OnePlus 8 Pro is one of the most controversial phones in 2020 because of its Display issues and the Color Filter camera. OnePlus disabled the camera when they first realized that it can see through plastic objects. They enabled back but with limitations and if you want to get back the original photochrom feature then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to enable the color filter camera on OnePlus 8 Pro.
During the release and pre-release ads, OnePlus didn’t focus much on color filter camera and everyone had an opinion that why they put this camera. But later after the release, some users found that the photochrom filter can see through thin plastic objects. And when OnePlus noticed it, they disabled the camera. And now with the new update, OnePlus has nerfed and re-enabled the camera. But it doesn’t work like it was working before. And if you want to get back the same photochrom feature then we are glad to share that you can enable it with shell commands.
One of the XDA members, Piscel found that we can still access the Color Filter camera with a few simple commands. And all thanks to him for sharing the commands and steps for enabling the Photochrom feature. If you are on the latest update and want the initial Photochrom filter camera on your OnePlus 8 Pro then this method will help you to enable it.
Enable Photochrom Mode on OnePlus 8 Pro (No Root)
The reason that we are still able to access photochrom mode is the availability of a hidden app called factory mode. And to open the app we have to use some ADB commands. If you are not aware of ADB and shell commands then don’t worry as we are going to share the step by step method to enable Color filter camera on OnePlus 8 Pro. Color filter camera is already enabled but here enable means to use it with full potential as we were able to use before.
I will split the guide into a few sections to make the guide easier. So let’s start with our first section where you will know how to enable developer options & Wireless debugging on OnePlus 8 Pro. You can skip this method if you already know about it.
Steps to Enable Wireless ADB Debugging on OnePlus 8 Pro
- Open the Settings app on your OnePlus 8 Pro.
- In Settings scroll down till the end and open About Phone.
- Now tap 7-8 times on Build Number and it will show you are now a developer.
- It means the developer options enabled on your phone.
- Go back to Settings and this time go to System.
- In System settings, you will find Developer Options, open it.
- Now in developer options scroll down a bit and enable Wireless ADB Debugging and USB Debugging.
So this is how you can enable Wireless ADB debugging on your phone. And once it is enabled you can get the Shell of your phone for entering shell commands. Let’s now move to the next section.
Steps to Get Shell Access to OnePlus 8 Pro
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your computer or you can use the Platform Tools folder but you need to open the Command window from the Platform Tools.
- Connect your phone to the PC. And now open the Command window on your computer.
- Enter the below command and then allow the debugging on your phone.
- Now we need to get the device transport id, so enter the below command.
adb devices -l
- The above command will show the transport id of your phone. Once you have it enter the below command.
adb -t <transport id> shell
- The transport id will be in single digit, at least it was in my case. Don’t use <> while entering the above command, it is just written for representation.
- Now you have access to the Shell of your phone.
Once you are in the Shell command you can now enable the photochrom filter on your OnePlus 8 Pro. Let’s see which command you have to use.
Steps to Enable Color Filter Camera on OnePlus 8 Pro
- Make sure your phone is connected to PC with USB or wireless ADB.
- Now enter the command below command.
am start -n com.oneplus.factorymode/.camera.manualtest.CameraManualTest
- After entering the above command, the Camera will open on your phone.
- You will see the camera switch icon, so tap on it 4 times to switch to Color Filter camera.
- Now open the Recent Apps screen and lock the Factory Mode app, so that you can use it further without entering the command.
- You can now disconnect your phone. But remember once you reboot or clear the Factory Mode app then you need to enter the commands again.
In case you don’t want to keep the Factory Mode app open and also want to use the Color Filter camera without using the computer. Then we have one solution for you. Thanks to developer lllsondowlll who shared his work on Github with some helpful script that lets you open the app without a computer and without root. But still, you need the computer for the first time to get Termux on your OnePlus 8 Pro.
Open Color Filter Camera from Phone
For this, you need to first install the Termux on your phone so that you can open the camera directly from Termux which will be your phone.
- Make sure to install the Termux on your phone.
- Now enter the below command for ADB installer on Termux.
apt update && apt install wget && wget https://github.com/MasterDevX/Termux-ADB/raw/master/InstallTools.sh && bash InstallTools.sh
- And then enter the below command to install Camera script installer (by lllsondowlll).
wget https://github.com/lllsondowlll/OP8_Camera/raw/master/Camera_Installer && bash Camera_Installer
- After installing the script with the above command now you can enter the below command to open the Factory Mode app.
- You can use the above command when you want to access the Color Filter Camera.
Now you can take amazing photochrom shots with the color filter camera. It is enabled in the main Camera app but it doesn’t work as it was working before. So if you want to get all features then you can follow the above method and enjoy your Color Filter camera.
You May Also Like | Download Google Camera 7.3 for OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to enable color filter camera on OnePlus 8 pro with photochrom feature. If you have any questions then let us know in the comment section.