Motorola has recently launched several smartphones in different series. The latest phone in the Edge series is Motorola Edge X30. The Edge series gained popularity with its first flagship phone with a waterfall display. The Edge X30 continues the popularity of the Edge series. If you have Edge X30 then here is the guide for you. Here you will learn how to root Motorola Edge X30 and how to unlock bootloader of Edge X30.
The Motorola Edge X30 comes with some impressive specifications which are obvious as it is a flagship phone from Motorola. It is one of the first few phones to be powered by the Snapdragon 8 Gen1 SoC. The phone has a 6.7-inch FHD+ OLED display that supports up to 144Hz refresh rate. It runs on Android 12 based MYUI 3.0. The phone is paired with 8GB/12GB RAM and 128GB/256GB UFS 3.1 storage.
Motorola Edge X30 has three rear cameras: 50MP + 50MP + 2MP setup. On the front, it has a 60MP selfie camera. One of the main advantages of Motorola phones is that they come with a clean and basic UI for a smooth and better experience. This means you won’t be able to get advanced customizations and features. So if you are planning to root your Motorola Edge X30, then this is the guide you can follow. Here you will also learn how to unlock the bootloader of Motorola Edge X30.
How to Root Motorola Edge X30
Motorola phones run on a clean UI like stock Android but lack many advanced customizations. But thankfully it is possible to root Motorola phones, which many OEMs restrict on their devices. Rooting brings a ton of new features and a full open OS that you can customize however you like. To root the Motorola Edge X30, you need to unlock the bootloader of the Edge X30 as well. You can follow the unlock bootloader guide in the next section.
Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Edge X30
Motorola phones also come with locked bootloaders that restrict users from rooting or modifying the device at the system level. This is a security feature to avoid data mining in case the phone is stolen. But Motorola allows users or developers to unlock the bootloader if they wish. The process is quite different but easy to follow. Check all the below steps to unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge X30.
- Start with taking a full backup of your phone as unlocking the bootloader on Motorola Edge X30 will delete all the data.
- Next install ADB & Fastboot drivers and Motorola USB Driver on your PC. Download platform tools folder if fastboot driver not working.
- Open Settings and go to About Phone. Tap Build Number 7-8 times, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- Go back to Settings and then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Now turn off your device. Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Motorola Edge X30 into Fastboot Mode.
- And once the Fastboot screen appears on your phone, release both buttons. Then connect your phone to your PC when it is in Fastboot mode.
- Open the Command window or CMD on your computer. Open it from Platform Tools location in case of macOS and Linux.
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- The output will display a 5-line code. Copy the code and make it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in the case of Mac.
- Now go to the Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key‘ (make sure to select I Agree).
- You will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in the below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge X30. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
After unlocking the bootloader, you can confirm by checking the status in bootloader mode or in the developer options. Once you verify the status you can proceed with the rooting steps. Let’s move further with the prerequisites.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Edge X30
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Magisk APK
- Download the Motorola Edge X30 Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Motorola Edge X30 with Magisk
- Copy the Motorola Edge X30 firmware on your PC and extract the boot.img file from firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- After installing, open the Magisk app and click on the first Install button.
- Next choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Now browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file magisk_patched.img will be stored in the download folder.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb or platform tools. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Motorola Edge X30 to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer.
- Go to C:\adb folder or platform-tools folder (where you saved the boot image file) and replace the folder location with CMD and hit enter to open CMD on that location.
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Enter the below command to flash patched Magisk file and root Motorola Motorola Edge X30.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image. Reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
Once rooting steps are completed, you can check in the Magisk app. Magisk should show installed status. You can also check it through any third party root checker apps. You can now customize your phone for better performance like removing pre installed apps and more. Root access also allows installing Xposed Modules. To use modules, you can use this guide to install Xposed Framework.
So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Motorola Edge X30 and how to unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge X30. If you have any queries regarding the root guide, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola: