Samsung Galaxy A series is popular for budget and mid range phones. Samsung keeps experimenting by trying new designs in A series and M series phones. And specifically talking about Galaxy A80 then it is the top variant in A series. It comes with quite a unique design and looks really impressive as there are very small bezels and no camera on display. It packs with great specs and performs better than expected. But if you want to play with the device for more features. Here you will know how to root Galaxy A80 along with how to unlock bootloader on Samsung Galaxy A80.
If we talk about its specifications then the device features a 6.7-inch FHD+ (1080×2400) Super AMOLED display. It is powered with a Snapdragon 730G processor with Adreno 618 GPU. On the storage size the phone packs with 8GB RAM and 128GB ROM. Galaxy A80 boasts a 3700 mAh battery with quick charging support. The performance is limited because of security reasons but you can get advanced features by rooting your device.
Rooting Galaxy A80 will provide more options like installing Custom fonts, third party themes, custom boot animation and more. If you want to customize your phone using Xposed modules then rooting is the only option that is open. And it is not just going to help you customize your phone but also it will let you explore hidden features as well. But there is one catch that you need to unlock bootloader if you want to root your phone.
How to Root Samsung A80
Samsung shifted from experience UI to One UI which is more secure and most of the Samsung phones are already running OneUI. It is hard to root Samsung nowadays because of dual-layer security on OneUI. But it is possible, so follow the method given in this guide to root your Galaxy A80. As you need it requires unlocking bootloader so first, we will share a guide to unlock the bootloader.
Samsung Galaxy A80 Unlock Bootloader
Samsung devices come with locked bootloader like other brand phones. And so we need to first unlock bootloader to have root access on our phones. Samsung allows us to easily unlock bootloader which is a big advantage. So let’s jump into steps to unlock bootloader.
- First, take a full backup of your phone as unlocking bootloader will delete all data from your phone.
- Open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone.
- In About Phone click 7-8 times on Build Number to enable developer options. It will display ‘You are now a developer’.
- Head over to developer options (Settings > Advance Options > Developer Options).
- In developer options, enable OEM Unlocking as well as USB debugging options.
- Now turn off your phone. Then press & hold Volume Up + Volume Down together and connect the phone to PC when holding both buttons.
- Release both buttons when the Warning screen appears and press the Volume Up button to boot Galaxy A80 into Download Mode.
- Now long press Volume Up button to Unlock Bootloader on Galaxy A80. It will wipe data from your phone and the Samsung A80 bootloader will be unlocked.
- After restart, you need to again enable Developer Option with the same steps given above.
- Then make sure OEM Unlocking is greyed out in developer options. If it is greyed out, then you have successfully unlocked bootloader on Galaxy A80 and if not then you try again in a few days.
Once you have unlocked bootloader on your Galaxy A80 then you are all set to root your phone. But before that go through the requirements mentioned below.
Must Check | Download Google Camera 6.2 for Samsung Galaxy A80
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Download Odin Flash Tool
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked of your phone
- Download the firmware (the same version on which your phone is running) – You can use SamFirm to download
- Charge your phone to at least 50% & take a full backup of your phone
- It will trip Knox feature on Samsung phones
Root Samsung Galaxy A80 with Magisk Patched File
- Copy the downloaded Magisk Manager APK on your phone and install it.
- Now extract the Galaxy A80 Firmware on your computer. The extracted folder will have AP, BL, CP & CSC files. Copy the AP file to your Galaxy A80.
- On your phone open the Magisk Manager App and click on the Install > Install.
- It will display two options, click on the ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Then locate the AP tar file that you copied recently and it will start patching the file.
- After patching the AP file, the output file will be saved to the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.tar. Copy the magisk_patched.tar to your computer.
- You need to boot your Galaxy A80 to Download Mode. Prefer the same steps which are given in the unlock bootloader guide.
- When the device is in Download Mode, connect it to the computer. Skip if already connected to PC.
- Now open Odin.exe on your computer then switch to the Options tab and uncheck Auto Reboot.
- Click on the AP button and select magisk_patched.tar file. Then click on the BL button and select the BL file (it will be in the extracted firmware folder). Similarly, select the CP and CSC file in Odin.
- After adding AP, BL, CP & CSC files in the respective tabs, click on the Start button. It will start flashing the file so wait for the success message which will show ‘Pass’.
- Now you need to carefully boot into the rooted system using the below button combination.
- Press & hold the Volume Up + Power button and release all the buttons when you see the warning screen.
- After reboot, open the Magisk Manager and complete in-app instructions. That’s all, now you have successfully rooted your Samsung A80.
Samsung phones are difficult to manage root but once you know all the button combos to boot into different systems you will find it easy. So after rooting you need to learn how you can boot into the phone with root access or without root access.
- Without Root -> Power up normally
- With Root -> Press & hold Volume Up + Power button > Release both button when Bootloader warning screen appears
- Recovery Mode -> Press & hold Volume Up + Power button > Release Power button but keep holding Volume Up button
Some user has also reported that after rooting the Phone storage decreases to 32GB, so in this follow one of the below points.
- After flashing magisk, Reboot your phone and set up your device without adding Google Account.
- Enable USB Debugging in developer options.
- Then go to About Phone and click on Reset under looking for something else.
- After reset, install Magisk Manager and enjoy root access with full storage.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Samsung Galaxy A80 and how to unlock bootloader on Galaxy A80. If you have any questions on your mind then let us know in the comment section below.