From launching one or two devices a year, OnePlus has come so far and now releases almost 5-6 devices every year. Number R series and Nord series are the new OnePlus phone series, And recently, OnePlus has released the OnePlus 10R which is a premium mid range phone. If you own OnePlus 10R this guide is for you. Here you will know how to root OnePlus 10R and how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 10R.
Before we directly jump to the steps first let’s check out the quick specifications. The phone was launched last month after rounds of rumors and leaks. It comes with a 6.7-inch FHD+ fluid AMOLED display. And it supports up to 120Hz refresh rate. The device is powered by MediaTek Dimensity 8100-Max SoC and it is coupled with 8/12GB RAM and 128/256GB storage. It has three cameras at the back (50MP + 8MP + 2MP) and a 16MP selfie camera.
OnePlus 10R comes with Android 12 based OxygenOS 12.1. And as you may already know OxygenOS has changed a lot and no longer gives the feel of old OxygenOS. It is more like ColorOS. But you can always make changes to customize the phone as per your liking. For advanced customization, you need to root your phone. Along with root, we will also share how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 10R.
How to Root OnePlus 10R
Rooting an Android phone is still possible but not easy. However, for the OnePlus phone, it is not as complex a task as Samsung. It is because of a few reasons that you will know later. Rooting brings many advanced as well as missing basic features such as custom fonts, third party themes, and more. But for rooting the OnePlus 10R, you need to unlock its bootloader as well. So let’s first start with a guide on how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 10R.
OnePlus 10R Unlock Bootloader
Unlocking bootloader of any Android phone is necessary in case you want to install custom ROMs or for the rooting process. Bootloader is a security feature on Android phones that includes OnePlus phones. It restricts users from modifying the device like rooting or other modifications. Now let’s jump into the steps to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 10R.
- Take a full backup of phone data as unlocking bootloader process will delete data from your phone.
- You can either Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your computer or use Android SDK Tool (platform tools folder). Platform tools will work on Mac and Linux as well.
- Open Settings on your OnePlus 10R and go to the ‘About Phone’ option.
- Look for the Build Number (under Version) and tap 7-8 times on it. It will display ‘You are now a developer’ or ‘You are already a developer.’
- Go back to the main Settings then go to System > Developer Options.
- In Developer Options, you need to enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging.
- Power off your phone. Then press and hold the Power button and Volume down button together. You can release the power button when the OnePlus logo appears. Don’t release volume down.
- Now choose English > Advanced > Reboot to Fastboot Mode.
- Once the OnePlus 10R boots into Fastboot Mode, connect your phone to your computer.
- Now open the command/CMD window on your PC. If you have downloaded platform tools, open cmd from its location.
- Enter the below command to check the device connectivity with the computer. It will return some device id.
- Enter the given command to start unlocking bootloader on OnePlus 10R.
fastboot oem unlock
- The above command will display some options on your phone. Use the Volume keys to toggle options. Select ‘Unlock the Bootloader’ and press the Power button.
- Warning, it will remove all data during the process. The device will now auto-reboot into the system after finishing the bootloader unlock.
- Now Set up your OnePlus 10R and enjoy the device with unlocked bootloader.
After unlocking the bootloader you can confirm in the developer options and fastboot screen (device state will show unlcoked). There are some requirements you need to collect that are required for root.
- Take a full backup of your phone
- Download Magisk APK on your phone
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver installed on your PC (Or Download Platform Tools)
- Download firmware of OnePlus 10R (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root OnePlus 10R with Magisk
- Extract OnePlus 10R firmware and copy the boot.img to your phone. You might need to use payload dumper tool.
- Install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk app and click on the Install.
- Now choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the available options.
- Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image and paste it to your computer in folder C:\adb (Copy it in the platform tools folder if you are using cmd from there). Rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Next reboot your OnePlus 10R to Fastboot or bootloader mode and connect it to your computer. Follow the steps in the bootloader guide section.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder), type cmd in the location bar and press enter to open the command window on that location (full guide to open cmd from any location).
- Now enter the below command to flash patched Magisk and root OnePlus 10R.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image, reboot your phone. You can use fastboot reboot command.
- Install Magisk app if it’s not already installed. Now you will see Magisk installed which means your OnePlus 10R is rooted.
You can check for root access in any third party root checker app, they will ask for root privilege. With root access, you can use the best Xposed Modules to get advanced features on your OnePlus 10R. We have also shared a guide to install Xposed Framework.
So that’s all on how to root OnePlus 10R phones and how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 10R. If you have a OnePlus phone, you can check out more guides on OnePlus.