Samsung Galaxy M40 is among the few phones which come with punch hole design. Along with the design, the phone is loaded with great specs. You can also customize your phone like rooting to get the maximum performance. Here you will know how to root Samsung Galaxy M40 with Magisk.
If you have gone through guides to root Galaxy M40 then you have probably got the method which uses the TWRP Recovery. But till now the TWRP recovery for Galaxy M40 is not available so, in this case, follow this guide which is tested on SM-M405F and its working. This method requires Odin Flash tool (link given below) which will help you to flash Magisk. Now let’s dive into the detailed guide to root Galaxy M40.
There are many root related queries that you should know before rooting your phone. It will give you the idea that what will happen if you root your phone. These terms will help you to decide whether you should root your Galaxy M40 or not. So let’s start with understanding the concept of Root.
What is Root?
Rooting any phone gives access to the Root of the operating system on which phone is running. It means you will have the full control over all the system files and you can change it accordingly whenever you want. It opens a portal for system-level customization.
Advantages of Root
- Full control over the operating system of your phone
- All the apps that require root access will start working
- Easy tweaks to increase performance manually
- Uninstall unnecessary preinstalled apps (bloatware)
- Easy full backup and restore
- Blocks annoying ads from all the apps (requires Adblocker)
- Better battery life and system performance
Note: Many users think that installing custom ROMs or Recovery requires root access which is not true at all. You just have to unlock bootloader to install custom ROMs & Recoveries on your phone.
Disadvantages of Root
- Following the wrong method could brick your device
- Rooting will void the warranty of the phone
- The device will not get any official OTA updates after rooting
- In the case of Samsung phones, the Samsung Knox feature will not work anymore
You May Also Like | Google Camera 6.1 for Samsung Galaxy M40
How to Root Samsung Galaxy M40
Now you know both the advantages and disadvantages of Rooting. So if you think you can use your phone despite these disadvantages then follow the root guide given below and root Galaxy M40. But first, collect all the required tools and files from the prerequisite section.
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked (Follow this guide)
- Make sure OEM unlocking is enabled and greyed out
- Download Odin Flash Tool on PC
- Install latest Magisk Manager App on the phone
- Take a full backup of your phone (This method will delete all the data)
- Download Firmware for your phone (The same version on which your phone is running) – Link for SM-405F Firmware
Guide to Root Samsung Galaxy M40
- Extract the downloaded firmware package.
- In extracted folder check for AP tar file and copy it to phone storage (remember the location).
- Open Magisk Manager App on your phone.
- Click on Install > Install and then pick ‘Select and Patch a File’. Select the AP tar file that you have recently copied in phone storage.
- It will start patching the file and after patching the patched file (magisk_patched.tar) will be stored in the download folder.
- Copy the magisk_patched.tar file to PC. And boot your phone into download mode (use this guide).
- Open Odin Flash Tool on PC. Uncheck ‘Auto-Reboot’ option (available under the options tab) and put the magisk_patched.tar file in AP section.
- Also put the BL, CP, & Home CSC files in their respective sections (These files will be in extracted firmware folder).
- While in Download Mode connect your phone to PC. Then click on Start in Odin tool to flash the files.
- After flashing files on your phone boot your phone in stock recovery mode. For that long press Power + Volume down button together to exit download mode and as soon as the screen goes off long press Power + Volume Up button. Release the buttons after entering stock recovery.
- In recovery mode press Volume buttons to navigate. Go to Wipe data/factory reset and when this is highlighted press power button to wipe data.
- After complete data wipe navigate to Reboot system now using Volume buttons and select it using the Power button. After selecting Reboot system now, immediately long-press Power + Volume Up buttons and release the buttons when you see the bootloader warning screen.
- Let the device boot into the system and then set up your phone. Connect your phone to the Internet. Open Magisk Manager app, if not available then install it again and open.
- Magisk Manager will ask for additional setup and the device will automatically reboot once.
- That’s all now you have successfully rooted Galaxy M40. Enjoy.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Samsung Galaxy M40 with Magisk. The method is tested and it’s working. After rooting you will be able to use apps like Titanium Backup. So enjoy your rooted Samsung Galaxy M40. And if you have any queries regarding the guide, comment with your query and we will reply with the solution.