About a few weeks ago Google announced Android Q first beta for Pixel Smartphones. And now the Google has released Android Q Beta 2 for Pixels series. If you want to test the Android Q on your pixel smartphone then this guide is for you. Here you will get to know how to download and Install Android Q Beta 2 on Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 3, and Pixel 3 XL.
Google has also made available the Android Q Beta 2 images for Pixel phones, it means you can manually install Android Q Beta 2 on Pixel devices. You can also get Android Q Beta 2 OTA update on your phone by enrolling to the beta program. Total there are two ways to install Android Q Beta 2 on Pixel devices and here I am going to explain both method. So if you want to get Android Q Beta 2 on your pixel phone then follow the below guide. But before that make sure to read the changes and features of Android Q Beta 2 build.
Android Q Beta 2 Features
The second Android Q beta build is available as a build number QPP2.190228.021 and it comes with the latest security patch of April 2019. In Android Beta first build we get to experience features like system-wide dark mode, theming options, desktop mode and much more. And in the second build, there are some useful features added which you will like. Here are new features that come on the second build of Android Q Beta.
Android Q offers an easy way to use apps like messaging, hangout, notes which will popup bubble just like facebook messenger app. It will let users send replies without opening the App, just use the bubble icon and send your message.
Foldable phones are already in the news and Android Q is well customized to support foldable phone as well. The Android Q support on Android Studio will let developers build Apps and games with foldable phone support.
Now let’s see how you can experience these new features on your pixel devices. Follow the below guide to install Android Q Beta 2 on Pixel phones with multiple methods.
Note: Make sure to take a backup before you begin the process, to avoid data loss.
How to Install Android Q Beta 2 on Pixel Phones
If you are already in the first build of Android Q then you can check for updates from settings, and you don’t need to follow these methods. There are multiple ways to install Android Q beta 2 on your Pixel devices, so choose the one that you think as easy. These methods will only work with Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 3, and Pixel 3 XL.
Install Android Q Beta 2 on Pixel Phones (via OTA)
To get the Android Q beta 2 update over the air on your device then you have to enroll your device into the Android q beta program.
- Open Chrome browser on your PC or Phone.
- Login in the browser with the same Google ID that is associated with your pixel phone.
- Visit Google Android Q Beta Program page on the Chrome browser.
- In the Beta Program page, click on “View your eligible devices”.
- It will now show all the pixel phones that are associated with your Google Account you are signed with.
- Now under the pixel device on which you want to install Android Q beta 2, click on Opt-In.
- It will show an agreement which you have to accept by selecting “I Agree”. Then click on Join Now.
- In your Pixel phone open Settings.
- Go to System > Advanced > System Updates.
- In System update page click on “check for updates”.
- It will show the available Android Q beta update. If it does not show wait for few hours and then again check for updates.
- Click on Download & Install and it will start installing the update.
- After automatic reboot, your phone will be running on Android Q Beta OS.
Install Android Q Beta 2 on Pixel Phones (via System Image)
System Image is available for all the six Pixel devices on the Google Android Q beta page. It means you can instantly upgrade your phone to Android Q beta 2 without any waiting time. Download the system image file and install it manually on your pixel phone.
Warning: This method will remove all the data on your phone. So a complete backup is recommended before installation.
Download Android Q Beta 2 System Image
- Pixel Android Q Beta 2 System Image
- Pixel XL Android Q Beta 2 System Image
- Pixel 2 Android Q Beta 2 System Image
- Pixel 2 XL Android Q Beta 2 System Image
- Pixel 3 Android Q Beta 2 System Image
- Pixel 3 XL Android Q Beta 2 System Image
Unlock Bootloader on Pixel Phones
- In Pixel phone, open Settings and go to About Phone.
- Tap continuously on Build Number until it says “You are now a developer”.
- Go back to Settings and now go to Developer options.
- In developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Completely power off your device.
- Press & hold Volume down+Power button together to boot into bootloader/fastboot mode.
- Download and Install Minimal adb and fastboot on your Windows PC.
- Go to the location C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot or the location where you have installed the minimal adb and fastboot.
- Connect your phone to PC via USB.
- In Minimal adb and fastboot folder, open cmd-here.exe.
- Enter the following command
- For 2015 and later devices
fastboot flashing unlock
- For 2014 and older devices
fastboot oem unlock
- For 2015 and later devices
- In the phone, a pop-up will appear for confirmation so tap on Yes.
- To reboot the device enter the command
- Now your phone will be reboot into the system and ready to install system image file.
Install Android Q Beta 2 on Pixel Phones
- Make sure that Minimal ADB & Fastboot is installed on your PC.
- Also Make sure that Bootloader is unlocked on your Pixel phone (follow the above steps).
- Download the Android Q Beta 2 system image on your PC for your specific Pixel phone.
- Extract the downloaded system image file on your PC.
- Power off your Pixel device.
- Press & hold Power + Volume Down button together to boot into bootloader/fastboot mode.
- Connect your phone to PC via USB.
- Go to the location C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot (or the location where you have installed minimal adb & fastboot) on your PC. Copy all the items from the folder.
- Paste all the copied items to the extracted system image folder.
- Run the flash-all.bat file in case of Windows OS or run flash-all.sh file in case of MacOS.
- It will take a few minutes, so wait for the completion. After installing the system image successfully, the phone will automatically reboot into system.
- Setup your device and enjoy Android Q Beta 2 on your Pixel phone.
After installing the second build of Android Q Beta, you can relock the bootloader again if you want. Just run the command “fastboot flashing lock” or “fastboot oem lock” (follow the unlock bootloader section given above).
So there you have it the full guide to install Android Q Beta 2 on Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 3, and Pixel 3 XL. If you are facing any problem on installing the update make sure to comment below with your problem and we will reply with the solution as soon as possible. You can also use Facebook to ask your queries.