of your phone you must root or make system-level changes on your phone. There are also a few drawbacks of rooting your device like it will trip KNOX, Widevine L1 will convert to Widevine L3, and you may lose phone warranty. But in case if you don’t mind giving a few things while receiving many other useful features, then proceed with rooting.
Rooting allows users to remove bloatware, allows adblocker, create full system backup, apply custom fonts, third party themes and more. After root, you can customize your Tab S6 freely without any restrictions. And luckily the TWRP Recovery for Samsung Tab S6 is also available which will help you to flash custom ROMs on your tablet.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
There is more than one effective way to root an Android-based Samsung device. And here in this guide, we will share two most helpful methods which work every time. The method is tested and many users successfully rooted their Samsung Tab S6. Magisk plays an important role in rooting Android phones. And in both methods, Magisk will be used which provides systemless root. First, we will share rooting Galaxy Tab S6 with TWRP Recovery which needs installation of TWRP. So let’s see how to download and install the TWRP Recovery.
Download TWRP Recovery for Samsung Tab S6
The official TWRP Recovery for Tab S6 (LTE & WiFi) is available on the TWRP official site. All thanks to developers for the awesome work. One of the developers who contributed to Tab S6 TWRP recovery is Mentalmuso. It is a stable TWRP recovery and there are no known bugs in it. You can download the TWRP recovery (tar file) for your device from the below links.
- TWRP Recovery for Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 (LTE) – Download
- TWRP Recovery for Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 (WiFi) – Download
Once you have downloaded the recovery for your model then you can proceed with its installation. If you do not want to install a custom recovery on your phone but just want to root then follow the last method. Also, go through the requirement list before installing the recovery.
- Download TWRP Recovery image (use the above link)
- Download Odin flash tool
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on your PC
- Take a full backup of your phone
- The bootloader must be unlocked
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy Tab S6
- Copy the TWRP tar file to your computer. Transfer Magisk zip & multidisabler zip file to your phone.
- Extract the Odin zip file and run the Odin.exe.
- Make sure that the Samsung Tab S6 bootloader is unlocked. Also, enable USB debugging from Developer options.
- Power off your device.
- Press & hold Volume Up + Volume Down together and while holding buttons connect the phone to PC using a USB cable.
- When the Warning screen appears on the phone release both buttons.
- In the Warning, screen click Volume Up button to continue to boot into Download Mode.
- Now in Odin, go to the options tab and untick ‘Auto Reboot’. Then click on the AP tab and select the TWRP tar file.
- Then click on Start to install TWRP on your Samsung Tab S6.
- After installing press & hold Volume Up + Power button together and release buttons when you see the Samsung logo. This will reboot the Tab S6 into TWRP Recovery.
- Disconnect the phone and long press Volume Down + Power button together and when the screen goes off immediately long press Volume Up + Power button. This will boot into TWRP Recovery.
- In TWRP, swipe to allow modification. Then go to Wipe > Format data, type yes and tap enter. Go back to TWRP home and select Reboot > Recovery.
- Don’t reboot now if you want to root, first go through below root guide.
Root Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 with TWRP
This method to root Galaxy Tab S6 requires TWRP recovery and if you haven’t installed it then follow the last method to root your device.
- Download and transfer the Magisk Zip file to your phone (you can transfer while in TWRP). No need if Magisk & multidisabler is in the phone storage.
- Now in TWRP click on Install.
- Locate and select the Magisk.zip file that you recently copied.
- Then swipe the slider to flash Magisk and root Galaxy Tab S6.
- Flash multi disabler zip with the same process that you followed to flash Magisk.
- Reboot your phone to the system.
- Now install Magisk Manager and open it.
- Complete all the in-app tasks and enjoy the root access.
Root Samsung Tab S6 with Odin Tool
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked and Install Magisk Manager on your phone.
- In PC extract the downloaded Firmware and copy AP.tar (AP_A707XXXU1ASIX_EXAMPLE_0000000_user_low_ship_MU LTI_CERT_meta_OS9.tar) to phone storage.
- Open the Magisk Manager app and click on first Install > Install.
- In Select Method choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.Then browse and locate the AP.tar file and wait for the patching process
- After patching, the output file will be saved in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.tar.
- Copy the magisk_patched.tar file to your computer and follow further steps.
- Power off your phone and boot into Download Mode (follow the same steps which are given in twrp install guide). Then Connect your phone to the computer.
- Now open the Odin tool on your pc, switch to the Options tab and untick Auto-Reboot.
- Click on the AP button and select magisk_patched.tar file. Then click on the BL button and select the BL file (it will be in the extracted firmware folder). Similarly, select the CP and CSC file in Odin.
- After selecting all required files click on the Start button. Wait for the success message you can also track the progress on the top left.
- After installing, you need to perform a full Wipe. Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together and as soon as the screen goes off, immediately press and now hold the Volume Up + Power button and release the Power button when you see the Samsung logo.
- Keep pressing the Volume Up button while erasing and when the screen goes off immediately press & hold Volume Up + Power button together. Again release the Power button when the Samsung logo appears but keep pressing the Volume Up button.
- When the device boot into stock recovery, release the Volume Up button. Wipe all the data by choosing Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
- After the complete wipe, select Reboot Now and then immediately press the Volume Up + Power button. Release both buttons when the bootloader screen appears.
- Open the Magisk Manager and complete in-app activity. Now your Tab S6 is successfully rooted.
Follow the below process to boot your device carefully.
- System without Root: Normal power-up
- Recovery Mode: Press & hold Volume Up + Power button together and when you see Warning screen release the only Power button and keep pressing Volume Up button until you see Recovery.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Galaxy Tab S6. Now you can remove bloatware, install Apps that require root access, take backup using Titanium Backup. And if you get any error while rooting your phone let us know in the comment section.