Pixel 3a & 3a XL are the mid-range phones by Google. The price of both phones is nearly half compared to last year’s Pixel 3 & 3 XL. But performance is nearly the same especially the Camera. You can modify the device for the best performance that you like by rooting it. Here you will know how to root Pixel 3a & Pixel 3a XL with Magisk.
Magisk is the best tool for rooting any Android Phone. And recently the developer of Magisk successfully rooted the Pixel 3 running on Android Q. It means now you can root Pixel phones running Android Q including Pixel 3a/3a XL. Although we haven’t tested this method on Android Q, you can try it on your phone. The method is common for both Pixel 3a & 3a XL. So if you have any of these phones then this guide is for you.
As the time of writing, the working TWRP Recovery is not available for Pixel 3a and so here we are going to use the alternate method. But this also works well and the method is tested. So follow the step by step method to root Pixel 3a & Pixel 3a XL using Magisk. Check out the Pixel 3a & Pixel 3a XL specifications below.
Pixel 3a & 3a XL – Details
The only difference between both phones is only the display. Pixel 3a features a 5.6-inch display and Pixel 3a XL features a 6.0-inch display. Both Pixel 3a & 3a XL runs on Android 9 Pie out of the box. The 3a series powered with Snapdragon 670 processor with integrated Adreno 615 GPU. The series is coupled with 4GB RAM and 64GB of internal storage.
Talking about camera both have a 12.2-megapixel rear camera which combines with Google Camera and performs better than 48-megapixel cameras. And at the front there is a single 8-megapixel selfie camera. The battery is 3000mAh power with fast charging support. Now let’s see the method to root Pixel 3a & Pixel 3a XL using Magisk.
How to Root Pixel 3a & Pixel 3a XL
If you are following root guides from YTECHB and have read any root guide using Patched boot image then this method is the same. Here also we will be using the patched boot image. It’s a step by step guide so don’t miss any step or you may end up bricking your phone. First, make sure to follow pre-requirements.
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked (Follow this guide)
- Take a full backup of phone’s data (To restore if anything goes wrong)
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on PC
- Download latest Android SDK Platform-Tools
- Download Factory Image for your Phone (Version should be similar to running)
Steps to Root Pixel 3a
- Download Magisk Manager APK on your phone.
- Install the App and open it, update it to the latest version.
- Extract the platform tools zip on PC.
- Extract the downloaded Factory Image and copy boot.img to the phone storage.
- Open Magisk Manager App and click Install > Install.
- Then choose the option ‘Select and Patch a File’ and select the boot.img.
- It will start patching the boot file and the patched boot image will be saved to download folder.
- Copy the patched boot image to the extracted platform tools folder and rename the patched boot image to boot.img.
- Copy the location of platform tools where boot.img is located.
- Open CMD and then paste the location after cd and enter
- Power off your phone. Then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot into Fastboot Mode.
- Connect the Phone to PC while in Fastboot Mode.
- Enter the below command to get the current slot
fastboot getvar current-slot
- It will return the current slot, remember it.
- Now enter the below command, and in place of letter write the letter that you got in step 12
fastboot flash boot_letter boot.img
- Reboot your phone using the below command
- Your Pixel 3a is now rooted. Open Magisk Manager and complete the App instructions, if it commands.
That’s it, this is how to root Pixel 3a without using TWRP recovery. Now you can access system files and even modify it. And if you get any error while rooting your Pixel 3a then make sure to comment below. We will reply with the solution to fix the error. Enjoy rooting.