PlayStation 5 is indeed a great console that has a good number of console-exclusive games. As it is with electronic devices, there will always be a time when you might want to perform a reset of your PlayStation 5. Of course, everyone knows that you can easily reset the PS5 using a controller. But, what if your controller is not functioning and you need to perform a factory reset of your PS5?
Well, do you know that you can perform a factory reset on your PS5 without having to use the controller? It’s fairly simple and if you are looking for ways to factory reset without the controller, this is the guide for you. But before moving to the steps, check out the common issues which leads you to reset your PS5.
Why should I factory reset my PS5?
You need to reset your PS5 only when you feel that there’s something wrong with the device or some functions deem to not be working. Here are a lot of reasons why you need to perform a factory reset.
- When there’s a software bug after a certain software update.
- When the device fails to connect to your controllers
- When the device is not connecting to the internet via Wi-Fi.
- If the device is being sold or given away to another person.
- When the device is performing slower than its usual performance
How to reset PS5 without a controller
Before we take a look at the multiple ways you can follow to reset the PS5 without a controller, let’s first take a look at the steps that you would normally follow to reset the PS5.
- Select the Settings menu and choose System.
- Navigate and select System Software and finally Reset options.
- Select reset Console and affirm the reset confirmation dialog.
- Your PS5 will now begin to perform the reset.
Now that you know how to reset the PS5 using a controller, here are the different ways you can follow to reset your PS5 without the controller. Do note that the steps will be the same.
Use Wired Keyboard
If your controller is either broken, not working, or misplaced, you can still reset the PS5. For this, you will need to get yourself a wired USB type A keyboard. Since the PS5 is able to detect wired keyboards, you can connect it and navigate to the Settings menu to rest the PS5. All you need to do is make use of the arrow keys on the keyboard to navigate around your PS5.
Use Wired Mouse
Just like how the wired keyboard is detected by the PS5, you can also make use of a wired USB type A mouse. Simply connect it to your PS5 and your mouse pointer will be visible. Move your mouse and click on options to navigate through the Settings menu and finally perform the reset on your PS5.
Use the PlS Remote Play
The PS Remote Play is a great app that you can use to control and manage your PS5 console. The app can be downloaded and installed for free on Android and iOS devices. Here are the steps to connect the app to your PS5.
- Download and install the app. Also, make sure to sign in with the same PlayStation account that you’ve used on your PS5 console.
- The app will begin to search for the PS5 console. Once it finds the PS5 with the same account, the remote Play app will connect to it right away.
- On your mobile device, you can see the PS5’s output.
- All you need to do is navigate around through the Settings menu to perform a reset for your PS5.
- Of course, you can also make use of the app to play your games right from the app itself.
- For best results, connect to a WiFi network and ensure you have a minimum of 5Mbps network speed.
Use the PlayStation App
The official PlayStation app is also a great way to control your PS5 using just your Android or iOS device. You can easily download the app, sign in with the same account and be sure to be connected to the same WiFi network as that of the PS5. Once the app finds your PS5, you can easily control the PS5 and thus navigate and reset your PS5 without using the controller.
Now let’s take a look at some questions about resetting PS5.
Is it safe to factory reset my PS5?
Yes, it is safe to reset your PS5. Even the device manufacturer recommends performing a factory reset whenever you might either be having an issue or if the device is not functioning properly.
Does factory resetting my PS5 lose all my data?
Yes. Just like any device out there, all data stored on the device’s built-in internal storage will be erased. So, it’s best that you create a backup of all the data as well as remember the passwords for your accounts. If you have made custom settings, you might want to take a picture of it on your phone and then begin erasing the PS5.
Is the factory reset process the same for both variants of the PS5?
Since the software is the same for the digital and physical disc versions of the PS5, the process to reset it is the same.
This is how you can perform a rest on your PS5 by just using external peripherals or the PlayStation apps without the need of having your PS5 controller with you. Again no matter what method you follow to control your PS5, the steps to rest the PS5 console is the same. If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.