After nearly two months of testing, Apple released iOS 16.2 to everyone. This is a big update after iOS 16.1. And just like iOS 16.1, it also includes some interesting new features. The new iOS 16.2 update is available for all iPhones eligible for iOS 16. Here’s everything there is to know about the iOS 16.2 update.
We expected the new update to land yesterday as most of the updates released by Apple were on Monday. But breaking the strike, Apple finally released iOS 16.2 on Tuesday. This is probably the last update before the holidays and hence a nice holiday treat for iPhone users.
Apple released updates for a bunch of other devices as well. Along with iOS 16.2, Apple brings iPadOS 16.2, iOS 15.7.2, iPadOS 15.7.2, watchOS 9.2, macOS Ventura 13.1, macOS Monterey 12.6.2, macOS Big Sur 11.7.2, HomePod Software 16.2, and tvOS 16.2. The latest iOS 16.2 update comes with build number 20C65. It is the same for the iPadOS 16.2 update as well. Now, this is an important as well as a big update that weighs over 1GB.
Now coming to the most interesting part is all the new features that come with this new iOS update. iOS 16.2 brings Apple Music Sing, Freeform App, New AOD options, Apple TV Live Activities for Sports, 5G support in India, SharePlay support in Game Center, and some more. Here you can check the official changelog.
What’s New in iOS 16.2:
This update introduces Freeform, an app that offers a great place to brainstorm and bring your ideas to life. This release also adds Apple Music Sing, Advanced Data Protection for iCloud, Lock Screen improvements, and other features and bug fixes for your iPhone.
- Freeform is a new app for working creatively with friends or colleagues on Mac, iPad and iPhone
- A flexible canvas lets you add files, images, stickies, and more
- Drawing tools let you sketch anywhere on the canvas with your finger
Apple Music Sing
- A new way to sing along with millions of your favorite songs in Apple Music
- Fully adjustable vocals let you duet with the original artist, sing solo, or mix it up
- Newly enhanced beat-by-beat lyrics make it even easier to follow along with the music
Advanced Data Protection for iCloud
- New option expands the total number of iCloud data categories protected using end-to-end encryption to 23 — including iCloud Backup, Notes, and Photos — protecting your information even in the case of a data breach in the cloud
- New settings allow you to hide wallpaper or notifications when Always-On display is enabled on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
- Sleep widget lets you view your most recent sleep data
- Medications widget lets you view reminders and quickly access your schedule
- SharePlay support in Game Center for multiplayer games so you can play with the people you are on a FaceTime call with
- Activity Widget allows you to see what your friends are playing and achieving in games right from your Home Screen
- Live Activities for Apple TV app let you follow your favorite teams with live scores right on your Lock Screen or in Dynamic Island on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
- Improved reliability and efficiency of communication between your smart home accessories and Apple devices
This update also includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
- Improved search in Messages allows you to find photos based on their content, like a dog, car, person, or text
- Reload and Show IP Address setting enables iCloud Private Relay users to temporarily disable the service for a specific site in Safari
- News articles in Weather display information relevant to the weather in that location
- Participant Cursors in Notes allow you to see live indicators as others make updates in a shared note
- AirDrop now automatically reverts to Contacts Only after 10 minutes to prevent unwanted requests to receive content
- Crash Detection optimizations on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models
- Fixes an issue that causes some notes not to sync with iCloud after updates are made
The new iOS 16.2 update is available to the Public. So if you have an eligible iPhone, you will receive the update on your device. As this build is the same as the RC build, you will not receive the update if you already updated to iOS 16.2 RC. Don’t worry both RC and the Public build are the same.
To manually check for the update go to Settings > General > Software Update. Once the update is available tap the Download and Install button.
Before updating your iPhone to iOS 16.2, make sure to take a backup of important data and charge it to at least 50%.