Nokia 2.2 is a budget phone from 2019 and it packs some decent specs. And as you know Nokia doesn’t allow users to unlock the bootloader officially. But recently one of the XDA members managed to unlock bootloader of Nokia 2.2. It means finally you can also unlock the bootloader and root your Nokia 2.2. And here we are just going to share that. Here you will know how to root Nokia 2.2.
Nokia is owned by HMD global which is a Finnish company. The company doesn’t allow unlocking bootloader unlike other companies out there. But in the past couple of years, we have seen some loopholes in firmware, and developers catch it easier to unlock bootloader. But not all Nokia users get this opportunity. If you own a Nokia 2.2, then here is your chance to unlock bootloader.
Nokia 2.2 comes with specifications like a 5.71-inch HD+ display, MediaTek Helio A22 processor, PowerVR GE8320 GPU, 2/3 GB RAM, 16/32 GB storage, 13MP main camera, 5MP front camera, and more. You can improve the performance of your phone with some tweaks. We generally don’t share root guides for Nokia phones as it is impossible for most Nokia phones. But since users can now unlock bootloader on Nokia 2.2, here we are with the root guide.
How to Root Nokia 2.2
Rooting an Android phone brings a lot of new and advanced features. If you wish to use apps like Greenify, Android Terminals, then you need root access on your phone. It also allows us to enjoy the latest customizations which give the feel of the latest Android updates.
Nokia phones are not popular among developers and restriction for unlocking bootloader is the main reason. So, you may not get to experience custom ROMs or custom Kernels on your phone. But at least you can root your Nokia phone to get most of the custom ROM features. Some of the basic features you can get after rooting are custom fonts, custom boot animation, third-party themes, and more.
As we mentioned earlier, you need to first unlock the bootloader of Nokia 2.2 before rooting. And now it is possible but the process is complex. Thanks to an XDA member who shared a detailed guide to unlock bootloader on Nokia 2.2. You can follow the guide here.
We are going to use Magisk for rooting Nokia 2.2. Using Magisk is now slightly different as the recent release drops the Magisk Manager. You can now manage root directly from the Magisk App. There aren’t many changes in the steps to root an Android phone, but if you are rooting for the first time, make sure to check all the steps.
Note: Attempt to root your Nokia phone can break your device, so make sure you are rooting at your own risk.
Let’s start with the requirements followed by rooting steps.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Nokia 2.2
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download latest Magisk APK
- Download the Nokia 2.2 Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Nokia 2.2 with Magisk
If you have a Nokia 2.2 with unlocked bootloader, then you can root your phone with these steps.
- First, extract the boot.img file from Nokia 2.2 firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Now install the Magisk apk on your phone.
- Open the Magisk app and click on the Install.
- In the next step choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Nokia 2.2 to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Nokia 2.2.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image. reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk Manager if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
After rooting your Nokia 2.2, you can verify it using any root check app. Make sure to grant root permission when the root check app asks for it. Now you can use all the apps and features that require root access. And if you like customization, you can also use the various Xposed Modules. But for modules, you need to install Xposed Framework on your phone, you can follow this guide.
Root access brings many other features like support for Adblocker apps, remove system apps, etc. So that’s all in how to root Nokia 2.2 with Magisk. And in case if you have any queries, then let us know in the comment section below.
More Guides on Nokia: