It’s the second month of 2024 and there have already been a good number of talks about AI being an integral part of smartphones – at least on the Android side of things. Google launched Bard AI officially in 2023 and since then has been improved with a lot of features and more usefulness via updates.
With the Google Bard nameplate heading into the sunset, Google’s AI is now being rebranded into Google Gemini. So, why are we talking about Gemini?
Google wants you the user to get access to and make use of its AI – Google Gemini. So, what is the best way to get people to use it?
It’s by creating an app and making it available for Android devices. Yes. Whether you use a brand-new Android smartphone or a little older one, you can now test and try out Google Gemini on your smartphone.
Want to know how? Read on!
How to Get Google Gemini on Any Android Smartphone
You might be asking well what about iOS? Will iOS users be getting access to Gemini AI and all of its cool features? The answer is yes, but not via the Google Gemini app. We will talk about how iOS users and users with older Android smartphones will be able to access Google Gemini.
But first, let’s take a look at what system requirements are needed to install the Google Gemini app.
Google Gemini – Supported Region
As of writing, Google Gemini is currently live in the United States for Android as well as iOS users. Do note that Google Gemini will work on your smartphone provided the default language on your device has been set to English (US). Google has stated that Google Gemini will go live next week in many other regions around the world.
System Requirements to Install Google Gemini
If you have an Android smartphone that is running on Android 12 and has at least 4GB of RAM can install the Google Gemini app from the Google Play Store.
For iOS users, make sure that your iPhone is running on iOS 15 or newer and use the latest version of the Google app. iOS users can access Google Gemini via the Gemini tab in the Google app. It will only work for users in eligible region.
If you have an Android smartphone that does not meet the requirements to install Google Gemini from the Play Store, you can simply install the Google app and you should be able to access Google Gemini within the app itself.
Download Google Gemini App – Method 1
The first and simple way to get Google Gemini on your supported Android smartphone is by downloading it from the Google Play Store. Here are the steps.
- Launch the Google Play Store app on your Android smartphone.
- Tap on the search bar at the top and type in Google Gemini.
- When you see the app in the results, tap on the Install button.
- The Gogol Gemini app will now be installed on your Android smartphone.
Download Google Gemini App – Method 2
Now, if you have a smartphone that meets the system requirements but is unable to find the app on the Play Store simply because it may not be live in your region, you can still get the app by sideloading the APK file to your Android device. Here is how you can do that.
- Open up the web browser of your choice on your Android smartphone.
- Now, head to this Mega Drive link that has been provided by Mishaal Rehmaan on X (Twitter).
- You should see a green Download button. Tap on it.
- The APK file will now be downloaded to your Android smartphone.
- Head over to your browser’s download section or your file manager’s Download folder to install the APK on your Android smartphone.
Android smartphones that are not supported by the Google Gemini app can access it via a tab that will be available within the Google app. So, make sure to keep the Google app updated on your Android to get access to the new AI tools from Google. The same can be said for iOS users. It doesn’t seem like Google has plans to release a Google Gemini app for iOS devices simply because when Apple releases its own AI tools, it will be exclusive to iOS devices only.
How to Use Google Gemini in Unsupported Regions
While Google Gemini is live in the United States, users who want to try out Google Gemini from different regions can also give it a try. This would require you to change a few settings and you should be good.
Do note that it is not guaranteed to work. But, if it does work for you, well and good.
- First, you will have to download the APK file for Google Gemini by following the sweets mentioned in method 2.
- Once the app has been installed, launch the Google Assistant app.
- Open the Google app and then tap on your profile icon. Then open Settings from the menu
- Head to Google Assistant and select English United States in Language, then go back. Now go to Language and region and select English US in all three options.
- Now, launch the Google Gemini app.
- If it doesn’t display not available in your region message, you can make use of Google Gemini by typing in the commands based on what you want it to do.
This concludes the guide on how you can download and install Google Gemini on your Android-powered smartphone. As mentioned earlier, this may not work for everyone. If it doesn’t work for you, wait for couple of days and try again. If you have any queries let us know in the comment section.