One of the essential features when buying any vehicle will have to be the support for wired or wireless Android Auto. Why might you ask? Well, you can use Android Auto to navigate through your travels and also be able to make use of a number of Android Auto-supported apps such as Google Maps, Spotify, and a large number of other apps and services. Android Auto is about to get a big overhaul codenamed Coolwalk.
The new version of Android Auto aka Android Auto Coolwalk was first officially announced at the 2022 Google I/O event. But since then, Android Auto lovers wait for this big revamp. The wait is finally over, Google has started rolling out the new Coolwalk update to Android Auto. So the new major redesign will be available to everyone soon.
Android Auto Coolwalk is basically a new interface that helps you to easily navigate and see the necessary information on your vehicle’s dashboard screen without having to fiddle with numerous menus. The update bags a flurry of new features and improvements. Now that the new version of Android Auto has been released, let’s take a look at the features available in the Android Auto Coolwalk, as well as the method to turn it on.
Table of Contents
What’s New in Android Auto Coolwalk?
The new Android Auto Coolwalk UI initially came out with a v8.5.6245 update for the Android Auto app (beta version) and it’s now even better with the release of the latest stable Android Auto v8.6.6250 and the incremental v8.9.6306 update. With this new version, there are a lot of new changes to the UI. These were much-needed changes that can help improve using the head unit while driving. Let’s take a look at what’s new with Android Auto Coolwalk 8.6.6.
- New split screen Android Auto design
- Maps closer to the Driver’s seat for easier navigation
- Quick launcher to quickly access recent apps
- Adaptable split screen layout for different screen sizes
- New Media card includes Material You design to feature the user’s favorite album art
- Google Assistant provides smart suggestions like missed call reminders, quick arrival time sharing, and instant access to music or podcasts
- On screen shortcuts for single tap actions
- Seekable progress bar for music and podcasts
- WhatsApp calls coming soon starting with the latest Samsung and Pixel phones (Coming Soon)
- Digital Car Key sharing coming soon to Samsung and Xiaomi phones (Coming Soon)
- Digital Car Key support will expand to more car brands (Coming Soon)
Android Auto Coolwalk Release Date
So after a long wait, the big redesigned Android Auto is rolling out to everyone starting January 5, 2023. Google showcased the new Android Auto UI at the ongoing CES event and also begins the rollout of the big update. if you don’t know Google was testing the redesigned Android Auto codenamed ‘Coolwalk’ for the last two months. The big update is available with version 8.6.6250. Some of the features related to the update might be available later this year.
Since the new version of Android Auto is now available, a lot of users are interested in knowing how to get this new version as well as what’s new in Android Auto.
Let’s get started.
How to Get Android Auto Coolwalk
Now, even if you are having the latest version of Android Auto installed on your Android device, you might not see the update right away. Because this update is first rolling out as a server-side update, some users have automatically got the new Android Auto Coolwalk. However, there are three ways you can follow to get Android Auto Coolwak on your device right away.
Install Android Auto Coolwalk 8.9.6306 APK (Sideload) – Method 1
Sideloading an Android APK file is simple and easy. It is indeed safe provided that you have downloaded the APK file from verified sources and places where you know that files will not be tampered with. One safe place from where you can download and sideload APK files on your Android device is the APKMirror repository. Follow these steps to sideload the latest available Android Auto APK file.
- On your Android device, launch your favorite browser and visit her APKMirror website.
- Alternatively, click on this link to be taken to the Android Auto download page. Download version 8.6.6250 or 8.7.6302 or 8.9.6306 or later.
- Once you have opened up the download page for Android Auto, click on the latest available version of the app.
- Finally, click on the variant that you want to download.
- The file should begin downloading soon.
- Once downloaded, navigate to the Downloads folder and install it.
- If not enabled, you will have to enable Installation from Unknown sources.
- Now you have your latest version of Android Auto installed.
Clear Android Auto Cache – Method 2
The second method to try to get the server-side update of Android Auto on your device is by clearing the app’s cache. Here are the steps.
- Open the Settings app on your Android device.
- Now, navigate and select the option that says Apps.
- You will have to select Installed Apps. (This will vary from different Android OEMs and Android SO versions).
- Now, scroll through the list of apps installed on your device and tap on the Android Auto app.
- Once you have selected the app, you should be options such as Clear Cache, Clear Data, and Uninstall App.
- Tap on Clear Cache and close the Settings app.
- Now, launch the Android Auto app and ensure that you’re connected to the internet.
- Once connected, you should be seeing the new Android Auto Coolwalk UI on your car’s head unit when have connected your device to the head unit.
Enroll in the Android Auto Beta Program
One alternate way for you to get the latest version of Android Auto Coolwalk is by joining the beta program via the Google Play Store. The stable update is rolling out so no need to join the beta program.
- Launch the Google Play Store on your Android and ensure you’re connected to the internet.
- Now, search for the Android Auto app on the Play Store.
- Once you see the app from the results, select it.
- With the Android Auto app page open, scroll toward the bottom.
- You should see an option that says Join the Beta.
- If the beta program is not full, you will be able to easily join the program, or else you will have to wait.
- Once you have joined the program successfully, you will see the new update to Android Auto show up on your Android device. Simply update the app and make use of the new Coolwalk UI for your car’s navigation unit.
If you want to join beta for the apps like Google Maps, Waze, Google app, and Google Messages app for Android Auto, then you can navigate to this page and opt in to the beta program.
This concludes everything you need to know about the new Android Auto Coolwalk UI update. Now that the in-car head unit will be so much better with the new Android Audot Coolwalk UI, you can expect smooth operation and quick responses while using the app.
Are you someone that has got the new Coolkwalk UI? If so, feel free to share the details and your experience with everyone in the comments section below.