LG V40 ThinQ is an amazing Android smartphone with five cameras. And if you owned this device and looking for a guide to root it, then you are at right place. Here you will know how to root LG V40 ThinQ (LMV405EBW) with Magisk.
It’s not easy to root LG phones because of tough procedures to unlock bootloader. Also, the development for these phones is very less so you won’t see any custom recovery & custom ROM for LG V40 ThinQ. But you can still root the device to get the advantage of it like you can use Apps that require root access and you can also modify system files. Rooting any phone gives full control to users over their phones. So if you want to root your phone then follow the below guide.
How to Root LG V40 ThinQ
To make any type of modification including root first, you need to unlock the bootloader of your phone. There are only a few LG device which has a bigger development community and LG V40 is not of it, so you can not expect too much like installing custom ROMs and TWRP Recovery. But rooting with Magisk is available without any problem if you have unlocked the bootloader of your phone. Before going to steps make sure to read prerequisites, as it is very important to root the phone.
- Unlock the Bootloader of LG V40 ThinQ (follow this guide)
- Take a full backup of phone’s data
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download & Install Magisk Manager on your Phone
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your PC
- Download patched_boot_a.img (for LNV405EBW on 10e firmware)
Steps to Boot into Download Mode
- Open Settings and go to General option on your phone.
- Then go to About Phone > Software Information.
- Find Build Number and tap on it 7 times, it will show “You are now a developer”.
- Go back to Settings > General Option.
- Scroll down below and open Developer Options.
- In developer options, enable USB Debugging. Also make sure Enable OEM Unlock is turned on.
- Connect your phone to PC via USB cable.
- Go to locations C:\adb and press Shift + Right click and select “Open PowerShell window here” or “Open Command window here”.
- Enter the following command and then allow USB Debugging on your phone
- Now enter the following command to boot into bootloader mode
adb reboot bootloader
- Once you are in bootloader mode, you are set to root the device.
Steps to Root LG V40 ThinQ with Magisk
- Download the patched_boot_a.img file from the above download link. If your firmware version is different then follow this method to create a patch file.
- Transfer the Magisk patched image (patched_boot_a.img) file to the location C:\adb.
- Again open the Command/PowerShell window (Press Shift + Right click on empty area).
- Make sure the phone is connected to PC using USB cable and the phone is in bootloader mode.
- Enter the below command to flash patched boot image
- It will boot into the temporary rooted system. Now open Magisk Manager App and click on Install. Select direct install to the active slot. It may show you don’t have the connection to the carrier, ignore it.
- After installing Magisk successfully reboot the device.
- Now you have the rooted LG V40 ThinQ.
After rooting your phone you will have more controls then you had earlier. You can now uninstall system Apps, install any zip file including custom ROMs and Recovery. Also, you can install various Modules on your phone for fixes and modifications.
You May Also Like | Download Google Camera 6.1 APK for LG G6, V20, V30, & V35 ThinQ
If you go through any error while rooting the device, then let us know in the comment section. We will reply with the solution to fix the error. Enjoy your rooted phone.
Related to LG: