Motorola has recently launched a bunch of budget phones and even many budget phones are coming from Motorola. We can say the Moto E series is the second popular series by Motorola after Moto G. And Moto E40 is the latest device under Moto E series and comes with interesting features. This guide is about rooting Motorola Moto E40. Here you will know how to root Moto E40 and how to unlock bootloader of Moto E40.
Motorola E40 is an entry level phone that comes with amazing specifications under a low budget price range. The phone was released last month i.e. October 2021 and it is available globally. The device comes with Android 11 which is now the second latest Android version. It is powered by a Unisoc Tiger 700 processor which performs similarly to MTK Helio P90. The device is available in 4GB RAM along with 64GB Internal storage option.
Moto E40 features a 6.5-inch HD+ display with 90Hz refresh rate. It has three cameras at the back: 40MP Main + 2MP Depth + 2MP Macro sensors. It has an 8MP Selfie camera. Other features include a 5000mAh battery. Like other Motorola phones, it provides a basic stock software experience without customizations. And so for advanced customizations, you can root Moto E40. We will also share how to unlock bootloader of Moto E40.
How to Root Moto E40
Reasons for rooting an Android phone can vary as per users as rooting opens a whole lot of options for tweaking, customization, os level authority, and more. It depends on how much knowledge you have or learning about advanced controls. Whatever your reason is, this guide will let you know how to root Moto E40. But to root E40, first you need to unlock bootloader of Moto E40 which is important, so let’s first check the bootloader guide.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader of Moto E40
Like other Android phones, Motorola Moto E40 also comes with locked bootloader which restricts users from the root and other advanced customizations. So in order to root your phone, you have to unlock its bootloader first. Luckily Motorola allows its users to unlock bootloader with an official method available for Motorola phones. Let’s now jump into steps to unlock bootloader of Moto E40.
- Unlocking bootloader of Moto E40 will reset your device so make sure to take a full backup.
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers and Motorola USB Driver on your PC.
- Open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times on Build Number, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- Go back to Settings and navigate to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Now turn off your device. Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Moto E40 into Fastboot Mode.
- And when you see the Fastboot screen on your phone release both buttons. Then connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable.
- Open Command window from Platform Tools location (Guide to open CMD from a location).
- Now enter the below command to get a code.
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- The output will display a 5-line code. Copy the code and adjust it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy bootloader in case of windows and Info in the case of Mac.
- Next go to the Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on the ‘Can my device be unlocked’ button and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Then you will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in the below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader of Moto E40. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
After unlocking the bootloader you are eligible for the root process. But as different tools and files are required for rooting, make sure to go through the requirement section.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Moto E40
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Magisk APK or Canary Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Moto E40 Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Moto E40 with Magisk
- First copy the Moto E40 firmware on your PC and extract the boot.img file from firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- After installing the app, open it and click on the Install button next Magisk.
- Now choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Look for the boot.img file and select it. It will start patching the boot image.
- After patching, the output file will be saved in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb or platform tools. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Moto E40 to Fastboot mode and connect it to your PC.
- Open CMD from C:\adb folder or platform-tools folder where you saved the boot image file (check guide here). You can open it by entring CMD in file location.
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Motorola Moto E40.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image. Reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
After rooting your phone, you can verify it through a third-party root checker app or from Magisk directly. And once you have root access on your phone, you can apply advanced customization, third party themes, and more. You can also install Xposed Modules. We have a guide on how to install Xposed Framework that you can check.
So this was a complete guide on how to root Moto E40 and how to unlock bootloader of Moto E40. If you have any queries regarding the root guide, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola: