An Alexa smart device, as you all know is used as a smart speaker that provides you with updates and information based on voice commands. It also lets you control various other things in your house such as smart light bulbs, your Smart TV, garage doors, and even a few kitchen appliances. However, do you know that you can use your Alexa speaker as a security device? Here you will know how to set up intruder alert on Alexa.
Staying safe at home is important and having security systems enabled at home is a good way to keep your belongings safe. If you’ve got a few Amazon Alexa speakers in your home, you can set them up to alert you in case there’s someone trying to break into your house.
What is Alexa Intruder Alert?
Using the Alexa devices such as Echo speakers, it listens for intruders and if it detects any danger it alerts users through the Alexa Guard. It can detect sounds like glass breaking, smoke alarms, CO alarms, and more. But in order to use the feature correctly, you need to set it up. Interesting right? Here is our guide on how you can set up intruder alerts on your Alexa smart speakers.
Setup Intruder Alert on Alexa
There is no set routine available for you to simply use Intruder Alert on your Alexa speaker. You need to set things up for the alert to work. Here are the steps you need to follow.
Download Alexa App
The first step to setting up intruder alert or even any Alexa device function is downloading the Alexa App. The Alexa app has everything to control Alexa devices and functions directly from the mobile. Alexa app is available for both Android and iOS devices. Install the app on your phone from the app store or play store.
Setup Routines on Alexa App
- Open the Alexa app and sign in with your Amazon account.
- Once you have signed in, tap on the More option at the bottom right of your screen.
- Choose Routines and then tap on the + icon.
- You will be asked to enter a routine name.
- Type in Intruder Alert as the routine name.
- Now, tap on When this happens option and select Voice.
- Simply enter in Intruder Alert and then select Next. Don’t save it yet.
Create an Intruder Alert Action on Alexa App
Once you have created a routine for the command, you now have to create an action that is to be followed by Alexa whenever you issue the Intruder Alert voice command.
- You need to add an action to this routine so tap on Add Action > Smart Home.
- Choose to select all your device or create a control group.
- Select the device and choose what you want the device to do such as switch on or make a noise or maybe even play something.
- Tap on the Add Action option followed by Alexa Says and finally, customized.
- Here you can enter any phrase that you want Alexa to say when the Intruder Alert routine has been activated.
- Choose what devices will be saying the phrase and then save it.
Set up Alexa Guard
You can set up the Alexa Guard which detects various types of sound and alert the user. Here is how to enable the Alexa Guard on Alexa app.
- Open the Alexa app on your phone and open the More tab which is at the last.
- In More, select Settings. Look for the Guard option and open it.
- On the next page tap the Set Up Sound Detection button.
- Check all the boxes you want alerts for and then tap Confirm.
- At last, tap Done to finish the process.
- Alexa Guard will work when Away mode is enabled or users can also say ‘Alexa I’m leaving.’
To test whether it works exactly how you want, simply say Alexa, Intruder Alert, and watch how Alexa runs the routine. If you want to have a bit of fun, you can change the phrase to make Alexa say something funny maybe to play some pranks on a few friends. You can set the Alexa to say ‘I am calling the police.’
How will Alexa Alert you in case of Intrusion?
Alexa devices with Guard features are quite useful. Once you set up the Intruder Alert, the Alexa device will detect noises and then send a notification to your phone. So you can know if there is an unwanted activity in your home and you can then also check security camera footage and take action accordingly.
This is how you can set up the Intruder Alert routine for your Alexa-powered speakers. Now, apart from having this setup, it is advisable to have a proper security surveillance system set up at your home. Also, if there even is a case of an intruder break-in, you will have to ring up the authorities on your own as the Alexa setup will not do that for you. Questions or queries? Feel free to leave them in the comments below. Also, do let us know your experience if you’ve tried to set up the intruder alert with your Alexa speakers.