This month, Apple introduced three security features Apple ID iMessage Contact Key Verification, Advanced Data Protection, and Security Key. Advanced Data Protection is now available on iPhones and other Apple devices, thanks to the latest update – iOS 16.2. This is a great security feature for iCloud data. Here’s how to turn on Advanced Data Protection on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
The Security Key feature is also coming to the iPhone with the iOS 16.3 update. And soon the third security feature may also roll out. But for now, users can take advantage of the newly released Advanced Data Protection for iCloud.
What is Advanced Data Protection?
Advanced Data Protection Provides end-to-end encryption to iCloud backups and other iCloud data categories. iCloud already has security features but the new data protection takes it to the next level. This is because encrypted data can only be decrypted on trusted devices. And so even if there is a case of iCloud data theft, the encrypted data will not be decrypted.
Advanced Data Protection is Apple’s highest level of security for iCloud. The new option increases the end-to-end encryption to nine more of iCloud data categories.
- Device backup
- Messages backup
- iCloud Drive
- Safari bookmarks
- Siri Shortcuts
- Voice Memos
- Wallet passes
How to turn on Advanced Data Protection
The new feature is available on iPhone and iPad with the latest update. But it is disabled by default on both devices. So to enjoy this feature you need to enable it. To make it easy, I have prepared a guide for you. You can follow the mentioned steps to turn on Advanced Data Protection.
Note: Advanced Data Protection is currently available in the US. it is expected to reach more regions in 2023.
Turn on Advanced Data Protection on iPhone and iPad
- Make sure to update your device to iOS 16.2 or iPadOS 16.2.
- After that Open Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on your profile icon which will be on top.
- Look for iCloud and open it.
- Scroll down and you will find Advanced Data Protection, tap it to open.
- Tap ‘Turn On Advanced Data Protection.’
- Follow the onscreen instruction to set up the new feature. You will need to set at least one recovery method.
That’s it, now your iCloud data like Backups are more secure than ever.
Turn on Advanced Data Protection on Mac
If you have a Mac, you can follow these steps.
- Update your Mac to macOS 13.1.
- Now Click on the Apple icon and select System Settings.
- Next click your Name/Profile and choose the iCloud option.
- Here you will find Advanced Data Protection, open it.
- Click on ‘Turn On Advanced Data Protection.’
- Now follow the onscreen instructions and set up the recovery method.
How to turn off Advanced Data Protection for iCloud
If you decide to disable or turn off this feature, you can do so easily. Once you turn it off, the device will upload the encryption keys so that iCloud data is back to using standard data protection.
Open the Advanced Data Protection option under iCloud on your device (iPhone/iPad/Mac). And there you’ll find the button to turn it off, of course, if the feature is enabled in the first place. It is quite easy as you know the interface as you have already enabled the feature from the same settings.
Bonus: Recover iCloud Encrypted Data
If anything goes wrong, you will need to recover your encrypted iCloud data. The new feature restricts Apple from having your recovery keys. The recovery key is only available to the user that is set up when enabling data protection. Users can choose from three recovery options.
- Device passcode or password: Passcode of your Apple Device
- Recovery Contact: Apple Device from a trusted friend or family
- Recovery key: 28-character secret code
So there you have it, everything about Advanced Data Protection and how to enable it. I hope you find the guide useful and share it with your friends using Apple devices. If you have any queries, let us know in the comment section.
- How to use Apple Music Sing feature on iPhone and iPad
- How to Create and Use WhatsApp Avatars
- Apple TV+ Eligible Devices: Different Ways to Watch Apple TV+
- How to use Continuity Camera on macOS Ventura and iOS 16
- How to Recover Recently Deleted Messages on iPhone [iOS 16]
- How to Mirror Apple Watch to iPhone on iOS 16
- How to use same WhatsApp Account on Two Phones [Official Method]